Petition: Rename America (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:04:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Petition: Rename America (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support renaming the United States and the continents of North and South America?
Yes (sane, normal)

No (loves slavery and hates brown people)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Petition: Rename America  (Read 2145 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: August 01, 2020, 08:16:13 AM »

Anyway, today I'll be attending a city council meeting on renaming my high school, which was named for a slave owner. I will be using the argument outlined in this thread. I thought I'd test it out on you guys to see if there are any decent retorts to it, and apparently there aren't. Thanks for your help.

"America" is simply a geographic descriptor. If anything the name should be changed because the country doesn't encompass the entirety of both continents.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 08:46:33 PM »

Anyway, today I'll be attending a city council meeting on renaming my high school, which was named for a slave owner. I will be using the argument outlined in this thread. I thought I'd test it out on you guys to see if there are any decent retorts to it, and apparently there aren't. Thanks for your help.

"America" is simply a geographic descriptor. If anything the name should be changed because the country doesn't encompass the entirety of both continents.

Exactly. The name originally referred to an individual but has now taken on another meaning for all of us. Likewise, my high school's name no longer refers just to a slave trader; it has taken on a different meaning for those of us who went there.

If the US was called "Amerigo Vespucci Memorial Republic" or something like that, it might be a different story.

But really, you're being a jerk at best and a racist at worst. Literally nothing bad will happen from changing your high school's name (provided they come up with a good alternative). Meanwhile black students will be able to attend that school without having that connection hanging over them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies