Can Dems actually flip the TX State House?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:33:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can Dems actually flip the TX State House?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Dems actually flip the TX State House?  (Read 590 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2020, 02:11:41 AM »

I've read multiple times now Dems could theoretically flip the TX State House. How likely is this going to happen? The GOP currently holds 83 seats, compared to 67 Dems. Does it require Biden to flip TX in November and have enough coattails? And what about state senate?

Since the State House is gerrymandered, winning would give Dems the power to prevent further gerrymandering and therefore get a better map for 2022, helping to keep the majority.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »

Texas has some weird redistricting procedure. If Dems win the House, then the House, Senate, and Gov cannot agree on a new map, it kicks it to some other GOP-controlled decision maker.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »

Texas has some weird redistricting procedure. If Dems win the House, then the House, Senate, and Gov cannot agree on a new map, it kicks it to some other GOP-controlled decision maker.

I thought it went to the courts which are apparently less likely to draw a gerrymander, but correct me if I'm wrong about those.

They can flip the House (though it's unlikely) but not the state Senate.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 10:21:50 AM »

I thought it went to the courts which are apparently less likely to draw a gerrymander, but correct me if I'm wrong about those.

I think Dems will win more seats but fall short of a majority.

Then they would hold the House only from 2021-2023 anyway.

I know we aren't supposed to talk redistricting on this board, but here's a quick blurb for everyone on the Texas process:

If Texas senate or house districts are not enacted during the first regular session following the publication of the decennial census, the Legislative Redistricting Board meets and adopts its own plan. In theory, the LRB would be composed of the lieutenant governor (R), speaker of the house (D or R), attorney general (R), comptroller (R), and commissioner of the general land office (R). So Dems would have no chance.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »

I think Dems will win more seats but fall short of a majority.

Then they would hold the House only from 2021-2023 anyway.

I know we aren't supposed to talk redistricting on this board, but here's a quick blurb for everyone on the Texas process:

If Texas senate or house districts are not enacted during the first regular session following the publication of the decennial census, the Legislative Redistricting Board meets and adopts its own plan. In theory, the LRB would be composed of the lieutenant governor (R), speaker of the house (D or R), attorney general (R), comptroller (R), and commissioner of the general land office (R). So Dems would have no chance.

Yeah the bigger effect would be the Dems forcing a milder congressional map for at minimum the 2022 elections. Once the GOP take the house back in this hypothetical situation they would move to redraw the districts to their advantage using Texas's mid-decade redistricting laws, however this would almost certainly initiate a lawsuit chain so its still a net positive for Dems when compared to the hypothetical where the GOP maintains the trifecta in 2020.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies