Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Signup Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:22:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Signup Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Signup Thread)  (Read 10943 times)
Dereich
YaBB God

« on: July 06, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »

The current Bundestag composition chart was incorrect, so I went ahead and made a new one with the proper colors and correct numbers:

Own creation made using the Parliament Diagram Tool

The listed parties were two short of 577 so I added two independents.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »

I’m not sure if it’s possible to have a no confidence vote in a single minister, but the government from my knowledge is taking a look

Seems like it.

Quote from: Article 54, Constitution of 1919
The Chancellor and national ministers must have the confidence of the Reichstag for the exercise of their offices. Any one of them must resign if the Reichstag withdraws its confidence by express resolution.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »

Procedural question

Do abstentions reduce the majority threshold?

Quote from: Article 32, Constitution of 1919
A resolution of the Reichstag requires a simple majority of the votes cast, except as the constitution requires another majority. The rules of procedure of the Reichstag may permit exceptions in the case of elections held by it.

I have been using the version availible on Wikisource here: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Weimar_constitution
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »

Procedural question

A resolution of the Reichstag requires a simple majority of the votes cast, except as the constitution requires another majority. The rules of procedure of the Reichstag may permit exceptions in the case of elections held by it.

I have been using the version availible on Wikisource here: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Weimar_constitution
Is a simple majority not 50% of all the votes cast?

Generally an abstention does not count as a cast vote.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 01:16:00 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2020, 01:23:10 PM by Dereich »

Procedural question

Is a simple majority not 50% of all the votes cast?

Generally an abstention does not count as a cast vote.
Well, I think it would be preferable for Herr Hitler to allow his MPs to vote their conscience. Maybe he would be willing to do that. If not, we should settle for this

Nice try. Save that for the gameplay thread.

I'd argue that an abstention would be similar to someone in the U.S Congress voting "Present", actually.

It would be the same. If 80 senators voted Present, a bill would pass with 11 votes. In systems that don't specify that the votes of a majority of members are needed, an abstention is essentially half a vote for aye and half a vote for nay.

If you'd like to read more, this law review article talks about the effects of abstentions. I'd pay particular note to page 24 (607 on the actual article) which describes relative quotas.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »

Nice to see everyone getting along Smiley
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 09:08:16 PM »

Any new players from here on out should probably take Nazi or leftist politicians though

We have many conservatives

I didn't choose the von Papen life. It chose me.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »

Opening the door again for interviews

@FvP
@PvLV
@AH
@OW

In particular

I would be happy to.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2020, 12:35:32 PM by Dereich »

Behold, the Reichstag of 1932:

I slightly tweaked the BVP and the DNVP colors to make them stand out. I also changed the VU color at Lumine's request. I also added the one SAP seat to the SDP.

Just for fun, here's the chart with the electoral coalitions:

Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »

I understand there’s a lot of intrigue going on

Germany needs a government, any government soon

I hope we have a cabinet within the next day

I'm working on it, dang it.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 10:14:51 PM »

Kurt von Schleicher is whisked away to a plane, and for now at least is gone from the main scene of the game.

Paul von Hindenburg realizes he has very little control of who comes and who goes among his advisors

I entirely feel the President's pain.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »

Timeline of the First Hour of the Second von Papen Ministry

10:36 PM: Government announced!

10:41 PM: CRISIS! Government loses key support unless ministerial change is made.

11:05 PM: Cabinet Reshuffled!

11:35 PM: CRISIS! Anti-Government General Strike Announced!

Thanks guys
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 01:51:20 PM »

I've been away from the forum for the last two days and haven't responded to any PMs in that time. Sorry about that.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 01:52:05 PM »

You were just waiting for some excuse, any excuse, to make a red wedding pun weren't you?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »

Ah yes, Britain and France. I completely forgot about them when publicly announcing something which would violate the Treaty of Versailles and certainly did not factor in their response to my announcement.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 10:57:19 PM »

It is amazing how quickly the right, center-left and far-left set aside their differences.

Give it a week. They'll be back at again.

A full week? Rather optimistic of you!
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »

Thank you @NYE for his dedicated gameplay as the most evil man, thwarted before his schemes could come to fruition.

If you desire to take another character you are welcome, thank you for playing.

Given the likely British and French (and possibly Soviet) reaction to the violation in the Treaty of Versailles in putting down Hitler's putsch, if I were to play as someone else, it would probably Ramsey MacDonald (currently the British Prime Minister) or Josef Stalin (no friend of the German right, and probably not a friend of Von Papen, even if he did put down Hitler.)

That's an interesting idea, but I will probably keep foreign characters in my hand.

Fair enough. I do suggest a British/French invasion of Western Germany as the result of the Versailles violations though.

Lets say that a British/French invasion would come as a shock.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »

As has been observed, I have been mostly away since a major transition began at work1 about a month back, my time to address this game as it deserves has been extremely limited. For a few weeks I thought it would be sufficient if I ignored things for a few days and followed up with a clump of responses, but while that might suit some games this one in particular requires rapid response and action. So I'll officially withdraw as von Papen. I really want to thank KaiserDave for actually reaching out to have me join and for keeping everything so compelling and fresh.

1 I am moving to a new courtroom at the start of next month requiring me to resolve as many of my pending cases as possible, to push up as many time consuming things such as depositions to this month on the cases that cannot be resolved, and to learn the 95 new cases I am inheriting.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 08:08:57 AM »

I'm so happy.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 08:27:34 PM »

I created this meme using a photograph in the public domain
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies