What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:47:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy?
None - basic readings in well-known works

None - But I read more profession materials as well

Undergraduate degree

Graduate degree (non PhD)

Graduate degree PhD

Formal education in another discipline but with strong links to Philosophy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: What level of formal education do you have in Philosophy?  (Read 1724 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2020, 11:50:27 AM »

So straightforward questions. I feel a lot of discussion on philosophy on line is done by people who's formal education isn't the field and sometimes misjudge what's really going on. Or they come from Political Science\Economics and such with some basic understanding.

I personally have a BA in Philosophy, and an MA in the Philosophy of Science. Pondering on doing a relaxed Phd for fun.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »

Will have completed a BA in Philosophy by next year
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »

Formal education in another discipline but with strong links to philosophy — B.A., History and Religious Studies
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 02:32:05 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2020, 02:44:10 AM by Anna Komnene »

I had credits to fill in my BA, so I minored in Philosophy. I wanted to do something literary, but I had a falling out with etymology obsessed literature professors. Philosophy professors were way more chill. I liked it, but I feel like the minor was a mistake because it forced me to slog through the Ancient Greeks with a bunch of freshman who didn't read the material. It would've been more fun to just pick the most interesting courses.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:11:47 AM »

Looking at the BA requirements in the states it seems undergraduate education is slimmer than the requirements here. This is the courses I took within my philosophy degree and it seems we take far more credits than what colleges demand (I'm excluding philosophy courses I took that were a part of my LLB requirements). I wonder if American courses are just chunkier and have a thicker syllabus.

Into to Greek Phil (4 credits)
Intro to Logic (7 credits)
Critical reading in texts (4 credits)
Central problems of philosophy (2 credits)
History of modern philosophy Descartes to Kant (6 credits)
Into to Metaphysics (4 credits)
Into to Epistemology (4 credits)
Into to the Philosophy of Mind (4 credits)
Into to Analytic Philosophy (2 credits)
Into to the Philosophy of Science (4 credits)
Proofs to the existence of god (2 credits)
Physics, the Brain, and Free Will (2 credits)
Symmetry (2 credits)
Natural Language from a computational perspective (2 credits)
Advanced topics in Political Philosophy (6 credits)
Philosophy of Mathematics (3 credits)
The split between analytic and continental philosophy (2 credits)
Advance Logic I (3 credits).

each credit is worth one classroom academic hour of per week
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 01:14:51 PM »

Formal education in another discipline but with strong links to philosophy — B.A., History and Religious Studies
What are you doing with that... interesting double major?
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »

None.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 05:01:55 PM »

I took one philosophy class as a gen ed when I was getting my BS in Finance and my BS in Economics.

Tbh I hated it, thought all the philosophers we talked about were pretty much just lazy and pretentious and didn't see the point of studying that kind of stuff. We are here, so like, you make a way you know what I'm saying? The way I kind of feel about it is that trying to establish some sort of universal meaning is kinda stupid. You paint your own meaning on the world, and sh**t like that. So I don't get the point of like, actual "philosophy" in the way of, this is the meaning of life and all.

They didn't even mention the best philosopher of all time, Ayn Rand, either.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 05:49:40 AM »

I took one philosophy class as a gen ed when I was getting my BS in Finance and my BS in Economics.

Tbh I hated it, thought all the philosophers we talked about were pretty much just lazy and pretentious and didn't see the point of studying that kind of stuff. We are here, so like, you make a way you know what I'm saying? The way I kind of feel about it is that trying to establish some sort of universal meaning is kinda stupid. You paint your own meaning on the world, and sh**t like that. So I don't get the point of like, actual "philosophy" in the way of, this is the meaning of life and all.

They didn't even mention the best philosopher of all time, Ayn Rand, either.
I think it’s more of a stereotype. Years or learning and reading philosophy and I encountered one piece about the meaning of life (by Thomas Nagel), and even that one was in a reserved manner. There’s a massive gap between what people think philosophers do and what they do. The problem is that those general courses usually talk about Camus and others that were in fact novelists not philosophers

Rand was quite a terrible philosopher. Basic logical fallacies and misunderstanding of Kant.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 06:03:38 AM »

None other than what I was taught in high school (When I was in high school philosophy was mandatory here in years 11 and 12; as well as an ethics class in year 10 which was also mandatory).

Year 10 Ethics I cannot remember much. I remember having a teacher who came from Eastern Europe I think and had a rather strong accent and watching like one movie in class and commenting on it, but I cannot remember anything about the actual contents of the class.

Year 11 Philosophy was more theoretical and abstract and to be honest I cannot remember much either. I remember even less than year 10 ethics

Year 12 "History of Philosophy" was literally just learning about the philosophy from 5 historical philosophers (Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Marx and Nietsche). This one I actually remember some stuff, but even then it is extremely basic and superficial concepts.

Truth be told, for my career path I don't really think you need philosophy that much.

I will also note that the last education reform made it so year 10 Ethics and year 12 History of Philosophy are now optional and not mandatory, so the current Spanish curriculum with regards to philosophy is even more limited and basic.
SInNYC

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »

Looking at the BA requirements in the states it seems undergraduate education is slimmer than the requirements here. This is the courses I took within my philosophy degree and it seems we take far more credits than what colleges demand (I'm excluding philosophy courses I took that were a part of my LLB requirements). I wonder if American courses are just chunkier and have a thicker syllabus.

This is generally true for all US majors of substance compared to developed nations. Our first 2 years of college are basically high school (and increasingly so), and you dont really get into non-basic major courses until your junior year. In the sciences, a phd in Europe dives straight into research, while most of our schools need a year of courses first. The more mathematical the subject, the further behind the US is.

On the other hand, we still get the best students from around the world, so we still lead research-wise.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 04:45:56 AM »

This is generally true for all US majors of substance compared to developed nations. Our first 2 years of college are basically high school (and increasingly so), and you dont really get into non-basic major courses until your junior year. In the sciences, a phd in Europe dives straight into research, while most of our schools need a year of courses first. The more mathematical the subject, the further behind the US is.

On the other hand, we still get the best students from around the world, so we still lead research-wise.

A PhD in Europe (and here) is usually a follow up to an intense research focused master degree where you already write a thesis. I remember long ago when I contemplated doing a PhD in philosophy but after doing an MA with a thesis I found it annoying that any American programme would require me to basically do another MA for the first two years of the PhD programme.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 06:44:16 AM »

My B.A. is in environmental studies, which included some coursework on environmental ethics and philosophy, mostly stuff like Leopold’s land ethic and reading some deep ecology writers. I still regularly read some interesting ecological writers (I just finished Paul Kingsnorth’s Confessions of a Recovering Environmentalist), and since they’re not exactly Kant or Locke I picked the second option. I’m sure I’ll end up reading some legal philosophy during my current program of study (a J.D.).
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 07:28:21 AM »

What are you doing with that... interesting double major?

Community organizing, various internships (one cancelled due to COVID-19), editing, personal projects. I’m taking a gap year before applying to grad school in a few months, where depending on admissions results I’ll be getting either an MDiv, an MTS, or an MA in one of those two fields. Long-term goal is political strategist with publishing/commentator side gig.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 06:30:40 AM »

An obligatory two semester university course.

But if you're talking about the Islamic philosophy, then obviously much more.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »

I didnt like philosophy, but in Liberal Arts, Humanities it is called and History is a form of philosophy due to the fact, as I found out later that religious and political thought are in philosophical thought of blue v red divide: since cold War Secular v Traditional and even Evangelicals like Lincoln and Jesus and Martin Luther and the Popes can be Secular due to Karl Marx and helping the poor👍👍👍 Archdiocese are Dems rather than Rs due to fact they have Catholic charities just like Salvation Army
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »

I had to leave college for personal/family reasons, but I was studying for a B.A. in Theology and Philosophy and I still intend to complete my degree in that discipline when I'm able to and possibly a Master's or Doctorate.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »

An obligatory two semester university course.

But if you're talking about the Islamic philosophy, then obviously much more.
I guess it depends. In Israel philosophy and Jewish philosophy are two different departments within the university (and non Jewish philosophy is put under religious studies programme). That’s excluding religious education institutions.

I must admit that I don’t find Jewish/Islamic/Christian philosophy all that. Went through some masterworks back in my MA for a course on medieval philosophy and found it quite thin. Some writers had interesting things to say (Aquinas and Erasmus e.g. but on non religious issues).

So for the sake of this poll it’s a no
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »

You don't get a Masters if Education without going through some philosophy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies