Gun Ownership/Rights?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:34:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gun Ownership/Rights?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gun Ownership/Rights?  (Read 15615 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2004, 01:08:49 AM »

The right to bear arms shall not be infringed. That's my stance.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 01:17:00 AM »

I tend to Agree or Strongly Agree... Although I am for background checks and locks on all new guns I feel strongly that any law abiding citizen should be able to have a gun. Just keep them away from criminals and people who don't know what the hell their doing with them and everything should be fine.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 03:18:51 AM »

I tend to Agree or Strongly Agree... Although I am for background checks and locks on all new guns I feel strongly that any law abiding citizen should be able to have a gun. Just keep them away from criminals and people who don't know what the hell their doing with them and everything should be fine.

SO I'm guessing you disagree with the NRA??/
California Dreamer

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 04:53:50 AM »

funny how people always forget the first part of the 2nd amendment

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

We have a standing army now, so a 'well regulated militia' is no longer needed.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 09:03:10 AM »

A standing army is unconstitutional. We do not NEED one of those. We do have militias but they were transformed into the National Guard. After that little Civil War incident the Federal Government got scared of its citizens organizing and defending its states constitutional rights.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 11:43:17 AM »

I support any gun being legal as long as it has a legitimate hunting or sporting purpose. Otherwise, I don't believe that a weapon should be legally available to the general public if it has no legitimate use other than to kill people. Note that this covers the entire spectrum from Sherman Tanks, nuclear bombs, AK-47s, Uzis, etc....if you believe in an ABSOLUTE right to bear arms I'd think you'd have to say that everything must be legal, up to and including tanks and nuclear bombs. Otherwise you are admitting that it is ok to ban some weapons, but not others...so then where do you draw the line? I say if the gun has no legitimate purpose at all other than to kill people, it shouldn't be legal.

Obviously there is some degree of disagreement as to whether or not a gun has a legitimate hunting or sporting purpose, but for most weapons old fashioned common sense should do the job...would anyone in their right mind use this gun to deer hunt, for example? Obviously a fully automatic machine gun is completely useless for hunting.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 11:45:52 AM »

Also, before anyone says anything, I have hunted personally before, and live in a very rural area where hunting is HUGE. I'm not some big-city elitist. Smiley
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 11:50:29 AM »

SO I'm guessing you disagree with the NRA??/

Hmmm in some ways yes in others no.... If you gave me two choices either guns are banned or anyone can buy a gun... I'd go for the latter option.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 11:53:16 AM »

Agreed, Wildcard, I strongly support guns being legal if they have a legitimate use for something other than killing people. I fully recognize the importance of guns and the need for people to defend themselves. I just think that you have to draw the line somewhere, obviously, and that seems to be the most logical place to draw the line.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 12:05:12 PM »

I am for background checks, background checks at gun shows, and assault weapons bans. I could probably be talked into supporting a one gun a month policy.

I am not for expanding the gun ban list and I am against forcing gun owners to get licenses. I fully and completely support legislation to protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits; after all, if I run over someone with my Cadillac, for example, they don't sue GM. I am *not against* allowing people to apply for and obtain permits, provided they are competent and of sound mind, to carry a concealed weapon for protection.

I absolutely believe the 2nd amendment gives individuals the right to own guns, so the question for me isn't should there be gun control, but how much should there be.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 12:07:18 PM »

I am for background checks, background checks at gun shows, and assault weapons bans. I could probably be talked into supporting a one gun a month policy.

I am not for expanding the gun ban list and I am against forcing gun owners to get licenses. I fully and completely support legislation to protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits; after all, if I run over someone with my Cadillac, for example, they don't sue GM. I am *not against* allowing people to apply for and obtain permits, provided they are competent and of sound mind, to carry a concealed weapon for protection.

I absolutely believe the 2nd amendment gives individuals the right to own guns, so the question for me isn't should there be gun control, but how much should there be.

Very well put.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 12:16:22 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2004, 02:45:12 PM by TheGiantSaguaro »

Very well put.

Thank you. Smiley

I guess your senators are very anti-gun, especially Feinstein?
Jezziah

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 12:25:15 PM »

Allowing anyone right to bare arms is just asking for trouble, just look at colombine and dunblain.
Gun crime is always going to be a problem while guns are easily accesible
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 02:13:44 PM »

"Strongly Disagree"
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 02:25:10 PM »

unlike most conservatives i think ALL of the amendements are equaly important.
even the second.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 03:57:05 PM »

Strongly agree, having guns in the hands of law abiding citizens saves lives.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 04:00:34 PM »

Background checks, no assault weapons
Jezziah

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 04:27:46 PM »

But the guns don't just go into law abiding hands do they, they get into criminals hands who use them to murder people, and unstable people's hands who take them into school and use them to shoot their classmates and teachers
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 04:36:15 PM »

But the guns don't just go into law abiding hands do they, they get into criminals hands who use them to murder people, and unstable people's hands who take them into school and use them to shoot their classmates and teachers

But if you make guns illegal and law abiding people turn theirs' in who still has them? The bad guys aren't going to turn their guns in! I think that makes everyone a bit less safe especially in their homes.

Exactly.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2004, 04:41:11 PM »

Storngly Agree!
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2004, 05:57:01 PM »

What kind of weapon is not an assault weapon?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2004, 05:59:34 PM »

"The right for a citizen to have and bear arms shall not be infringed..."
-2nd Ammendment.
zachman

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2004, 05:59:52 PM »

I'd permit one standard model hunting rifle for the sportsmen. I'd restrict non-cooking knife sales because the buyers are just sick, and I'd promote stun-guns.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2004, 10:32:50 PM »

You seem to have missed the word "FREE."
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2004, 10:34:43 PM »

I support any gun being legal as long as it has a legitimate hunting or sporting purpose. Otherwise, I don't believe that a weapon should be legally available to the general public if it has no legitimate use other than to kill people. Note that this covers the entire spectrum from Sherman Tanks, nuclear bombs, AK-47s, Uzis, etc....if you believe in an ABSOLUTE right to bear arms I'd think you'd have to say that everything must be legal, up to and including tanks and nuclear bombs. Otherwise you are admitting that it is ok to ban some weapons, but not others...so then where do you draw the line? I say if the gun has no legitimate purpose at all other than to kill people, it shouldn't be legal.

Obviously there is some degree of disagreement as to whether or not a gun has a legitimate hunting or sporting purpose, but for most weapons old fashioned common sense should do the job...would anyone in their right mind use this gun to deer hunt, for example? Obviously a fully automatic machine gun is completely useless for hunting.

Are you suggesting there is NO right to self-defense?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies