How to make OK-5 bluer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:39:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How to make OK-5 bluer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to make OK-5 bluer?  (Read 586 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »

If Horn wins re-election this year, I think the OKGOP will cut up the county into different districts. Assuming that doesn’t happen, how would they make this bluer? I think Midwest City is in Oklahoma County but I’m OK-4, could putting that in Horn’s district make it bluer?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2020, 07:31:21 PM by lfromnj »

Here is the bluest you can get Oklahoma 5th without doing something super ugly by dragging it to Tulsa,
This is basically an Arizona style D gerrymander by making the district as swing as possible(Trump +2 and mostly takes in Norman which is one county over.

Heres the fair map by just keeping the county whole exactly.

R gerrymander would split it up, probably once to keep the rest of the districts compact .
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:07:49 AM »

I know this is a bit different, but here's the opposite.  Trump+32 is the "bluest" district, cleaner than the current map too.  Basically every district is a few points from statewide average, except the eastern district is a lot redder. 
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 11:44:31 AM »

Speaking of Oklahoma, here is a funny map: A Democratic Gerrymander, based off the 2018-GOV results.

This map surprisingly has 3 Dem districts and 2 R districts! (though the Dem districts are all very close, so more like 2R-3S).

Of course, because 2018-GOV is not something that will be repeated the end result is a Republican Gerrymander, albeit one that is unnecesarily ugly and could be done much better.

OK-01: Edmonson+0.2, Trump+21, R+12
OK-02: Stitt+31, Trump+57, R+28
OK-03: Stitt+32, Trump+55, R+28
OK-04: Edmonson+4, Trump+20, R+12
OK-05: Edmonson+0.3, Trump+25, R+15

I am still surprised a map like this is possible despite Edmonson losing Tulsa and winning only 4 counties in the state
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »

She should probably be preparing to run for some city-level office after the Republicans chop her district. It's only getting Atlas-bluer.

It's honestly kind of amazing to me just how R Oklahoma is. Even with incredibly extreme and obvious gerrymandering, it's almost impossible to create a district that is any more than slightly D.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 04:04:29 PM »

Take in the college town of Norman, while leaving out the Repulican suburb of Moore and other GOP-heavy areas of Cleveland county.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies