Age of Steam and Steel: Concert of Europe Part III (Sign up and Rules Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:43:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Age of Steam and Steel: Concert of Europe Part III (Sign up and Rules Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Age of Steam and Steel: Concert of Europe Part III (Sign up and Rules Thread)  (Read 16099 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: June 26, 2020, 10:25:30 PM »

A few questions, what is the status of the Azores, Shetland, the Nicobar and Andaman, and the Faroe Islands as they don't seem to be colored on your map, though it may be at ill my poor eyesight? I would also like to apologize for my conduct in the last game Concert of Europe, I did all of my fellow players a disservice in playing so poorly as the Kingdom of the Netherlands as I did and it showed my youth and inexperience in these games, I hope that my performance in Death and Dynasty's, King and Country, and other games has shown my maturation over this time. As always, I would like to thank Spamage for his incredible work on running this game as it shows a care and knowledge for history few others possess.

My first choice would be the Kingdom of Scandinavia which if memory serves was played by Ypestis in the last iteration of this series. The Scandinavian nations in these games have become somewhat of an area of interest of mine and I played the roles of King Christian II, King Frederick III & Christian IV in history games since our last foray into the concert series, I feel I am willing and able to take the role of a great power and the Kingdom of Scandinavia is one of great interest. Of course, if another more experienced player like Ypestis would be of preference that works as well as this is his nation from the previous game.

My second choice would be a reprisal of my role as the Kingdom of the Netherlands from Encore of Europe. Which without caution I can say ended in disaster, I played terribly and was rather inactive. Nevertheless, I think that I can return the Kingdom to greatness and remove the treachery of the dirty republicans. This nation looks to be in a solid position continuing the secure foothold on the east indies and Australia that they had at the end of Concert of Europe.

Again, thank you Spamage for hosting this great game and thanks to everyone who makes these games the great fun that they always are.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »

The Netherlands it is then!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 01:42:48 AM »

I realise I'm comically slow but who do I blame again for selling my glorious crown jewel of India?

I did some spelunking and it appears we can blame Dkrol for the French hegemony over the subcontinent, I have gone back to Concert of Europe a game I wasn't involved in, but by turn 3 we had this conflict:
Kingdom of France, Empire of Russia, Archduchy of Austria, Kingdom of Sweden (and others) v. Kingdom of Great Britain, Kingdom of Prussia, Ottoman Empire, Kingdom of Portugal, Kingdom of Denmark-Norway (and others)

From what I can skim, Prussia bought Corsica for some reason, Lumine kept trying to kill people I'm pretty sure he killed the Pope, Empress of Russia, and tried to kill a couple others. The plague came back, Lumine tried to kill the King of France, the British pissed off Bengali folks and then Louis XV made them a pretty sweet offer and that's where I think we get the French domination.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:57:03 PM »

Can we know which Chinese dynasty is which as I can't honestly say which dynasty is which, my best quest is the neon green is Qing, purple is Guang, and then the black is Xing.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 02:34:18 PM »

I'd agree with the gents above it's better to have a longer turn then a delayed turn in my opinion like if turn 1 began on 30 June but went until 9 July for example I think that'd be better than it going from 6 July to 13 July just so we're able to keep all our ducks in the pond.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 05:10:11 AM »

When?

I don't see either a post by BK asking for the post, nor him listed as a player in the start post.

I believe he asked for it in the interest thread, but I do not think he has requested it in this thread.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »

I realise I'm comically slow but who do I blame again for selling my glorious crown jewel of India?
From what I can skim, Prussia bought Corsica for some reason, Lumine kept trying to kill people I'm pretty sure he killed the Pope, Empress of Russia, and tried to kill a couple others. The plague came back, Lumine tried to kill the King of France, the British pissed off Bengali folks and then Louis XV made them a pretty sweet offer and that's where I think we get the French domination.

To defend the remnants of my honor as a Prussian monarch, it bears reminding that I never killed the Pope why would I?), and the attempt on Louis was, I believe, a clever false flag. I've done some pretty awful things (initially out of self-defense, then out of excessively cold pragmatism or hotheaded rashness), so there's no need to embellish with crimes I didn't actually commit.

And yeah, the British did sell Bengal, as they focused their efforts elsewhere (Australia and the Americas), plus they had to deal with Jacobite rebellions. The Corsica thing was me making an offer just in case, only to learn I was the only player who actually bid for the island. Then it grew into a territory I became somewhat emotionally attached to, until I made stupid mistakes and felt forced to sell it.  

If something bad happens always blame the Prussians!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »

I really like this naval system. I do have a question though, for the Economy/Popularity can you change the green back.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 10:53:29 PM »

Can I take the Kingdom of Mexico, as I have not played a nation game actively for a while.

You're welcome to join at the start of the next turn. I've already done some NPC deals as Mexico for 1835 and it wouldn't be fair to some players to retract them Tongue

I really like this naval system. I do have a question though, for the Economy/Popularity can you change the green back.
In what sense?

The dark green messes with my vibe I like the light green for strong you changed it.

For example

old

new
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 05:38:46 PM »

I've always been unsure but how do mid-turn updates work?

I love them but to give away my secrets I tend to send my turn orders as late as possible; both to allow myself to think but also to sort out diplomatic lose ends; are we encouraged to send them earlier?

It sort of varies, but they're mostly to give updates on NPC developments, urgent actions by some players, geopolitical developments (like if war is declared). People would not be operating a whole year without hearing of major developments elsewhere, hence forcing players to respond to sometimes sudden changes. When people get their orders in early that can be material for a mid-turn update, but generally only if they've been explicit about implementing it or are engaged in a shocking action (surprise attack etc.).

I mean, no one is penalized for not responding to them in any way, but it is how it can be made clear when there's a major shift.

Turn orders at the end of the turn is perfectly fine, no pressure at all.

I've always thought of them as a major development that might affect your country in a pretty major way. Like if Britain sent their orders before the mid-turn update there may be need to change their orders in order to respond to the mid-turn update as their actions may have relied on the Suez or the leader of the Colombia.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 03:52:23 PM »

We on turn 1 and I'm already confused
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »

Is Blair still interested in playing? Britain is the only one of the seven Suez powers to not sign the Treaty of Versailles and I haven't heard back on a PM I sent, but he has been on TE some.

Cross posting here but the rumours of my death are exaggerated; I had a mildy frustrating week at work so would glance at my messages & follow events but as always I tend to leave all my events/decisions to one big chunk- so expect PMs right now folks!

Blair is dead! Long live Blair!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »

I'm good with an extension truth be told I've been quite the slothful Susan in terms of this game, my apologies to the gents, I've been working on my sleep schedule getting it turned around.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 03:00:38 PM »

I wouldn't mind deferring to Ishan, but in case Prussia is judged to be solely for experienced players then Quebec would be open for him (if it helps, I could write a guide with my actions thus far).

(Don't want to get too ahead of myself though, for all I know I could end up with a game over this turn or Europe could explode in flames)

Haha Europe go Boom
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »

So which do we get first, the 1837 News of the World, or Biden announcing his VP selection?  Devil

Gentlemen, we have our answer. haha
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies