S.20.2-21: 1776 Will Commence Again Resolution (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:00:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-21: 1776 Will Commence Again Resolution (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.2-21: 1776 Will Commence Again Resolution (Final Vote)  (Read 854 times)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2020, 07:36:36 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2020, 06:09:48 PM by Southern Speaker Muad'dib (OSR MSR) »

1776 Will Commence Again Resolution

Whereas, the Southern Region offers the most freedom to it's residents;

Whereas, the Southern Region has been known to fully support and encourage it's residents to exercise their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms;

Whereas, the Southern Region has been known to fully support and encourage it's residents to exercise their Constitutional right to free expression;

Whereas, the Southern Region, along with all of Atlasia, celebrates Independence Day on July 4th;

Be it resolved, that the Southern Government:

1. Encourages Southern residents to celebrate Independence Day by practicing target shooting on their properties or at licensed facilities with any legally acquired or rented firearm of their choice.

2. Encourages the use of low potency explosives in Independence Day celebrations.

3. Encourages Southern residents to proudly display any Atlasian, Regional, State, or Local flag of their choice. Examples include, but are not limited to current, historical, and previously proposed flags.

4. Encourages the appreciation of statues erected to memorialize all Southern historical figures, and does not support applying modern moral standards that did not exist in the time the person lived.
Author: Fhtagn (VA)
Sponsor: Speaker & Delegate Muaddib (D/F - MS)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »

Pretty simple stuff. It's a resolution confirming that the Southern Government supports Southern values.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 08:09:51 PM »

I see no problem with this legislation. I'm a strong supporter of our 2nd amendment right with rare exceptions.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 08:17:20 PM »

I see no problem with this legislation. I'm a strong supporter of our 2nd amendment right with rare exceptions.

I concur with this sentiment
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 08:23:47 PM »

I will oppose this, this seems reactionary with events going on, and highly political at that. In regards to fireworks, not really a fan of launching them in neighborhoods, it's an annoying nuisance
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »

I strongly oppose this as it gives license to racist acts
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 09:44:47 PM »

Are you saying the Constitution is racist?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »

Quote from: bad fhtagn bill
3. Encourages Southern residents to proudly display any Atlasian, Regional, State, or Local flag of their choice. Examples include, but are not limited to current, historical, and previously proposed flags.

Ah, so people should be allowed to display openly racist flags, such as the Confederate one? Yeah, let's just hope that the Chamber actually does its job and rejects this monstrosity. Any result other than a unanimous 5-0 vote to table this, will be very disappointing, and I hope the Chamber heeds these words and tables this.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »

Well it certainly is in some respects, in its original form at least (three fifths compromise for a quick example). Also:

historical, and previously proposed flags.
memorialize all Southern historical figures

This would include the racist confederate flag, along with commemorations of confederate generals. Simply unacceptable.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »

Well it certainly is in some respects, in its original form at least (three fifths compromise for a quick example). Also:

historical, and previously proposed flags.
memorialize all Southern historical figures

This would include the racist confederate flag, along with commemorations of confederate generals. Simply unacceptable.

It's free speech. Literally a Constitutional right.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 10:13:21 PM »

Quote from: bad fhtagn bill

Ah, so people should be allowed to display openly racist flags, such as the Confederate one? Yeah, let's just hope that the Chamber actually does its job and rejects this monstrosity. Any result other than a unanimous 5-0 vote to table this, will be very disappointing, and I hope the Chamber heeds these words and tables this.

Clearly you don't understand the Constitution

It also seems you never learned your advice isn't welcome in the Chamber.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 10:15:09 PM »

Here's a Lincoln quote from 1855

"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that 'all men are created equal.' We now practically read it 'all men are created equal, except [African Americans].' When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read 'all men are created equals, except [American Americans] and foreigners and Catholics.'"

source: Abraham Lincoln (modified slightly to remove offensive language

So, yeah, when the Constitution was written, there was no intent to protect the rights of African Americans or stop slavery. In fact, Congress was banned from even dealing with the slave trade, itself until 1808, because many feared the Southerners would walk out otherwise. Also Wulfric mentioned the 3/5th's compromise, which was a compromise based on the idea that if slaves were considered property rather than people, they couldn't have full representation. First of all the idea that someone is considered "property" or "three-fifths of a free person" is quite abhorrent. Also these slaves couldn't vote, so this was a clear move to increase Southern representation in the House. I think many of those who support this type of Confederate symbolism need to go back to history class and learn about the horrors of slavery, again, and then ask themselves, why are we honoring this?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 10:22:10 PM »

"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that 'all men are created equal.' We now practically read it 'all men are created equal, except [African Americans].' When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read 'all men are created equals, except [American Americans] and foreigners and Catholics.'"

So, yeah, when the Constitution was written, there was no intent to protect the rights of African Americans or stop slavery. In fact, Congress was banned from even dealing with the slave trade, itself until 1808, because many feared the Southerners would walk out otherwise. Also Wulfric mentioned the 3/5th's compromise, which was a compromise based on the idea that if slaves were considered property rather than people, they couldn't have full representation. First of all the idea that someone is considered "property" or "three-fifths of a free person" is quite abhorrent. Also these slaves couldn't vote, so this was a clear move to increase Southern representation in the House. I think many of those who support this type of Confederate symbolism need to go back to history class and learn about the horrors of slavery, again, and then ask themselves, why are we honoring this?

You are referencing something that has nothing to do with the current Atlasian Constitution.  You're also making this about the Confederacy when it's not even mentioned in the resolution's text. Please do yourself a favor and actually read before replying.

Go away now. Don't come back until you've actually done your homework.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 10:23:51 PM »

You are referencing something that has nothing to do with the current Atlasian Constitution.  You're also making this about the Confederacy when it's not even mentioned in the resolution's text. Please do yourself a favor and actually read before replying.

It's absolutely clear that you want to legalize Confederate statues and Confederate flags, it's so thinly veiled that almost anyone could figure it out. My only shock is that you didn't try to obfuscate your true intentions in a better way.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 10:36:14 PM »

You are referencing something that has nothing to do with the current Atlasian Constitution.  You're also making this about the Confederacy when it's not even mentioned in the resolution's text. Please do yourself a favor and actually read before replying.

It's absolutely clear that you want to legalize Confederate statues and Confederate flags, it's so thinly veiled that almost anyone could figure it out. My only shock is that you didn't try to obfuscate your true intentions in a better way.

If you bothered to read, the resolution included all flags and statues memorializing Southern figures. That includes statues of people like Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks, Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, etc. It also includes encouraging people to use proposed flags like the following if they choose to do so:

Submission 5: 20 Stars of the South, inlaid within a wreath of the South (Bold Colors); (3:5):

You don't get to pick and choose who people honor or what kind of flag they wish to fly. Allowing the government to do so is a clear violation of their constitutional rights. Any argument you try to make otherwise is invalid. This resolution merely endorses people exercising their constitutional rights, something the government absolutely should be doing.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 11:10:57 PM »

Asking for sponsorship of the following amendment:

Whereas, the Southern Region has been known to fully support and encourage it's residents to exercise their Constitutional right to keep and bear arms;

Whereas, the Southern Region has been known to fully support and encourage it's residents to exercise their Constitutional right to free expression;

Whereas, the Southern Region, along with all of Atlasia, celebrates Independence Day on July 4th;

1. Encourages Southern residents to celebrate Independence Day by practicing target shooting on their properties or at licensed facilities with any legally acquired or rented firearm of their choice.

2. Encourages the use of low potency explosives in Independence Day celebrations.

3. Encourages Southern residents to proudly display any appropriate Atlasian, Regional, State, or Local flag of their choice. Examples include, but are not limited to current, historical, and previously proposed flags, but shall not include confederate flags or flags which otherwise promote white supremacy.

4. Encourages the appreciation of statues erected to memorialize all Southern historical figures, and does not support applying modern moral standards that did not exist in the time the person lived.

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 11:40:33 PM »

You are not a citizen of the South. Go away.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 11:42:18 PM »

Asking for sponsorship of the following amendment:

3. Encourages Southern residents to proudly display any appropriate Atlasian, Regional, State, or Local flag of their choice. Examples include, but are not limited to current, historical, and previously proposed flags, but shall not include confederate flags or flags which otherwise promote white supremacy.

You may not as as you are not a member of this chamber or a citizen of the South.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 11:49:57 PM »

S019
GO
AWAY
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 08:52:23 AM »

As it is written, I oppose this legislation. While I am a strong advocate of civil liberties, I believe that with ownership of firearms and fireworks comes responsibility. We cannot afford for such potentially destructive items to fall into the wrong hands, whether that be against other citizens or against themselves.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »

I believe that with ownership of firearms and fireworks comes responsibility. We cannot afford for such potentially destructive items to fall into the wrong hands, whether that be against other citizens or against themselves.

Maybe "low potency explosive" needs a better definition. As I believe that "practicing target shooting on their properties or at licensed facilities with any legally acquired or rented firearm of their choice." Is seems self evident that "potentially destructive items to fall into the wrong hands" is minimized by this wording due to "legally acquired or rented".
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 07:59:40 AM »

Motion for a final vote.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 09:20:57 AM »

Wow, Muaddib rejecting the perfectly reasonable Wulfric amendment! I guess the confederate and far right associations were correct after all

Anyways, hope someone objects and introduces that amendment
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 08:01:08 AM »

As there have been no objections and Voting will now start on S.20.2-21: 1776 Will Commence Again Resolution. Voting will last for 48 hours or until all delegates have voted which ever comes first.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »

I am pro-2nd amendment. Aye.
Pages: [1] 2