Age of Steam and Steel: Concert of Europe Part III (Sign up and Rules Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:10:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Age of Steam and Steel: Concert of Europe Part III (Sign up and Rules Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: Age of Steam and Steel: Concert of Europe Part III (Sign up and Rules Thread)  (Read 15963 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2020, 08:39:48 PM »

I'd be interested in claiming the Tokugawa Shogunate
Already taken by BK
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2020, 09:42:45 PM »

When?

I don't see either a post by BK asking for the post, nor him listed as a player in the start post.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2020, 05:10:11 AM »

When?

I don't see either a post by BK asking for the post, nor him listed as a player in the start post.

I believe he asked for it in the interest thread, but I do not think he has requested it in this thread.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2020, 06:39:32 AM »

This is what he says:
Very excited to reprise my role as Japan, will try to be more active this time Smiley

I got some PMs from players. I'm going to answer them as soon as the game starts!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 07:32:04 AM »

I've asked Spamage for some clarifications of what the situation is in Korea and Japan, since it appears that Japan was more active in the prior game than I would have thought, since it had no player, but was apparently spurred into action by the Dutch trying to start a variant of the Opium Wars half a century early!

My early attempts at diplomacy were made while I was unaware of that particular foolishness, so assuming that remains canon, I may need to rethink my policies for Korea and its foreign relations.

(The Qing invasion of Korea in the prior game was also unexpected, but doesn't significantly affect anything I've done or planned, since the outcome was essentially a return to the status ante bellum.)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 04:57:45 PM »

I realise I'm comically slow but who do I blame again for selling my glorious crown jewel of India?
From what I can skim, Prussia bought Corsica for some reason, Lumine kept trying to kill people I'm pretty sure he killed the Pope, Empress of Russia, and tried to kill a couple others. The plague came back, Lumine tried to kill the King of France, the British pissed off Bengali folks and then Louis XV made them a pretty sweet offer and that's where I think we get the French domination.

To defend the remnants of my honor as a Prussian monarch, it bears reminding that I never killed the Pope why would I?), and the attempt on Louis was, I believe, a clever false flag. I've done some pretty awful things (initially out of self-defense, then out of excessively cold pragmatism or hotheaded rashness), so there's no need to embellish with crimes I didn't actually commit.

And yeah, the British did sell Bengal, as they focused their efforts elsewhere (Australia and the Americas), plus they had to deal with Jacobite rebellions. The Corsica thing was me making an offer just in case, only to learn I was the only player who actually bid for the island. Then it grew into a territory I became somewhat emotionally attached to, until I made stupid mistakes and felt forced to sell it.  
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »

I realise I'm comically slow but who do I blame again for selling my glorious crown jewel of India?
From what I can skim, Prussia bought Corsica for some reason, Lumine kept trying to kill people I'm pretty sure he killed the Pope, Empress of Russia, and tried to kill a couple others. The plague came back, Lumine tried to kill the King of France, the British pissed off Bengali folks and then Louis XV made them a pretty sweet offer and that's where I think we get the French domination.

To defend the remnants of my honor as a Prussian monarch, it bears reminding that I never killed the Pope why would I?), and the attempt on Louis was, I believe, a clever false flag. I've done some pretty awful things (initially out of self-defense, then out of excessively cold pragmatism or hotheaded rashness), so there's no need to embellish with crimes I didn't actually commit.

And yeah, the British did sell Bengal, as they focused their efforts elsewhere (Australia and the Americas), plus they had to deal with Jacobite rebellions. The Corsica thing was me making an offer just in case, only to learn I was the only player who actually bid for the island. Then it grew into a territory I became somewhat emotionally attached to, until I made stupid mistakes and felt forced to sell it.  

If something bad happens always blame the Prussians!
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2020, 05:52:07 PM »

If something bad happens always blame the Prussians!

The Prussians were usually responsible...
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »

Okay, Turn 1 is posted and starts today. I'll extend it through next Thursday unless everyone gets their responses in to me early.

I will be adding Japan, the military totals, and navies either tonight or tomorrow.

Now that the turn is posted I can start responding to some PMs. Be warned veterans, I am cleaning out my inbox from the last game so I can better track this one.

Let the scheming begin Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2020, 08:50:34 PM »

Brilliant work!

Question, am I Louis-Ferdinand or Louis-Henry? Both names appear on the gameplay thread.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2020, 09:40:44 PM »

Brilliant work!

Question, am I Louis-Ferdinand or Louis-Henry? Both names appear on the gameplay thread.

Louis Henry, my mistake Smiley
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2020, 11:40:35 AM »

When might we expect the army and navy information to be up?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2020, 01:50:28 PM »

The whigs are so annoying when you are a king.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2020, 10:18:36 PM »

Army totals have been posted.

I'm torn on how I'm going to do navies this game. Speaking from experience over the past two games, the tracking of who was building what ships when proved tedious, especially as fleets were only seldom used in actual military operations. Rather than trying to keep track of thousands of vessels of various sizes, I'm considering ranking navies on two scales: size and technological advancement. Each will provide bonuses (or maluses) based on the rank of course. Players can use their navies as they see fit in their operations. Obviously, and perhaps more realistically, exact engagements other than ambushes couldn't be exactly planned, but fleets could patrol regions searching for one another. Investment in either new technology or more ships could weigh on the economy, but would have the potential to increase one or the other category.

I'd like some player input though. If you would like me to keep the old system, I definitely will, but looking into the ship numbers will probably take some time.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2020, 11:34:45 PM »

I have no knowledge of how naval affairs have been done in past games, but I'd prefer to have some differentiation between ships-of-the-line, frigates, and maybe lesser vessels, as they serve different purposes.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2020, 12:16:09 AM »

I think a transition to the new system is probably warranted and could serve as a dry run for a new warfare system as the Encore world continues to industrialize. Players would have to accept some generalities to naval orders, say "a quarter of my fleet is to patrol the English Channel," but it'd be better than very specific orders which weren't terribly realistic anyway as you mentioned.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2020, 07:38:22 AM »

I like the old system
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »

I think a transition to the new system is probably warranted and could serve as a dry run for a new warfare system as the Encore world continues to industrialize. Players would have to accept some generalities to naval orders, say "a quarter of my fleet is to patrol the English Channel," but it'd be better than very specific orders which weren't terribly realistic anyway as you mentioned.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2020, 12:41:13 PM »

I support the new system. Trust me, it's a sheer pain to keep track of fleets as a GM, and it serves little point to force Spamage to waste too much time on it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2020, 01:06:58 PM »

I support the new system. Trust me, it's a sheer pain to keep track of fleets as a GM, and it serves little point to force Spamage to waste too much time on it.

I'll defer to Spamage and your judgement
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2020, 02:39:19 PM »

I will be adding Japan, the military totals, and navies either tonight or tomorrow.
Who is Japan? Should I pick another country?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2020, 06:39:41 PM »

Who is Japan? Should I pick another country?

Please see my PM. If I don't hear from BK in a day, you can take Japan...
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2020, 07:04:26 PM »

OK, so I think I am going to go forward with the modifications to the Navy Ranking after all. I'm going to add this to the rules at the beginning if there's space, but I wanted to give a great in-depth explanation.

Fleets will be graded based on two factors: naval technology and naval size. Each of these will be along a six-point scale like the Economic Standings and Popularity at the beginning of each turn. You can seek to expand your navy or innovate and move up the scale, but the odds of reaching each higher level decrease, while the potential effect on the economy is an ever-present risk.

Naval defeat can move you back down the Naval Size scale. It's less likely that you'll move backwards on the Naval Technology tree.

Naval Technology
First-Rate: This navy employs all of the latest technologies across its fleet including new tactics, equipment, and training. Truly among one of the best seafaring fleets in the world.
Innovative: New strategic ideas are planned and tested, further modifications have been made to equipment for more efficient operation.
Advanced: Ships are modernized and equipment is top of the line. Overall better organized than modernized fleets.
Modernized: Navy is at standard levels of development for time period.
Reformed: The naval equipment is near-modernized, though experience and training with new supplies is lacking.
Modified: Although still dominated by old ships and methods, efforts have been made to reform the navy, including the purchase of ships from more advanced powers.
Traditional: This navy still employs tactics, methods, and equipment from the 1700s or earlier. Limited sea capabilities and stagnant mindset.

Naval Size
Dominant: This power truly has a global naval reach. Advanced fleets at various points of the world and the ability to supply said vessels with relative ease. More than two hundred vessels in active service
Massive: Extensive naval reach, able to operate in most areas, assuming supply is secured. Around two hundred vessels.
Sizable: Naval reach includes most of surrounding seas. Roughly one hundred and fifty vessels, with the ports able to supply them.
Standard: Naval strength can be projected in the region, with further excursions when necessary. Around one hundred ships.
Limited: Several dozen ships. Extensive and long-distance operations are possible, but only on rare occasions.
Small: A dozen major ships, limited regional navy.
Nonexistent: Primarily applies to landlocked countries. No navy in existence.*

*-Not applicable for anyone right away

Navies of the World
United Kingdom of Britain, Ireland, and the Americas (First-Rate, Dominant)
Kingdom of France (First-Rate, Dominant)
Kingdom of Scandinavia (Innovative, Sizable)
Confederation of New England (Innovative, Small)
Kingdom of Prussia (Advanced, Sizable)
Kingdom of the Netherlands (Advanced, Sizable)
Kingdom of Naples (Advanced, Standard)
Kingdom of Spain (Modernized, Massive)
Kingdom of Quebec (Modernized, Limited)
Republic of Brazil (Modernized, Limited)
Habsburg Monarchy (Modernized, Limited)
Kingdom of Louisiana (Modernized, Small)
Russian Empire (Reformed, Standard)
Ottoman Empire (Modified, Standard)
Tokugawa Japan (Modified, Standard)
Qing Dynasty (Traditional, Sizable)
Xing Dynasty (Traditional, Standard)
Joseon Korea (Traditional, Limited)
Eyalet of Egypt (Traditional, Small)

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »

I really like this naval system. I do have a question though, for the Economy/Popularity can you change the green back.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:39 PM »

Can I take the Kingdom of Mexico, as I have not played a nation game actively for a while.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies