reparations to very specific groups of black people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:24:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  reparations to very specific groups of black people
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you feel giving money to people (or their direct descendants) who were clearly and easily proven harmed by racist action (or inaction) of a local govt?
yes, and I think reparations are generally a good idea

yes, I'm not normally for this kind of thing

possibly, I need to think more on it

probably not, but I get it more so than a more broadly applied reparations

absolutely not

blah blah blah

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: reparations to very specific groups of black people  (Read 359 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »

Thinking specifically about the Tulsa Race Massacre (link)

Should the city of Tulsa, the state of Oklahoma and the US federal govt get together and pay these people?  Where there is ample evidence that the state either assisted or even just willing allowed people's civil rights to be violated in the recent past and we can prove who owned what, and it's approximate value the day before the massacre, convert the value to today's dollars and add, say, 20% just to be nice, and give it to the direct descendants of the people who owned the property.  I'm not 100% sure where I'm at, but I'm leaning towards this being a good idea.  Am I wrong?  If your grandpappy owned a thriving lumber business that was burned down by a racist mob while the authorities stood by and did nothing (or assisted), it seems to me your life has been negatively affected by that action and you have a good argument for compensation.  I think there should be a line, but 1921 wasn't all that long ago.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 05:33:04 PM »

Thinking specifically about the Tulsa Race Massacre (link)
Where there is ample evidence that the state either assisted or even just willing allowed people's civil rights to be violated in the recent past and we can prove who owned what, and it's approximate value the day before the massacre, convert the value to today's dollars and add, say, 20% just to be nice, and give it to the direct descendants of the people who owned the property.

I don't think you appreciate many potential pitfalls there are to identifying damages like this, and even if you could it still wouldn't be a good idea. 

The money would be better redistributed by putting it into after-school programs for Black kids or assistance to Black-owned small businesses.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 01:37:23 AM »

I'd go even further. I would support wealth redistribution on a total scale, wherein all property is confiscated by the US government, each citizen is given an equal amount of money, and the property is then sold back to the citizenry bit by bit, resulting in a completely equal distribution of wealth-- on two conditions:

1) From thereon out, the US will operate in a state of total laissez-faire capitalism with no exceptions.
2) Nobody ever gets to complain about their economic situation ever again for the rest of eternity.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 07:53:56 AM »

Redfordations would be quite divisive even when limited to specific groups. You'd have to certain that both some other approach wouldn't work and that it'd be worth the backlash to even consider them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »

Redfordations would be quite divisive even when limited to specific groups. You'd have to certain that both some other approach wouldn't work and that it'd be worth the backlash to even consider them.

I was about to say, "Didn't they make a whole show on this?"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:22:36 AM »

I was about to say, "Didn't they make a whole show on this?"

Yeah, but who watches Secretary "Skip" Gates?
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 03:33:31 PM »

I'd go even further. I would support wealth redistribution on a total scale, wherein all property is confiscated by the US government, each citizen is given an equal amount of money, and the property is then sold back to the citizenry bit by bit, resulting in a completely equal distribution of wealth-- on two conditions:

1) From thereon out, the US will operate in a state of total laissez-faire capitalism with no exceptions.
2) Nobody ever gets to complain about their economic situation ever again for the rest of eternity.

For this to be fair, it would have to be repeated for each successive generation.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 03:36:13 PM »

For this to be fair, it would have to be repeated for each successive generation.

Oh? So wealth can't be inherited, but guilt and victimhood can?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies