Which European Ancestry are generally more Republican/Conservative?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:10:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which European Ancestry are generally more Republican/Conservative?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which European Ancestry are generally more Republican/Conservative?
Irish-Americans

Polish-Americans

German-Americans

Italian-Americans

Scandinavian-Americans

Dutch-Americans

English-Americans

Scottish-Americans

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Which European Ancestry are generally more Republican/Conservative?  (Read 5124 times)
iceman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2020, 03:12:46 AM »

discuss
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 04:23:08 AM »

Of the ones listed, definitely the Dutch, due to many of them having strong ties to the Reform Church.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 05:42:56 AM »

You can definitely see the Jewish factor in the Russian number, less so the Polish number. (Russian is the ancestry I listed in my 2020 Census form.)
iceman
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 05:58:28 AM »

I calculated these estimates awhile ago based on the White vote by County project of mine (the granularity is only at the county level, so there is some degree of error here):

Based on these stats, to some degree those who have eastern European ancestry are more likely to be liberal which is quite opposite to the ones living in the Eastern European countries now. I kind of thought the Scandinavians and Germans were likely to be less conservative seeing how many rural counties in Wisconsin and Minnesota vote democratic in the recent elections.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 06:54:49 AM »

I calculated these estimates awhile ago based on the White vote by County project of mine (the granularity is only at the county level, so there is some degree of error here):

Based on these stats, to some degree those who have eastern European ancestry are more likely to be liberal which is quite opposite to the ones living in the Eastern European countries now. I kind of thought the Scandinavians and Germans were likely to be less conservative seeing how many rural counties in Wisconsin and Minnesota vote democratic in the recent elections.

Scandinavians and Germans in Minnesota and Wisconsin may be comparatively Democratic, but then you've got to add in the members of those groups who live in places like the Great Plains, who are extremely Republican.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 11:48:03 AM »

Dutch. Tim Huelskamp is a good example. Huelskamp is Catholic.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »

I thought that it was Italian-Americans.

In the Northeast and mid-Atlantic, and the South (Florida, NC), the Italian Americans go ga ga over Trump
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 01:57:26 PM »

Swiss, are the most conservative, no contest.  A large portion are Amish which are the most socially conservative group.  I'm not sure if most Amish vote, but their views are very traditional. 

English, Scots-Irish, and Dutch are likely the next most conservative.  English are disproportionately southern, the region with the most conservative whites, and Mormons tend to be English too.  Scots Irish are similar, but more recent to the Republican coalition as the Appalachians flipped solid R only fairly recent.  Highly Dutch counties in the midwest like Sioux and Ottawa are deeply conservative due to Dutch influence.   

German Americas are likely the next most conservative, huge pro Trump trends occurred in the heavily German midwest. 

Scandinavian Americans are ancestrally Dem, as can be seen in areas like Northern MN, but there is definitely a big Republican trend, as can be seen by the fact 2/3 of the Republican's 2018 gains were Scandinavian districts in MN.

"White ethnics" like Polish Catholics and Italians are probably less republican than Germanic ethnicities but I think they have recently trended R.  Italians were a big part of the Republican trend in Long Island and southern NJ in 2016. 

Irish (Catholics) are probably the least conservative white European group.  This is due to their concentration in New England, the area with the most liberal whites.  Irish outside of New England probably lean Republican, but the New England factor is what effects their overall numbers.  This group is one I think Republicans have the most room to grow with.  I think Irish are more ancestrally Dem than left wing ideologically. 

The most liberal whites of course are Jews, but they aren't a European ethnic group...

It's interesting how little diaspora in America resemble their home nations.  England, the Netherlands, and Germany are quite progressive nations while their American diaspora are so conservative.  Ireland, Poland, and Italy are to the right of places like England but their diaspora are probably to the left of the white average in America.  Jews are the most unique.  In Israel jews vote for right wing, anti-immigration politicians, while in America they are the most left, especially on cultural issues.  Part of this is due to differences in religiosity but there are probably other factors too.  Secular Jews in Israel are still quite nationalistic.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 02:22:31 PM »

Swiss, are the most conservative, no contest.  A large portion are Amish which are the most socially conservative group.  I'm not sure if most Amish vote, but their views are very traditional. 

English, Scots-Irish, and Dutch are likely the next most conservative.  English are disproportionately southern, the region with the most conservative whites, and Mormons tend to be English too.  Scots Irish are similar, but more recent to the Republican coalition as the Appalachians flipped solid R only fairly recent.  Highly Dutch counties in the midwest like Sioux and Ottawa are deeply conservative due to Dutch influence.   

German Americas are likely the next most conservative, huge pro Trump trends occurred in the heavily German midwest. 

Scandinavian Americans are ancestrally Dem, as can be seen in areas like Northern MN, but there is definitely a big Republican trend, as can be seen by the fact 2/3 of the Republican's 2018 gains were Scandinavian districts in MN.

"White ethnics" like Polish Catholics and Italians are probably less republican than Germanic ethnicities but I think they have recently trended R.  Italians were a big part of the Republican trend in Long Island and southern NJ in 2016. 

Irish (Catholics) are probably the least conservative white European group.  This is due to their concentration in New England, the area with the most liberal whites.  Irish outside of New England probably lean Republican, but the New England factor is what effects their overall numbers.  This group is one I think Republicans have the most room to grow with.  I think Irish are more ancestrally Dem than left wing ideologically. 

The most liberal whites of course are Jews, but they aren't a European ethnic group...

It's interesting how little diaspora in America resemble their home nations.  England, the Netherlands, and Germany are quite progressive nations while their American diaspora are so conservative.  Ireland, Poland, and Italy are to the right of places like England but their diaspora are probably to the left of the white average in America.  Jews are the most unique.  In Israel jews vote for right wing, anti-immigration politicians, while in America they are the most left, especially on cultural issues.  Part of this is due to differences in religiosity but there are probably other factors too.  Secular Jews in Israel are still quite nationalistic.
What is "white ethnic"? That doesn't make sense. Everyone has an ethnicity. I am personally a mix of many of those ethnicities, as well as Mexican.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »

The English

Western MI is like 50-60% Republican. The South alone, let alone UT etc, makes English Americans 60%+
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »

Swiss, are the most conservative, no contest.  A large portion are Amish which are the most socially conservative group.  I'm not sure if most Amish vote, but their views are very traditional.  

English, Scots-Irish, and Dutch are likely the next most conservative.  English are disproportionately southern, the region with the most conservative whites, and Mormons tend to be English too.  Scots Irish are similar, but more recent to the Republican coalition as the Appalachians flipped solid R only fairly recent.  Highly Dutch counties in the midwest like Sioux and Ottawa are deeply conservative due to Dutch influence.  

"White ethnics" like Polish Catholics and Italians are probably less republican than Germanic ethnicities but I think they have recently trended R.  Italians were a big part of the Republican trend in Long Island and southern NJ in 2016.  

Irish (Catholics) are probably the least conservative white European group.  This is due to their concentration in New England, the area with the most liberal whites.  Irish outside of New England probably lean Republican, but the New England factor is what effects their overall numbers.  This group is one I think Republicans have the most room to grow with.  I think Irish are more ancestrally Dem than left wing ideologically.  

It's interesting how little diaspora in America resemble their home nations.  England, the Netherlands, and Germany are quite progressive nations while their American diaspora are so conservative.  Ireland, Poland, and Italy are to the right of places like England but their diaspora are probably to the left of the white average in America.  Jews are the most unique.  In Israel jews vote for right wing, anti-immigration politicians, while in America they are the most left, especially on cultural issues.  Part of this is due to differences in religiosity but there are probably other factors too.  Secular Jews in Israel are still quite nationalistic.

I mean, I'd definitely define as a European ethnic. My ancestors lived on the Shetl for 1500 years after all.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »

Swiss, are the most conservative, no contest.  A large portion are Amish which are the most socially conservative group.  I'm not sure if most Amish vote, but their views are very traditional.  

English, Scots-Irish, and Dutch are likely the next most conservative.  English are disproportionately southern, the region with the most conservative whites, and Mormons tend to be English too.  Scots Irish are similar, but more recent to the Republican coalition as the Appalachians flipped solid R only fairly recent.  Highly Dutch counties in the midwest like Sioux and Ottawa are deeply conservative due to Dutch influence.  

"White ethnics" like Polish Catholics and Italians are probably less republican than Germanic ethnicities but I think they have recently trended R.  Italians were a big part of the Republican trend in Long Island and southern NJ in 2016.  

Irish (Catholics) are probably the least conservative white European group.  This is due to their concentration in New England, the area with the most liberal whites.  Irish outside of New England probably lean Republican, but the New England factor is what effects their overall numbers.  This group is one I think Republicans have the most room to grow with.  I think Irish are more ancestrally Dem than left wing ideologically.  

It's interesting how little diaspora in America resemble their home nations.  England, the Netherlands, and Germany are quite progressive nations while their American diaspora are so conservative.  Ireland, Poland, and Italy are to the right of places like England but their diaspora are probably to the left of the white average in America.  Jews are the most unique.  In Israel jews vote for right wing, anti-immigration politicians, while in America they are the most left, especially on cultural issues.  Part of this is due to differences in religiosity but there are probably other factors too.  Secular Jews in Israel are still quite nationalistic.

I mean, I'd definitely define as a European ethnic. My ancestors lived on the Shetl for 1500 years after all.
Middle Eastern origins though.  Just like black americans won't ever become a native american ethnic group.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 02:43:52 PM »

What is "white ethnic"? That doesn't make sense. Everyone has an ethnicity. I am personally a mix of many of those ethnicities, as well as Mexican.
"White ethnic" is a term for more recent European immigrants of eastern or southern European stock, as oppose to groups like the English who came earlier.  This term might exist because more recent European immigrants tend to have more of an affinity for their heritage, while old stock whites usually just put "American" on the census.  America fought a war against England which certainly caused Anglo Americans to find identity outside of being English.  A similar thing happened with German-Americans and the world wars.  But for others, they could hold onto their heritage more so.  Like I'm Scandinavian American and that is part of my identity. 
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »

Middle Eastern origins though.  Just like black americans won't ever become a native american ethnic group.

I guess? But idk, imo it's kind of a different scenario.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 06:56:57 PM »

Scottish, Scots-Irish and German, based on geographic location.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »

Dutch and German Protestants
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 10:01:27 AM »

Depends on what you mean by conservative. Dutch-American communities are very right-leaning, although they rejected Trump in the primaries for Cruz instead. Russian-American neighborhoods gave Trump a huge % in the primaries and in the general.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 10:10:18 AM »

Depends on what you mean by conservative. Dutch-American communities are very right-leaning, although they rejected Trump in the primaries for Cruz instead. Russian-American neighborhoods gave Trump a huge % in the primaries and in the general.

Well if they rejected Trump they are even more conservative, given that Trump didn't run as a true conservative. By the way, I think there's a fairly big discrepancy between those Russian Americans who are Conservative Jews and those who aren't. Russian Americans globally seem to be one of the ethnic groups with the highest socioeconomic status in the USA
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2020, 10:23:33 AM by Battista Minola 1616 »

How exactly are you defining which European countries are to the right or left of the others? Your categorization seems to be "is this place Catholic or Protestant" most of all.

(and by the way, I don't think the Amish consider their ancestry as Swiss, also I read once that there is a saying among them that goes "we don't vote, but we pray Republican")
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »

If you want to PM me your methodology, I can give you precinct-level estimates.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »

How exactly are you defining which European countries are to the right or left of the others? Your categorization seems to be "is this place Catholic or Protestant" most of all.

(and by the way, I don't think the Amish consider their ancestry as Swiss, also I read once that there is a saying among them that goes "we don't vote, but we pray Republican")

objectively, the Amish ancestors are from Switzerland.  Also, it's universally known Germany and the UK are to the left of Italy and Poland.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »

Poland, yes. Italy has had a government led by the left more recently than either Germany or the UK.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »

objectively, the Amish ancestors are from Switzerland.  Also, it's universally known Germany and the UK are to the left of Italy and Poland.

What does "universally known" mean?
You're not giving any supporting fact.
Whereas I am going to tell you some things about my country.

Did you know that in Italy homosexual activity stopped being a crime in 1890? That is, roughly 80 years before Germany and England.
Did you know that Italy abolished the death penalty in 1890 (although it was reintroduced by the fascist regime during 1926 - 1945)? That is, much before the United Kingdom.
Did you know that Italy was the third country in the world to recognize the right to change one's legal gender, in 1982?
Did you know that the Italian Parliament has a slightly higher proportion of women than both the British House of Commons and the German Bundestag?
Did you know that the Italian government is still the main shareholder and with special power - despite the liberalization of the 80's and 90's - of many former nationalized companies, including some large multinationals like Eni, Enel and Leonardo?

Yes, in Italy there is no same-sex marriage, and it has probably the highest rate of conscientious objectors on abortion of the world*, and you can pick all the measures you want to determine it is not particularly progressive or to the left. But, as I showed, you can also pick important measures that put it on the progressive or left side of things.
Anyway, I don't want to go against you or have a nasty argument, I just want to have a discussion informed by evidence and not by stereotypes. Sorry.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »

Poland, yes. Italy has had a government led by the left more recently than either Germany or the UK.

Well you can also argue that our current government is led by the left - at least, our centre-right and right-wing politicians say that all the time.

Also see my post above (where I just realized I left an asterisk going nowhere hahaha it was supposed to say that *by the way Italy has a liberal abortion law on the books since 1978; Poland's law is more restrictive; abortions were illegal in almost all cases in Ireland until 2018)
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 06:52:22 PM »

What does "universally known" mean?
You're not giving any supporting fact.
Whereas I am going to tell you some things about my country.

Did you know that in Italy homosexual activity stopped being a crime in 1890? That is, roughly 80 years before Germany and England.
Did you know that Italy abolished the death penalty in 1890 (although it was reintroduced by the fascist regime during 1926 - 1945)? That is, much before the United Kingdom.
Did you know that Italy was the third country in the world to recognize the right to change one's legal gender, in 1982?
Did you know that the Italian Parliament has a slightly higher proportion of women than both the British House of Commons and the German Bundestag?
Did you know that the Italian government is still the main shareholder and with special power - despite the liberalization of the 80's and 90's - of many former nationalized companies, including some large multinationals like Eni, Enel and Leonardo?

Yes, in Italy there is no same-sex marriage, and it has probably the highest rate of conscientious objectors on abortion of the world*, and you can pick all the measures you want to determine it is not particularly progressive or to the left. But, as I showed, you can also pick important measures that put it on the progressive or left side of things.
Anyway, I don't want to go against you or have a nasty argument, I just want to have a discussion informed by evidence and not by stereotypes. Sorry.
Nice history lesson, but i'm talking about the attitudes of the people, that's what is relevant to this discussion.  On a variety of issues, from religion to LGBT to immigration to mixed relationships to having kids before marriage, southern and eastern Europe tend to be more conservative than the Germanic nations.  I was simply pointing out how the modern politics of Europe have little link to how diaspora groups in America vote. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies