2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:55:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25140 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« on: July 02, 2020, 03:17:20 PM »

College sports are unique in how weak the NCAA is in comparison to the conferences. I don't think the NCAA has the authority to step in and order that sports not be played. We could very well see a football season that consists of a few conferences playing in conference games in the fall, a few skipping everything, and a few playing in the spring. It'll be an absolute chaotic nightmare, just as College Football is supposed to be.

I'm in for the pick 'em game, assuming that there are games to pick.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 12:27:04 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2020, 12:32:50 PM by Dereich »

ACC schedule is out; they went with a 10 in-conference + 1 OOC game schedule starting the week of 9/7.  They got rid of divisions for the year; it kinda sucks for FSU as a few sure wins were replaced with likely losses. Notre Dame gets in, presumably the conference wants that sweet sweet NBC money. Hopefully they don't win the conference or it'd be a huge embarrassment. Apparently the one OOC game has to be in the home state, so depending on what the SEC says the big rivalries should stay but games like Arkansas-ND will fall by the wayside.

Atlantic Coast Conference
Now I believe all we're waiting on is the SEC.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

The Mid-American Conference has postponed its entire fall sports season, becoming the first FBS conference to make the drastic decision because of ongoing concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic.

This feels like dominoes starting to fall, similar to the week of the basketball conference tournaments.

I believe it was more-or-less expected that the G5 conferences were going to do this, at least among the P5. The P5 schools believed that the G5 schools would not be able to pay for testing and safety regime which is why they had all decided on scheduling them out weeks before the current formats were decided.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:53:59 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2020, 10:57:40 AM by Dereich »

The word is that the Big 10 presidents voted 12-2 for no football last night. Iowa and Nebraska were the dissenters.

From the same source, the PAC 12 is also not going to be playing. ACC and Big12 are on the fence, not surprising as Texas is apparently pushing to play. SEC is trying to push the leaners towards playing.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »

The word is that the Big 10 presidents voted 12-2 for no football last night. Iowa and Nebraska were the dissenters.

From the same source, the PAC 12 is also not going to be playing. ACC and Big12 are on the fence, not surprising as Texas is apparently pushing to play. SEC is trying to push the leaners towards playing.
The SEC could attempt a season sure, but it wouldn't mean much aside from the SEC Championship. Certainly no bowl games or playoff

It would mean SEC football. That in and of itself is a huge deal, much bigger for the southern fans than the Natty. Plus, if the ACC decided to play you could get Clemson-SEC champ which would be a defacto national championship anyway.

Ohio State and Michigan official twitter accounts have gone rogue and are tweeting support for a football season.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »

hmm

Athletic Directors should consider firing coaches who insist on playing games now (or in the Spring. It probably won't be safe to play then either. The earliest I can see football coming back at any level is next fall)

Think about that though. Firing Ryan Day without cause (and this would absolutely be without cause) would mean paying a 3.5 million dollar buyout in a year that the athletics department will be losing a massive amount of revenue. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the revenue effects will be great enough that I doubt we'll see many (if any) non-cause firings for the next few years.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 02:50:33 PM »

As expected:

Well at a minimum we can say that the Big 10 were unable to convince the other conferences to all cancel together.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2020, 05:04:13 PM by Dereich »

Frankly, I think the idea of a spring season is minuscule and if they did do spring football it'd only be a two or three games at most. A full spring season which phased right into prep for a fall season would be a logistical and a health nightmare even beyond the coronavirus. I think the spring thing is used as an interim step to full cancellation.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »

Dissent in the P5 ranks! The Big 12 says they're going ahead with football and just put out their fall schedule:

Big 12
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 03:16:11 PM »

The Big Ten is now discussing potentially moving the football season up to start on Thanksgiving weekend or some other time in November. Along the lines that Harry was discussing earlier, Twitter is rife with speculation that the cancellation/new date are being done to hamper Trump's reelection campaign.

If this does happen what a mess it will be. The committee and the AP poll with be absolute messes. Plus, considering the Big Ten, it'll mean whole lot of snow games this year.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 08:29:05 PM »

College football is on! Central Arkansas vs Austin Peay is on ESPN. Probably the only time most (if not all!) of these players will have a prime-time game. Especially nice for Austin Peay whose conference was cancelled and so only has three games scheduled, the other two being games in which they're a cupcake to be sacrificed.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 01:19:53 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2020, 09:16:55 PM by Dereich »

UAB @ Miami 8:00 PM EDT ACCN ([God I hope I'm wrong. I would LOVE to see the Blazers win this)
Syracuse @ #18 North Carolina Noon EDT ACCN
Louisiana @ #23 Iowa State Noon EDT ESPN
Eastern Kentucky @ WVU Noon EDT FS1 (As I'm writing this EKU is down 28-0 to Marshall)
Charlotte @ Appalachian State Noon EDT ESPN2
Louisiana Tech @ Baylor Noon EDT FOX EDIT 2: another one bites the dust
The Citadel @ USF 1 PM EDT ESPN+
UL Monroe @ Army 1:30 PM EDT CBSSN
Duke @ #10 Notre Dame 2:30 PM EDT NBC
Arkansas State @ Kansas State 3:30 PM EDT FS1
UTSA @ Texas State 3:30 PM EDT ESPN2
Campbell @ Georgia Southern 3:30 PM EDT ESPNU
Georgia Tech @ FSU 3:30 PM EDT ABC
Austin Peay @ Pittsburgh 4 PM EDT ACCN
Missouri State @ #5 Oklahoma 7 PM EDT (no network listed)
#1 Clemson @ Wake Forest 7:30 PM EDT ABC
Tulsa @ #15 Oklahoma State 7:30 PM EDT (no network listed) Edit: lol, RIP
Tulane @ South Alabama 7:30 PM EDT ESPN2
UTEP @ #14 Texas 8 PM EDT LHN
Western Kentucky @ Louisville 8 PM EDT ACCN (Real tempted to pick WKU on this one. I don't believe Louisville at all)
Houston Baptist @ Texas Tech 8 PM EDT ESPN+
Coastal Carolina @ Kansas 10 PM EDT FS1 ("NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP COACH LES MILES LOSES 9-6 TO COASTAL CAROLINA" is both possible and very 2020)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »

Important reminder that the Big 10 decision to cancel fall football will not be revisited.

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 10:54:39 PM »

Friday, September 18th

Campbell @ Coastal Carolina 7 PM EDT ESPN3

Saturday, September 19th

Tulsa @ #11 Oklahoma State Noon EDT ESPN

#19 Louisiana @ Georgia State Noon EDT ESPN2

Syracuse @ #25 Pittsburgh Noon EDT ACCN

Liberty @ Western Kentucky Noon EDT ESPNU

Navy @ Tulane Noon EDT ABC

Boston College @ Duke Noon EDT ESPN3

Houston @ Baylor Noon EDT FOX

#24 Appalachian State @ Marshall Noon EDT CBSSN

Stephen F. Austin @ UTSA 3 PM EDT ESPN3

#14 UCF @ Georgia Tech 3:30 PM EDT ABC

Florida Atlantic @ Georgia Southern 3:30 PM EDT ESPN

Troy @ Middle Tennessee 4 PM EDT ESPN2

SMU @ North Texas 6 PM EST CBSSN

#17 Miami @ #18 Louisville 7:30 PM EDT ABC

Louisiana Tech @ Southern Mississippi 7:30 PM EST ESPN2

Texas State @ UL Monroe 7:30 PM EST ESPNU

Wake Forest @ NC State 8 PM EDT ACCN

Abilene Christian @ UTEP 9 PM EDT ESPN3
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 01:50:33 PM »

Kansas State @ #3 Oklahoma Noon EDT FOX
#5 Florida @ Ole Miss Noon EDT ESPN
#23 Kentucky @ #8 Auburn Noon EDT SECN
#13 UCF @ East Carolina Noon EDT ESPN+
Georgia Southern @ #19 Louisiana Noon EDT ESPN2
#24 Louisville @ #21 Pittsburgh Noon EDT ACCN
Georgia Tech @ Syracuse Noon EDT ESPN3
Florida International @ Liberty 1 PM EDT ESPN3
Iowa State @ TCU 1:30 PM EDT FS1
Mississippi State @ #6 LSU 3:30 PM EDT CBS
#8 Texas @ Texas Tech 3:30 PM EDT FOX
#22 Army @ #14 Cincinnati 3:30 PM EDT ESPN
West Virginia @ #15 Oklahoma State 3:30 PM EDT ABC
UTEP @ UL Monroe 3:30 PM EDT ESPNU
#4 Georgia @ Arkansas 4 PM EDT SECN
Duke @ Virginia 4 PM EDT ACCN
Texas State @ Boston College 6 PM EDT ESPN3
Florida State @ #12 Miami 7:30 PM EDT ABC  Norvell has the Rona so FSU will be without an HC. It doesn't matter for the game though as there will be no nice things for FSU in this cursed year.
#16 Tennessee @ South Carolina 7:30 PM EDT SECN
Kansas @ Baylor 7:30 PM EDT ESPNU
NC State @ #20 Virginia Tech 8 PM EDT ACCN
Troy @ #18 BYU 10:15 PM EDT ESPN
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 07:37:45 PM »

Just a reminder that Tennessee had an agreement inked with Mike Leach in the middle of their fanbase's collective hissy fit and could have had an interesting team.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 08:03:18 PM »

Miami's very good defensive line vs FSU's still-bottom-10 offensive line makes this a particularly bad matchup for us. I was telling anyone who asked that Miami would cover. I just don't know why they made it the gameday game.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 09:18:04 AM »

South Carolina @ #3 Florida
TCU @ #9 Texas
Missouri @ #21 Tennessee
NC State @ #24 Pittsburgh
East Carolina @ Georgia State
Arkansas State @ Coastal Carolina
Baylor @ West Virginia
UTSA @ UAB
#13 Texas A&M @ #2 Alabama
#12 North Carolina @ Boston College
South Florida @ #15 Cincinnati
#17 Oklahoma State @ Kansas
#25 Memphis @ SMU
Texas Tech @ Kansas State
Charlotte @ Florida Atlantic
Ole Miss @ Kentucky  Very interested to see if OM puts up the same numbers against Kentucky that they did against Florida...that might tell us more about Florida then their game against Muschamp will
Western Kentucky @ Middle Tennessee
Navy @ Air Force
#7 Auburn @ #4 Georgia  Honestly, I don't actually think Auburn will win, but its close enough that I'm letting my dislike of Georgia get the better of me
Tulsa @ #11 UCF
Arkansas @ #16 Mississippi State
#18 Oklahoma @ Iowa State
#20 LSU @ Vanderbilt
Virginia @ #1 Clemson
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 12:11:15 AM »

Man, I made some bad picks on the close games this week...
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 08:52:20 AM »

#4 Florida @ #21 Texas A&M Noon EDT ESPN

#19 Virginia Tech @ #8 North Carolina Noon EDT ABC

#22 Texas VS Oklahoma (At the Cotton Bowl) Noon EDT FOX lol

Coastal Carolina @ #23 Louisiana Noon EDT ESPN2

NC State @ Virginia Noon EDT ACCN

South Carolina @ Vanderbilt Noon EDT SECN

Duke @ Syracuse 12:30 PM EDT ESPN3

#14 Tennessee @ #3 Georgia 3:30 PM EDT CBS

UTSA @ #15 BYU 3:30 PM EDT ESPN2

Texas Tech @ #24 Iowa State 3:30 PM EDT ABC

Central Arkansas @ Arkansas State 3:30 PM EDT ESPN3

Texas State @ Troy 3:30 PM EDT ESPN3

Arkansas @ #13 Auburn 4 PM EDT SECN

Pittsburgh @ Boston College 4 PM EDT ACCN

Kansas State @ TCU 4 PM EDT FOX

Middle Tennessee @ Florida International 4 PM EDT ESPNU

Florida Atlantic @ Southern Mississippi 4 PM EDT

#2 Alabama @ Ole Miss 6 PM EDT ESPN

Temple @ Navy 6 PM EDT CBSSN

#7 Miami (FL) @ #1 Clemson 7:30 PM EDT ABC  Miami has looked good in part so much because of how they've been able to bully their opponent's offensive lines...they can't do that to Clemson.

Mississippi State @ Kentucky 7:30 PM EDT SECN  I'm very glad to see that Mike Leach's Wild Ride did not change when moved to the SEC. After the mess of last week, the script says they win this one.

UTEP @ Louisiana Tech 7:30 PM EDT ESPN2

Marshall @ Western Kentucky 7:30 PM EDT

Charlotte @ North Texas 8 PM EDT ESPNU

Missouri @ #17 LSU 9 PM EDT ESPN
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 02:53:25 PM »

Between LSU-Mizzou, UF-TAMU, and Red River there has been some really good early football today. Even the other games like UNC-VT and Duke-Syracuse have been good.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »

Try ranking the SEC teams right now (apart from my 'Dores at #14)...

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3-14. The Field
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 10:09:31 PM »

Week 7 games:

Friday, October 16th

#17 SMU @ Tulane 6 PM EDT ESPN

#15 BYU @ Houston 9:30 PM EDT ESPN

Saturday, October 17th

Pittsburgh @ #13 Miami (FL) Noon EDT ACCN

#14 Auburn @ South Carolina Noon EDT ESPN   This feels like a classic "losing coach is getting fired this year" game

Kentucky @ #18 Tennessee Noon EDT SECN

Navy @ East Carolina Noon EDT ESPN+

Texas State @ South Alabama Noon EDT ESPNU

South Florida @ Temple Noon EDT ESPN+

Liberty @ Syracuse Noon EDT ACCNX

Kansas @ West Virginia Noon EDT

Army @ UTSA 1:30 PM EDT CBSSN

Western Kentucky @ UAB 1:30 PM EDT

Louisville @ Notre Dame 2:30 PM EDT NBC

Duke @ NC State 3:30 PM EDT ACCNX

UCF @ Memphis 3:30 PM EDT ABC

Ole Miss @ Arkansas 3:30 PM EDT ESPN2

#11 Texas A&M @ Mississippi State 4:00 PM EDT SECN

Virginia @ Wake Forest 4 PM EDT ACCN

Marshall @ Louisiana Tech 6 PM EDT CBSSN

#3 Georgia @ #2 Alabama 7:30 PM EDT CBS  My mind says Georgia could or even should win this year, but my every instinct screams that they'll disappoint like they always do

Boston College @ #23 Virginia Tech 8 PM EDT ACCN

Thank you for leaving FSU off this list.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2020, 04:40:04 PM »

There are Fire Gus years and Make Gus a Saint years. This is a Fire Gus year. They might actually do it too.

Syracuse, who just lost to Liberty by 17, now has to play at Clemson. It might be in their best interest to dissolve their football program before having to go through it.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »

There are Fire Gus years and Make Gus a Saint years. This is a Fire Gus year. They might actually do it too.
I believe it's impossible to determine whether we're in a Fire Gus year, except in hindsight. Most of 2017 was very much a Fire Gus year, as was the offseason after he lost to UCF in that Peach Bowl, but he had a few weeks in there after beating UGA and Alabama where Gus was able to sign that $49 million extension. Not impossible that we get something similar here (and I question their ability to pay his buyout with general COVID economy malaise).

Never doubt Alabamian football mania. Auburn will be able to raise the money to toss him if they want to. I'd normally agree with you, but the thing with the twist years is that Auburn usually faces Georgia and Alabama at the end of the year and can redeem themselves there. They've already lost to Georgia, so they'd be putting all their eggs in the "ruin Alabama's season" basket...

So, if Tommy Tuberville had to choose between going back to Auburn as head coach, and being a U.S Senator, which do you think he'd choose?

A US senator does not face potentially being fired every year based on the famously mercurial whims of Auburn fans. A US Senator doesn't have to spend a huge amount of their time trying to sweet talk high schoolers and their grandmas into picking their university. Recruiting is apparently grueling, unless you're one of the few coaches who is noted to being a natural at it like Nick Saban.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies