2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:22:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25147 times)
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« on: September 13, 2020, 12:47:48 AM »

P5. The Sun Belt Conference replaces the Little 12.

Geaux Cajuns.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 04:09:05 PM »

Pittsburgh downed Louisville 23-20.

Also, it's still really early (less than halfway through the first quarter), but Arkansas is up 7-0 on #4 Georgia...

Louisville QB took a really nasty injury to end the game there. He was tackled from behind as he made the pass, it was a normal hit and didn't look bad at all, but he landed and on his head when he fell. I hope he's okay.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »

Down goes Florida, 41-38!  Congrats to JGibson, who was the only one to pick A&M.  Mizzou leads LSU 45-41, 3+ minutes left.

Welp, there goes any hopes for a playoff run. We finally get a god-tier QB & the defense sh*ts the bed.

Florida's defense is garbage.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »

As always, the Faux Irish are wildly overrated.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 11:39:13 PM »

Oklahoma State goes down, and with it, the Big Twelve's playoff hopes.

So, who will get two teams in, the SEC (Georgia/Alabama/Texas A&M), the Big Ten (Ohio State/Wisconsin) or the ACC (Clemson/Notre Dame)?

You don't think Oregon has a shot?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 12:59:25 AM »

Liberty has a 0.0 percent chance, and I like Liberty probably more than anyone. Major kudos if they somehow upset Virginia Tech, NC State and Coastal Carolina, but the other 129 teams all detest them, they are bad for the image of football and have zero historical prestige as a national football brand name program like BYU offers. They also have zero talent, and Alabama would beat them by triple digits, if they so desired.

It's insane to speak about hypotheticals like that when they have three games left as an underdog while BYU and Cincinnati each have but one 'toss-up' that they really ought to win.

BYU's schedule has been unbelievably bad. Zach Wilson was never an elite quarterback but he looks great against the second rate programs they scrounged up to fill up this season. I expect BSU to handle them, it's a classic trap game.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 12:51:26 AM »

Liberty has a 0.0 percent chance, and I like Liberty probably more than anyone. Major kudos if they somehow upset Virginia Tech, NC State and Coastal Carolina, but the other 129 teams all detest them, they are bad for the image of football and have zero historical prestige as a national football brand name program like BYU offers. They also have zero talent, and Alabama would beat them by triple digits, if they so desired.

It's insane to speak about hypotheticals like that when they have three games left as an underdog while BYU and Cincinnati each have but one 'toss-up' that they really ought to win.

BYU's schedule has been unbelievably bad. Zach Wilson was never an elite quarterback but he looks great against the second rate programs they scrounged up to fill up this season. I expect BSU to handle them, it's a classic trap game.

No doubt about how bad it is. Certainly wouldn't be surprised if Boise beats them (though even last year BYU handled them pretty easily with Romney at QB - neither team had their start - and despite bad 4Q).

However, they are still fifth in resume-adjusted strength of victory as Connelly noted in the headline article this morning so it's not like they aren't deserving though Cincinnati has been clearly better. Of course, they would get killed by Alabama or Ohio State in a semifinal, but so would just about every team, except perhaps Clemson. I certainly don't buy that Notre Dame is better. Or Oregon. Maaaaaybe Wisconsin.

I'm a big dumb dummy. BYU might be legit.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401249005
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »

As a OSU fan, I am so happy to see the demise of the Michigan and Penn State seasons this year.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 04:30:43 AM »

That's a shame. Faux Irish are the worst and least deserving fanbase in football. I guess they were lucky Clemson lost their starting QB.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 07:45:59 PM »

OSU has been playing great but I was talking to my dad earlier and we don't think this season is going to finish. It's a shame because BYU and Cincy are having historic seasons and it's also sad to waste poor seasons from TTUN and PSU.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »

OSU has been playing great but I was talking to my dad earlier and we don't think this season is going to finish. It's a shame because BYU and Cincy are having historic seasons and it's also sad to waste poor seasons from TTUN and PSU.

It really shouldn't (and the NCAA was smart about things they'd cancel the basketball season before it even starts.)

Yeah I see that as incredibly unlikely to happen. Trying to start in the midst of a record surge, indoors? Nah.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 01:11:48 AM »

Apparently Will Muschamp is out at South Carolina

Hmm, it's not official yet, but if Muschamp does get fired, I'd expect South Carolina to hire an assistant at Alabama (that's what SEC schools usually do), or Clemson.

Maybe Steve Sarksian or Brett Venables would be the top candidates.

My bet is Billy Napier (former assistant at Alabama and now HC at "Louisiana") or Hugh Freeze.

Hugh Freeze makes sense. He's really underappreciated at Liberty. Billy Napier's done well at "Louisiana", but other than serving as an assistant at Alabama and Clemson, I'm not sure he's done enough to prove he can succeed in the SEC.

I disagree. Billy Napier has turned Louisiana into one of the best G5 programs over multiple seasons. A lower level SEC team would be lucky to get him. He may also be in line for the job at FSU.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 03:27:28 AM »

Apparently Will Muschamp is out at South Carolina

Hmm, it's not official yet, but if Muschamp does get fired, I'd expect South Carolina to hire an assistant at Alabama (that's what SEC schools usually do), or Clemson.

Maybe Steve Sarksian or Brett Venables would be the top candidates.

My bet is Billy Napier (former assistant at Alabama and now HC at "Louisiana") or Hugh Freeze.

Hugh Freeze makes sense. He's really underappreciated at Liberty. Billy Napier's done well at "Louisiana", but other than serving as an assistant at Alabama and Clemson, I'm not sure he's done enough to prove he can succeed in the SEC.

I disagree. Billy Napier has turned Louisiana into one of the best G5 programs over multiple seasons. A lower level SEC team would be lucky to get him. He may also be in line for the job at FSU.

Mike Norvell isn't getting fired after one bad year. Remember, this year was the first year of his contract.

I don't think so either but if they play this way a second year... FSU is one of the few elite programs currently playing like a bottom feeder. I can't think they will tolerate it much longer.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »

App State is a terrible pick. You guys are tripping.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »

Wow.

I've never participated in this pickem but I'm picking Louisiana tonight.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 01:41:54 AM »

There is no serious Heisman contender that we can look back upon for this season. Trask is the only choice among the media annointed candidates. I'd probably offer a vote to Devonta Smith if it weren't such a close race amongst mediocrity.

Justin Fields is the best player in college football. He's getting screwed by tOSUs scheduling woes.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 10:39:01 PM »

WEEK 14 RESULTS

Five games were canceled.  The week was won by dfw at 15-5, a game ahead of three other people.  Full results:

15 dfw
14 Dingo Joe, GeorgiaModerate, Jgibson
13 Donerail, ExtremeRepublican
12 Dereich
10 Illiniwek
 9 NY Express

There were 7 unanimous picks:

App State-Louisiana (wrong, except for CraneHusband who I'm not including because it was the only game he picked)
Iowa State-West Virginia
Miami (FL)-Duke
Kentucky-South Carolina
Ohio State-Michigan State
Western Michigan-Eastern Michigan (wrong)
USC-Washington State

And 4 games with a single dissenter:

Texas A&M-Auburn
Texas-Kansas State
Nevada-Fresno State
Purdue-Nebraska (dissenter was right)

dfw moved into first place overall with the win, a game ahead of Donerail.  Year to date standings (276 games):

192 dfw
191 Donerail
189 Dereich
186 ExtremeRepublican, GeorgiaModerate
174 Jgibson
167 NY Express
159 DINGO Joe
151 Illiniwek

Can you please give me the point for my prediction? It would be so funny to see me at the bottom with one point  yet perfect percentage Tongue
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 11:27:16 AM »

Can you please give me the point for my prediction? It would be so funny to see me at the bottom with one point  yet perfect percentage Tongue

OK, I'll also add back JacksonHitchcock (I had decided to drop non-regular players from the standings).

Year to date standings (276 games):

192 dfw
191 Donerail
189 Dereich
186 ExtremeRepublican, GeorgiaModerate
174 Jgibson
167 NY Express
159 DINGO Joe
151 Illiniwek
 16 JacksonHitchcock
   1 CraneHusband

Thank you!
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 01:01:41 AM »

In the Department of Empty Gestures:

The NCAA needs to use the Death Penalty more often, quite frankly.

Baylor needs the Death Penalty, and UNC needs to have its basketball banners taken.

Penn State should have been given the death penalty. And never had their garbage program resurrected.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 12:10:24 PM »

In the Department of Empty Gestures:

The NCAA needs to use the Death Penalty more often, quite frankly.

Baylor needs the Death Penalty, and UNC needs to have its basketball banners taken.

Penn State should have been given the death penalty. And never had their garbage program resurrected.

Yes, that too. Everyone knows Pitt is the true representative of Pennsylvania.

That's not far off. Pittsburgh is arguably the cradle of football in the United States, and when Pitt was at the height of its greatness, Penn State was a glorified community college teaching people from the northeast who couldn't get into Rutgers or Syracuse about milking cows. It took a morally bankrupt head coach to pull them upward. They found football success but kept the cult like nature of being the dominant activity in an isolated community which allowed a pedophile like Sandusky to flourish.

Unfortunately a lot of Pitt's failings in the last few decades, both in terms of athletics and academics, are "own goals" to go along with the decline of Pittsburgh in general. Pitt is not what it once was and Penn State has benefitted.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »

I'd be ahead if Chip Kelly hadn't gone for 2 in 2 OT Sad
Homer pick pays off!

The selection committee chose the most popular team over the team who earned it. Any team that makes it through the SEC with only 1 loss deserves to play for the title, period.
Getting blown out by 28 against Bama does not confer upon a team a right to get blown out by 28 against Bama again.

You could say literally the exact same thing about Faux Irish. The beat a depleted Clemson, got wrung out when they met again, and will likely have the floor wiped with them if they meet again (which they won't, they will also get blown out by Bama.)

The worst and most mind-numbingly stupid fan base in football is also one of the most numerous, so they keep getting invited to the playoffs despite being clearly inferior. F*** ND. I don't give a rat's ass about Texas A&M but they would have been a better choice, so was Cincinnati.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 06:43:52 PM »

Complete disgrace. 9-2 Army being shut out of a bowl game is more damaging to America's soul than anything Trump ever did.

One of the loser schools need to do the patriotic thing and cede their bowl berth to Army.

It's quite surprising that they couldn't find an opponent literally. Like, Rutgers and Texas Tech were projected to maybe play in bowls and I couldn't find any news article about them opting out, so why isn't one of them playing Army? And if they both did a soft opt-out, surely someone out there, even a bad Sun Belt team or something, would have played.

I didn't realize until halftime of today's bowl game where it was mentioned that the Pac-12 refused to play them because they did not want to prepare for the triple option. Pretty lame and pathetic.

We should not be surprised by such unpatriotic behavior from those Californians.

The football team at the Ungratefully Spending our Money Academy has nothing to do with patriotism.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »

It is confirmed now! Edited in the pick'em

Army vs WVU, what a patriotic matchup! God bless America!

Puke-worthy. I hope we don't have to pay for the welfare queens to all make the trip to the Liberty Bowl like we do for the Army Navy game.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 08:45:06 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/12/21/ballots-college-football-coaches-amway-coaches-poll-panel/6548641002/ Wow....Dabo Swinney ranked Ohio State #11 in his Coaches Poll ballot, clear he does not respect his opponent in the Playoff lol
Okay SEC teams in #4, 5, and 6, lol. Delusional.

It is confirmed now! Edited in the pick'em

Army vs WVU, what a patriotic matchup! God bless America!

Puke-worthy. I hope we don't have to pay for the welfare queens to all make the trip to the Liberty Bowl like we do for the Army Navy game.

Why do you hate America?

Because I'm smarter than the av-arage bear.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 06:02:59 AM »

Nick Saban is a Chinese plot to interfere with our elections playoffs!

They should be investigating a lot of schools for this.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies