2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:11:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25334 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: June 22, 2020, 08:15:31 AM »

I'm in too, and I'm willing to keep score again unless someone else really wants to do it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »

I don't think there's going to be any college football this fall.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »

The Patriot League cancels Fall sports.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »

Well, things have stopped getting cancelled for the past 10 days. The big 12 and SEC in particular seem set on playing fall CFB and none of the other conferences have gone beyond cancelling non conference games, remains to be seen but chances of a season occurring seem to be improving for the moment.

The SWAC postponed all fall sports on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29505344/swac-specifies-plans-spring-football-season-part-fall-sports-postponement
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 08:03:04 AM »

UConn cancels:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »

UConn cancels:

I thought UConn cancelled their football program?

No, it's still going as an independent after UConn left the AAC for the Big East, although it's been speculated that they'll either drop football or move down to FCS at some point.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

The Mid-American Conference has postponed its entire fall sports season, becoming the first FBS conference to make the drastic decision because of ongoing concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic.

This feels like dominoes starting to fall, similar to the week of the basketball conference tournaments.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 02:57:53 PM »

"If I were president, we would be playing college football" is the clinching argument for Biden.

Lots of developing countries are bringing back sports without COVID outbreaks. We can't, thanks to Trumps' ineptitude.

Corollary: if many/most conferences cancel or postpone football, Trump will lash out at them for doing it to hurt him (whether or not Biden mentions it).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »

It would be beyond ridiculous to cancel college football given the (virtually) zero risk that young people are at from this virus.

Lower risk than older people?  Sure.  Virtually zero risk?  This is simply not true.  Haven't you seen the articles about young people who have died from the virus, or survived but with serious health complications?

Also, do you think those young people have no contact at all with anyone at higher risk, or with anyone else who has contact with anyone at higher risk?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 08:16:37 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »

Probably game over, shall I turn this into the 2021 thread?

You're probably right, but let's wait until it's official.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 01:45:22 PM »

I wonder if this might spur another round of conference realignment.  For example, if the Big 12 decides to play, might Iowa and Nebraska decide to bolt the Big Ten for them?  Nebraska was previously in the Big 12, and Iowa would be a good fit for them as well.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 11:55:32 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »

As expected:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 06:53:30 PM »

IF the Big 12, SEC, and ACC actually do play (and that's a big if)

do we want to still do the pick em?

I'm game.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 09:54:11 AM »

When the student body comes back, there will be parties.

UNC has reported four COVID-19 clusters in less than a week after starting classes.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 03:40:43 PM »

And UNC throws in the towel for in-person classes this semester.  I can't believe they'll be playing football under these circumstances.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »

And UNC throws in the towel for in-person classes this semester.  I can't believe they'll be playing football under these circumstances.

Their athletes never attended classes anyway. (in-person or online)

A definite point. Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »

I don't have a strong preference either way.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 04:57:58 PM »

Why?  If anything, it is safer to play football now.

I think it will be very hard for a university to justify bringing their football team together for practices and games at a time when they don't consider it safe for students to be in class together. 
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 07:36:03 AM »

Memphis running back Kenneth Gainwell has opted out of the season due to concerns over COVID-19.  His family has already lost four members to the disease.  Gainwell (terrific name for a running back!) was a second-team preseason All-American and probably the best non-P5 player in the country.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29774924/memphis-rb-kenneth-gainwell-opting-prepare-2021-draft
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »

Penn State football doctor: 30-35% of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »

For the benefit of any new players, here’s how it works:

Anytime after dfwlibertylover posts the week’s games, make your picks by replying in this thread one or more times.  Don’t send them by PM to either him or me.  You can either copy the list of games and bold your predicted winners, or just post your list of winners. 

If bolding your winners, games with zero or both teams bolded will not be counted.  If listing your winners, slight errors in team names will be counted if the intent is unambiguous.  For example, in the Georgia Tech vs Florida State game, writing “Florida” would be counted as a pick of Florida State, but “Georgia State” would not be counted.  I (or anyone) may point out such errors so you have a chance to correct them, but this is not guaranteed to happen – ultimately, you’re responsible for getting your picks posted correctly.

Your pick for a game must be posted before the official start time for that game.  This is a hard cutoff.  You can change any of your picks by making a subsequent post, as long as it's before the game start time.  Please don’t edit your original post, as this is easy for me to miss and could also raise timestamp questions. 

You don’t have to post your whole list at once.  For example, in a week with Friday and Saturday games, you could optionally post only the Friday game picks by Friday, and then follow up with the Saturday games on Saturday morning.  Or if you forget and miss the Friday games, you can still post picks for Saturday's games.

Each correct pick is worth one point.  After all of the week’s games are complete (usually on Sunday morning) I’ll post the results for that week and the year-to-date standings.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 08:51:06 AM »

Thursday, September 10th

Houston Baptist @ Texas Tech 8 PM EDT ESPN+

Coastal Carolina @ Kansas 10 PM EDT FS1

Really bold of you to pick Kansas, when they haven't beaten an FBS team in about a decade.

I think Houston Baptist is the bold pick there. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies