2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:59:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41
Author Topic: 2020 College Football Discussion and Pick 'Em Thread  (Read 25476 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »

The Patriot League cancels Fall sports.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 07:36:13 AM »

Well, things have stopped getting cancelled for the past 10 days. The big 12 and SEC in particular seem set on playing fall CFB and none of the other conferences have gone beyond cancelling non conference games, remains to be seen but chances of a season occurring seem to be improving for the moment.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »

Well, things have stopped getting cancelled for the past 10 days. The big 12 and SEC in particular seem set on playing fall CFB and none of the other conferences have gone beyond cancelling non conference games, remains to be seen but chances of a season occurring seem to be improving for the moment.

The SWAC postponed all fall sports on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29505344/swac-specifies-plans-spring-football-season-part-fall-sports-postponement
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »

The SWAC postponed all fall sports on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29505344/swac-specifies-plans-spring-football-season-part-fall-sports-postponement
Makes you wonder if the G5 is going to have a Spring season while the P5 has a Fall season.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 11:04:42 AM »

I would love spring football ... I think that by the spring, a vaccine will be available to ENOUGH people, and - MUCH more likely - people will finally just realize that we can't live like this until everyone is vaccinated (i.e., we will vaccinate the vulnerable and tell everyone else to wash their hands...).  Can you imagine college football, college basketball and baseball all in one spring?!  It'd be amazing.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2020, 12:27:04 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2020, 12:32:50 PM by Dereich »

ACC schedule is out; they went with a 10 in-conference + 1 OOC game schedule starting the week of 9/7.  They got rid of divisions for the year; it kinda sucks for FSU as a few sure wins were replaced with likely losses. Notre Dame gets in, presumably the conference wants that sweet sweet NBC money. Hopefully they don't win the conference or it'd be a huge embarrassment. Apparently the one OOC game has to be in the home state, so depending on what the SEC says the big rivalries should stay but games like Arkansas-ND will fall by the wayside.

Atlantic Coast Conference
Now I believe all we're waiting on is the SEC.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2020, 12:56:26 PM »

Roy Cooper has to intervene. This cannot be allowed to go on.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »

SEC going conference only with a 10-game schedule:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29566090/sec-play-10-game-conference-only-football-schedule

Looks like my Commodores will be adding Mississippi State at home and a road trip to Alabama.  Vandy needs those non-conference games to get a few wins.  I just really don't want to go 0-10.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2020, 06:43:01 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29566090/sec-play-10-game-conference-only-football-schedule

Looks like my Commodores will be adding Mississippi State at home and a road trip to Alabama.  Vandy needs those non-conference games to get a few wins.  I just really don't want to go 0-10.

What's the source on who the extra 2 games are? Is that the 2021 and 2022 opponents moved up? That means we would play @Vanderbilt and Georgia at home.

I too wish we could have a full slate of non-conference games. Much easier to make a bowl when you only need 2 or 2 conference wins instead of 5.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2020, 07:05:53 PM »

What's the source on who the extra 2 games are? Is that the 2021 and 2022 opponents moved up? That means we would play @Vanderbilt and Georgia at home.

I too wish we could have a full slate of non-conference games. Much easier to make a bowl when you only need 2 or 2 conference wins instead of 5.

There were reports that it's likely to be the 2021 and 2022 games, but Greg Sankey said on the Finebaum Show that the decision isn't final yet.

I wonder what bowls and the playoff will look like this year.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2020, 10:22:14 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2020, 10:30:40 PM by Santander »

These kinds of competitions are worthless unless you either have weighted scores based on straight up decimal odds, or pick ATS (better for CFB). That's how most betting competitions are run. (including Senate prediction competitions organized by Congressional staffers, where the spread is the poll consensus) Plus you open up over/under markets.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2020, 10:37:27 PM »

Since it has nowhere better to go, I'll say here that the Auburn Tree Poisoner passed away today.  As terrible as his actions were, there is nothing more representative of the insane and borderline illogical nature of rivalries than Harvey Updyke.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29568137/updyke-poisoner-toomer-corner-trees-dies
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 06:07:38 PM »

Great news for both FBS and FCS. Both Northwestern and Indiana State reporting cases. Shut down the Big Ten and MVFC and we might have a chance as delaying the NCAA championships.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 08:21:05 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2020, 07:47:18 PM »

The only appropriate penalties here is the NCAA Death Penalty, and maximum show cause penalties for all Colorado State coaches.

This is literally endangering student athletes lives.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2020, 08:03:04 AM »

UConn cancels:

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »

UConn cancels:

I thought UConn cancelled their football program?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2020, 08:39:45 AM »

UConn dismantling its sports program and Ivy Leagues cancelling sports programs is the downgrading of athletic programs in colleges due to telecommunications and online learning in Colleges. It wont be long before most Universities have transitioned to classes online
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »

UConn cancels:

No, it's still going as an independent after UConn left the AAC for the Big East, although it's been speculated that they'll either drop football or move down to FCS at some point.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »

UConn cancels:

No, it's still going as an independent after UConn left the AAC for the Big East, although it's been speculated that they'll either drop football or move down to FCS at some point.

They probably won't. They have so many money games on the schedule that the new situation is a massive upgrade over conference affiliation in a non-geographically cohesive unit. Being an independent is actually pretty close to ideal with UMass and Army just short drives away. Might even beat a new conference with UMass, Army, Liberty and a couple potential FCS upgrades like Delaware and Albany (who seem most interested despite lack of real success in 15 years).

It's hard to see them any more competitive in the FCS (fringe top 25), and the money in the fewer money games would fall by 50-70%.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »

UConn cancels:

If the rest of the FBS doesn't follow UConn's lead, then Congress needs to step in.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2020, 12:59:58 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

The Mid-American Conference has postponed its entire fall sports season, becoming the first FBS conference to make the drastic decision because of ongoing concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

The Mid-American Conference has postponed its entire fall sports season, becoming the first FBS conference to make the drastic decision because of ongoing concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic.

This feels like dominoes starting to fall, similar to the week of the basketball conference tournaments.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2020, 02:55:01 PM »

"If I were president, we would be playing college football" is the clinching argument for Biden.

Lots of developing countries are bringing back sports without COVID outbreaks. We can't, thanks to Trumps' ineptitude.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies