Petition: Rename America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:46:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Petition: Rename America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you support renaming the United States and the continents of North and South America?
Yes (sane, normal)

No (loves slavery and hates brown people)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Petition: Rename America  (Read 2105 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 07:42:42 PM »

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 07:54:23 PM »

During his (very brief) time in Congress, Horace Greeley submitted a bill renaming the country to "Columbia". Good thing it didn't pass Tongue

Such a proposal would naturally be a non-starter, but I've always found the country being named "America" as a bit generic and bland, while all other American countries (even big ones like Canada and Brazil) have unique names.

It is sort of an odd situation in that, to my knowledge, the only collective name for the colonies that would have existed was "America", which just so happened to also be the name for the region as a whole. In some sense, it's sort of appropriate in that you had a collection of different colonies come together as "The United States of America". The unique names would have emerged in an alternate timeline where each colony or region of colonies chose its own path ("Virginia", "South Carolina" "New England"...). If my basic memory of history is correct, the reason that each country in South America has its own name is that projects for a "United States of South America" fell through in the early nineteenth century. FTR, "Columbia" would have been a profoundly ahistoric name for the country.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 12:14:52 PM »

It is also worth noting that the name Columbia would almost certainly be too close to the country of Colombia (and the reasoning would be the same). So probably not a good name regardless
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 08:05:03 AM »

People in power in the United States of America can rename the United States of America, but they can't really rename America, because continents are not official entities and do not have official names.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »

I sense that I have shaved 2 points off of my IQ from reading this thread.  I am not certain that a trailer full of Prevagen will undo the damage.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2020, 08:03:43 AM »

Yes.

Hispanics and latinos are every bit as "American" as US citizens.

So it is not very accurate. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2020, 08:19:35 PM »

Yes, rename after Haesteinn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastein
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 08:37:40 PM »

During his (very brief) time in Congress, Horace Greeley submitted a bill renaming the country to "Columbia". Good thing it didn't pass Tongue

Such a proposal would naturally be a non-starter, but I've always found the country being named "America" as a bit generic and bland, while all other American countries (even big ones like Canada and Brazil) have unique names.

It is sort of an odd situation in that, to my knowledge, the only collective name for the colonies that would have existed was "America", which just so happened to also be the name for the region as a whole. In some sense, it's sort of appropriate in that you had a collection of different colonies come together as "The United States of America". The unique names would have emerged in an alternate timeline where each colony or region of colonies chose its own path ("Virginia", "South Carolina" "New England"...). If my basic memory of history is correct, the reason that each country in South America has its own name is that projects for a "United States of South America" fell through in the early nineteenth century. FTR, "Columbia" would have been a profoundly ahistoric name for the country.

Why would "Columbia" have been ahistoric ? It was commonly in use in the time, wasn't it?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2020, 11:40:01 PM »

It is also worth noting that the name Columbia would almost certainly be too close to the country of Colombia (and the reasoning would be the same). So probably not a good name regardless

Australia and Austria.
Barbuda and Barbados.
Congo and Congo.
Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, and Guinea-Bisseu.

And c'mon, we all know which "Columbia" would immediately come to mind whenever the name was mentioned 
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »

Union of Mexico, US, Canada, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, Jamaica, The Bahamas, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Greenland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, all Leeward and Windward islands (including Trinidad and Tobago) : The Union of North America

583 million people strong, it would truly be the greatest nation on Earth.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2020, 08:16:13 AM »

Anyway, today I'll be attending a city council meeting on renaming my high school, which was named for a slave owner. I will be using the argument outlined in this thread. I thought I'd test it out on you guys to see if there are any decent retorts to it, and apparently there aren't. Thanks for your help.

"America" is simply a geographic descriptor. If anything the name should be changed because the country doesn't encompass the entirety of both continents.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »

Anyway, today I'll be attending a city council meeting on renaming my high school, which was named for a slave owner. I will be using the argument outlined in this thread. I thought I'd test it out on you guys to see if there are any decent retorts to it, and apparently there aren't. Thanks for your help.

"America" is simply a geographic descriptor. If anything the name should be changed because the country doesn't encompass the entirety of both continents.

Exactly. The name originally referred to an individual but has now taken on another meaning for all of us. Likewise, my high school's name no longer refers just to a slave trader; it has taken on a different meaning for those of us who went there.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2020, 08:46:33 PM »

Exactly. The name originally referred to an individual but has now taken on another meaning for all of us. Likewise, my high school's name no longer refers just to a slave trader; it has taken on a different meaning for those of us who went there.

If the US was called "Amerigo Vespucci Memorial Republic" or something like that, it might be a different story.

But really, you're being a jerk at best and a racist at worst. Literally nothing bad will happen from changing your high school's name (provided they come up with a good alternative). Meanwhile black students will be able to attend that school without having that connection hanging over them.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2020, 09:36:09 PM »

If the US was called "Amerigo Vespucci Memorial Republic" or something like that, it might be a different story.

But really, you're being a jerk at best and a racist at worst. Literally nothing bad will happen from changing your high school's name (provided they come up with a good alternative). Meanwhile black students will be able to attend that school without having that connection hanging over them.

Nobody cares about this superficial garbage aside from rich white liberals. I don't want to throw them a bone on this because then they'll feel like they've accomplished something without actually doing anything to combat racism. They don't deserve to have their virtue-signaling rewarded.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 03:34:42 AM »

Maybe we could start calling America "Eriksonia" because of Leif Erikson.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies