What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:00:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy?
None - basic readings in well-known works

None - But I read more profession materials as well

Undergraduate degree

Graduate degree (non PhD)

Graduate degree PhD

Formal education in another discipline but with strong links to Philosophy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy?  (Read 1718 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« on: June 21, 2020, 11:50:27 AM »

So straightforward questions. I feel a lot of discussion on philosophy on line is done by people who's formal education isn't the field and sometimes misjudge what's really going on. Or they come from Political Science\Economics and such with some basic understanding.

I personally have a BA in Philosophy, and an MA in the Philosophy of Science. Pondering on doing a relaxed Phd for fun.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:11:47 AM »

Looking at the BA requirements in the states it seems undergraduate education is slimmer than the requirements here. This is the courses I took within my philosophy degree and it seems we take far more credits than what colleges demand (I'm excluding philosophy courses I took that were a part of my LLB requirements). I wonder if American courses are just chunkier and have a thicker syllabus.

Into to Greek Phil (4 credits)
Intro to Logic (7 credits)
Critical reading in texts (4 credits)
Central problems of philosophy (2 credits)
History of modern philosophy Descartes to Kant (6 credits)
Into to Metaphysics (4 credits)
Into to Epistemology (4 credits)
Into to the Philosophy of Mind (4 credits)
Into to Analytic Philosophy (2 credits)
Into to the Philosophy of Science (4 credits)
Proofs to the existence of god (2 credits)
Physics, the Brain, and Free Will (2 credits)
Symmetry (2 credits)
Natural Language from a computational perspective (2 credits)
Advanced topics in Political Philosophy (6 credits)
Philosophy of Mathematics (3 credits)
The split between analytic and continental philosophy (2 credits)
Advance Logic I (3 credits).

each credit is worth one classroom academic hour of per week
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 05:49:40 AM »

I took one philosophy class as a gen ed when I was getting my BS in Finance and my BS in Economics.

Tbh I hated it, thought all the philosophers we talked about were pretty much just lazy and pretentious and didn't see the point of studying that kind of stuff. We are here, so like, you make a way you know what I'm saying? The way I kind of feel about it is that trying to establish some sort of universal meaning is kinda stupid. You paint your own meaning on the world, and sh**t like that. So I don't get the point of like, actual "philosophy" in the way of, this is the meaning of life and all.

They didn't even mention the best philosopher of all time, Ayn Rand, either.
I think it’s more of a stereotype. Years or learning and reading philosophy and I encountered one piece about the meaning of life (by Thomas Nagel), and even that one was in a reserved manner. There’s a massive gap between what people think philosophers do and what they do. The problem is that those general courses usually talk about Camus and others that were in fact novelists not philosophers

Rand was quite a terrible philosopher. Basic logical fallacies and misunderstanding of Kant.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:45:56 AM »

Looking at the BA requirements in the states it seems undergraduate education is slimmer than the requirements here. This is the courses I took within my philosophy degree and it seems we take far more credits than what colleges demand (I'm excluding philosophy courses I took that were a part of my LLB requirements). I wonder if American courses are just chunkier and have a thicker syllabus.

This is generally true for all US majors of substance compared to developed nations. Our first 2 years of college are basically high school (and increasingly so), and you dont really get into non-basic major courses until your junior year. In the sciences, a phd in Europe dives straight into research, while most of our schools need a year of courses first. The more mathematical the subject, the further behind the US is.

On the other hand, we still get the best students from around the world, so we still lead research-wise.

A PhD in Europe (and here) is usually a follow up to an intense research focused master degree where you already write a thesis. I remember long ago when I contemplated doing a PhD in philosophy but after doing an MA with a thesis I found it annoying that any American programme would require me to basically do another MA for the first two years of the PhD programme.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »

An obligatory two semester university course.

But if you're talking about the Islamic philosophy, then obviously much more.
I guess it depends. In Israel philosophy and Jewish philosophy are two different departments within the university (and non Jewish philosophy is put under religious studies programme). That’s excluding religious education institutions.

I must admit that I don’t find Jewish/Islamic/Christian philosophy all that. Went through some masterworks back in my MA for a course on medieval philosophy and found it quite thin. Some writers had interesting things to say (Aquinas and Erasmus e.g. but on non religious issues).

So for the sake of this poll it’s a no
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies