What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:18:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy?
None - basic readings in well-known works

None - But I read more profession materials as well

Undergraduate degree

Graduate degree (non PhD)

Graduate degree PhD

Formal education in another discipline but with strong links to Philosophy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy?  (Read 1730 times)
SInNYC

« on: June 26, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »

Looking at the BA requirements in the states it seems undergraduate education is slimmer than the requirements here. This is the courses I took within my philosophy degree and it seems we take far more credits than what colleges demand (I'm excluding philosophy courses I took that were a part of my LLB requirements). I wonder if American courses are just chunkier and have a thicker syllabus.

This is generally true for all US majors of substance compared to developed nations. Our first 2 years of college are basically high school (and increasingly so), and you dont really get into non-basic major courses until your junior year. In the sciences, a phd in Europe dives straight into research, while most of our schools need a year of courses first. The more mathematical the subject, the further behind the US is.

On the other hand, we still get the best students from around the world, so we still lead research-wise.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies