Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Signup Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:00:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Signup Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Crumbling Reich: A Weimar Republic Game (Signup Thread)  (Read 10956 times)
RGM2609
« on: June 30, 2020, 04:50:11 PM »

Are either Von Papen or Hugenberg available?
RGM2609
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 05:26:08 PM »

Are either Von Papen or Hugenberg available?

Hugenberg is! Von Papen was reserved privately.
Alright. I would like Hugenberg, please.
RGM2609
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 04:54:43 PM »

Wikimedia Commons

Custom Character Application

Character Name: Alfred Hugenberg
Character Age: 67
Character Gender: Male
Character Appearance:
Character Party (if military, provide their ideological sympathies): DNVP
Character Traits (keep it balanced and interesting): He is a wealthy media proprietor with nationalist views to the point of being a fanatical. He is very ambitious and willing to do anything to gather more power, but he might overestimate himself and his skills, leading to failure.
Character Bio: Hugenberg entered the Prussian finance ministry in 1903. In 1909 he became chairman of Krupp, a title he held until 1918. In 1916, he started building a business empire of his own, including the media propaganda machine. After the fall of the Empire, he joined the DNVP as the leader of its rightist wing. He launched relentless attacks towards leftists and the promoters of the Treaty of Versailles, demanding for Germany to get out of it. After he became the leader of the party, he started doing coalitions with NSDAP, hoping to use them for his own purposes.
Other Character Info: Hugenberg hopes to gather up as much power as possible and reverse the decline of the DNVP by mobilizing around him the more moderate of fascists, the nationalists, the right wing conservatives, the anticommunists, the reactionary monarchists, the patriotic populists and the antisemites.
RGM2609
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 05:02:59 PM »

Unfortunately, I will not be able to play in the game anymore. I have realized I will get too busy in this period, sorry.
RGM2609
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 05:33:47 PM »

Unfortunately, I will not be able to play in the game anymore. I have realized I will get too busy in this period, sorry.

Sorry to hear

We will need a new Hugenberg then
Good luck with that!
RGM2609
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »

Will newspaper interviews be a thing?
RGM2609
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 12:57:22 PM »

Procedural question

Do abstentions reduce the majority threshold?

Quote from: Article 32, Constitution of 1919
A resolution of the Reichstag requires a simple majority of the votes cast, except as the constitution requires another majority. The rules of procedure of the Reichstag may permit exceptions in the case of elections held by it.

I have been using the version availible on Wikisource here: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Weimar_constitution
Is a simple majority not 50% of all the votes cast?
RGM2609
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 01:04:00 PM »

Procedural question

A resolution of the Reichstag requires a simple majority of the votes cast, except as the constitution requires another majority. The rules of procedure of the Reichstag may permit exceptions in the case of elections held by it.

I have been using the version availible on Wikisource here: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Weimar_constitution

Generally an abstention does not count as a cast vote.
Well, I think it would be preferable for Herr Hitler to allow his MPs to vote their conscience. Maybe he would be willing to do that. If not, we should settle for this
RGM2609
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 01:12:23 PM »

Procedural question

Generally an abstention does not count as a cast vote.
Well, I think it would be preferable for Herr Hitler to allow his MPs to vote their conscience. Maybe he would be willing to do that. If not, we should settle for this

Nice try. Save that for the gameplay thread.

I'd argue that an abstention would be similar to someone in the U.S Congress voting "Present", actually.
It was not a gameplay try. In fact it would disadvantage the government *eyeroll* But do your thing I guess
RGM2609
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 07:22:34 PM »

Really tempted to join at this point, is there a character/party which is important to have filled? Have been going through some alternatives (Lettow Vorbeck, Rupprecht of Bavaria, Hugo Eckener, maybe Goering) but I'm unconvinced by them.
Maybe Zentrum needs to have a party leader?
RGM2609
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 09:01:46 PM »

From what I understand, a new government has already been formed and now we are waiting for KaiserDave to make a post announcing it
RGM2609
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 10:19:09 PM »

Kurt von Schleicher is whisked away to a plane, and for now at least is gone from the main scene of the game.

Paul von Hindenburg realizes he has very little control of who comes and who goes among his advisors

I entirely feel the President's pain.

Yes, you almost lost your right hand from the Cabinet. Tongue
Almost.
RGM2609
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »

Still following this game.

I can't imagine Britain or France being okay Eupen-Malmedy being returned to Germany...

What's next, the port of Danzig?

I doubt they are pleased, but -

1. It was not an invasion, Belgium wanted to sell it, which is why they accepted my proposal
2. Do you really think anyone would start a war for that piece of land obtained peacefully?
3. Germany is not much of a threat right now as it faced near implosion several times
RGM2609
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 08:18:36 PM »

I'd love to have a Kaiser Wilhelm in game. Could make things interesting.
For the record,  I would love to play the pretender to the throne as soon as it is available.

Totally! He is increasingly relevant! Do you want Wilhelm II or Crown Prince Wilhelm?
Who is the claimant exactly?

Wilhelm II is the legitimate claimant but he is widely rejected by liberals and foreign powers

Crown Prince Wilhelm has become a more likely pragmatic pick

His children are also considered

Somehow I'm not certain a member of Stalhelm with avowed far-right sympathies would exactly be welcomed by liberals either.

Yeah, but when compared to the former Kaiser, he probably seems like a lesser evil to them.
RGM2609
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »

I'd love to have a Kaiser Wilhelm in game. Could make things interesting.
For the record,  I would love to play the pretender to the throne as soon as it is available.

Totally! He is increasingly relevant! Do you want Wilhelm II or Crown Prince Wilhelm?
Who is the claimant exactly?

Wilhelm II is the legitimate claimant but he is widely rejected by liberals and foreign powers

Crown Prince Wilhelm has become a more likely pragmatic pick

His children are also considered

Somehow I'm not certain a member of Stalhelm with avowed far-right sympathies would exactly be welcomed by liberals either.

Yeah, but when compared to the former Kaiser, he probably seems like a lesser evil to them.

There is no "Yeah, but . . ." after that point. The Crown Prince was anti-democratic and illiberal with avowed far-right sympathies and had wanted to run as the right wing candidate in 1932 and twice met with Hitler in 1926 and 1932.

There is no "Yeah but". None. Nada. Zip.

What I obviously meant was that if the Monarchy gets a restauration (such as by that referendum you proposed), the right-wing Crown Prince is better than the Kaiser who lost the Great War and would lead to a mobilization by France...
RGM2609
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 05:38:28 AM »

Given that Dereich has been inactive for some time now and the game can not start again without a Chancellor, I would be open to taking on the role of Franz von Papen shall everyone here agree. This combined with a new claimant should be enough to restart it to a degree.

RGM2609
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 12:03:43 PM »

Given that Dereich has been inactive for some time now and the game can not start again without a Chancellor, I would be open to taking on the role of Franz von Papen shall everyone here agree. This combined with a new claimant should be enough to restart it to a degree.

I've said I'd also be willing to take Von Papen on a temporary basis if needed.

Would you also be willing to take on as Hugenberg?
RGM2609
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 01:00:14 PM »

I've said I'd also be willing to take Von Papen on a temporary basis if needed.

Would you also be willing to take on as Hugenberg?

I thought you were Hugenberg.

I'd be willing to be Von Papen, but I am doing another game, and I'm wary of overstretching myself.

So multiple roles in this game would be a problem.

Tbh, I want to be FvP too, so I was asking if you would want to replace me as Hugenberg. But anyway, I guess we will see.
RGM2609
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 02:05:48 PM »

I would almost prefer for RGM to take on the role of the entire cabinet and Reich Chancellor as to streamline action. But if he wants to take on FvP exclusively Im not opposed.

I thought that was off the table. I would obviously agree to it as it was my original idea anyway.

On the Dereich confirmation, I am pretty sure he has stopped responding to PMs about the game weeks ago. Waiting for it would just continue the current gridlock.
RGM2609
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »

I'm okay with RGM becoming Franz von Papen and NYE going Hugenberg. Just confirm with Dereich before we go ahead.

Flip it and I'd be happier.

That said, I'd be fine with being Hugenberg as well. It would being both Von Papen and Hugenberg that would sink me, as again, I'm committed to another game, and I'd rather not overstretch myself.

Also, yeah, we shouldn't wait for Dereich.

Another option you have is taking on to playing as one of the Nazi fugitive leaders and try to organize a shadow resistance. I think that will be fun and prevent the government from becoming too powerful.
RGM2609
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »

I'm okay with RGM becoming Franz von Papen and NYE going Hugenberg. Just confirm with Dereich before we go ahead.

Flip it and I'd be happier.

That said, I'd be fine with being Hugenberg as well. It would being both Von Papen and Hugenberg that would sink me, as again, I'm committed to another game, and I'd rather not overstretch myself.

Also, yeah, we shouldn't wait for Dereich.

Another option you have is taking on to playing as one of the Nazi fugitive leaders and try to organize a shadow resistance. I think that will be fun and prevent the government from becoming too powerful.

Only one left is Heydrich (unless Goebbels and Georing are still alive somewhere...)

I think there are more of them but I think KaiserDave knows more about it. Also FvP has, for some reason, granted lenience to most Nazis I arrested after your coup so you have some forces to reorganize.
RGM2609
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 11:31:08 PM »

I created this meme using a photograph in the public domain

I quite agree. We could have won that vote legitimately, rather than Hugenberg rigging the election, and then none of this would have happened.

As if that could have happened lol. Be thankfull you did not have to resign after the Republican victory in the referendum
RGM2609
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 11:58:53 PM »

I created this meme using a photograph in the public domain

I quite agree. We could have won that vote legitimately, rather than Hugenberg rigging the election, and then none of this would have happened.

As if that could have happened lol. Be thankfull you did not have to resign after the Republican victory in the referendum

If the Republicans had won, I would have stayed on as Chancellor. But we'll never know now.

It was your own decision to resign.
Anyway, the determination of the KPD and SPD to take me down is completely understandable and adds value to the game. Yours is just petty if I can be honest.
RGM2609
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2020, 12:07:58 AM »

There was basically no way for us to win fairly, since Zentrum allied with the Republicans. Accept that already lol
RGM2609
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2020, 12:13:08 AM »

There was basically no way for us to win fairly, since Zentrum allied with the Republicans. Accept that already lol

Do the math. Half of Zentrum allied with the Republicans. Not all of Zentrum.

And that's their decision. But you didn't have to make things worse by stuffing ballots. I would have preferred losing the referendum and having a working relationship, to what's going on now.

I would not have preffered that, and it is my call.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies