school uniforms?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:39:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  school uniforms?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: school uniforms?  (Read 19483 times)
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2004, 01:13:46 PM »

If it benefits the poor so much, then why is it usually the rich that supports uniforms?

"If it benefits the poor so much, then why is it usually the rich that supports" <insert elitist policy here>?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2004, 04:22:01 PM »

Uniforms are a good idea, although admittedly it would be better if they could be made a little more comfortable.  It reduces classroom distractions as you don't spend the whole time judging people on what they wear.

I spend the whole time at school judging the people on what they wear?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Then pick your clothes out the night before!  Grin

Which is why we should educate kids about morals in school... just in case they didn't pick something up at home Wink
Jezziah

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2004, 04:25:05 PM »

Uniforms are a good idea, although admittedly it would be better if they could be made a little more comfortable.  It reduces classroom distractions as you don't spend the whole time judging people on what they wear.

Which is why we should educate kids about morals in school... just in case they didn't pick something up at home Wink

School is a place for learning, not for looking better than your friends
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2004, 04:28:15 PM »

Which is why we should learn that you shouldn't judge people by their outward appearances.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2004, 06:23:50 PM »

I will admit that uniforms are for the states to decide.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2004, 07:03:16 PM »

Uniforms are bad, very bad..
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2004, 03:49:48 AM »

Do you actually have an argument against them?

You just seem to keep saying they are bad, but not why or why it is better we wear our own clothes.
Jezziah

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2004, 05:12:21 AM »

Which is why we should learn that you shouldn't judge people by their outward appearances.

Are you telling me that you've never judged someone by what they look like?  And are you telling me that people will always listen to what you teach them, that every kid does what their parents and teachers tell them?
Tory

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2004, 06:05:10 AM »

I am in favour of school uniforms. I think that while they do somewhat limit a person's ability to express themselves, they draw attention away from superficial things and put the focus back on learning. That said, I personally hated wearing a school uniform.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2004, 11:11:46 AM »

Are you telling me that you've never judged someone by what they look like?

No.

[authoritarian ILV]If you teach them from a young age not to judge people by their ouward appearances, they won't.  By a young age, I'm talking 2 or 3.[/authoritarian ILV]

No, every kid does not do that.  However, when you're young, you're like a fresh bock of clay... ready to be molded.  That may be impersonal, but it's the truth (unless of course the 'nature' side of 'nature vs. nurture' is truthful... then I don't know what to think Tongue).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2004, 11:30:26 AM »

Personally, I'd hate to wear uniforms because then I couldn't intentionally "dress badly," according to the people who "dress well."  If it cost more than $10, then I don't want it.  I hate clothing stores with a passion, and 90% of the time, I can't even remember what clothes I'm wearing.  Like now, not sure .. . . probably some academic team shirt, {looks down}, ah, yes.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2004, 06:58:08 PM »

Can the skirts be really really short?  If so, then yes.

Generally, I'm with Harry on the whole issue of dress, I think.  Nothing on me cost more than a few dollars.  I like to look very impoverished and destitute whenever possible, particularly when I'm vacationing in larger third-world cities.  
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2004, 08:47:18 PM »

Uniforms are compulsory in every Hih School in my home city of Melbourne bar three- 1 is a high school based in a University (Swinburne VCE Insttute), 1 is a high school right next to a university and very involved with it (The University High School Cheesy) and 1 is a school for 'problem' students, Kensington High School.

I go to a public high school, that has uniform-and i don't just mean a tshirt and a pair of tracksuit pants.

we have the whole deal-black leather shoes, woolen blazer, black (non-polyester) pants, white shirt, tie, etc etc.

It equalises us all. Some of our tudents are from very wealthy families, some ar from the middle, and alot (47%) are from families where euither they were born overseas or their parents were. Most of these families are poor.

A one-time spending of $350 on a uniform that will last the four years of school is actually cheaper then having to buy new clothes all the time for school. And if you wear the same clothes every day because you can't afford to have a large wardrobe, at least you don't stand out.

Sure, it isn't all that comfortable, but I believe that comfort is relative. Some people like to wear the blazer and shoes. At least it prepares us for the workforce, when we have to wear suits and ties all the time anyway.

There are aruments for 'free' dressing-its vibrant, it livens up the school, it gives people a choice. And whilst all these are valid to a degree, the fact of the matter is that school with uniforms can still be vibrant, sucessful, and lively. My school had the second best academic results in the state, has many sucessful sports teams, many music ensembles, an army cadet corps, an air force cadet wing, and just put on a performance of Les Miserables that was rated as four stars. For a school production, thats damn good.

On the ssue of choice: yes, its's great to choose if you can. But ome people can't. It would be unfair on them, and on such an unimportant issue as uniforms I cannot see why we should try to create division within our schools between the cool people who wear a new pair of jeans every day, and those that wear the same pair for four years.

School uniforms=good and necessary.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »

Errr, well my school district is one of the highest districts in the nation, consistantly getting getting in the top 3 in the state in standardized test scores... which is saying a lot, given that Minnesota is probably in the top 3 in the nation for education overall.

We don't have uniforms.

Therefore, your academics argument is faulty Cheesy
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2004, 09:27:23 PM »

you are only top 3, we're top 2.

And the top school, and third school, both have uniforms too.

In fact, 9 of the top 10 do-Uni High comes in at 5th.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2004, 10:21:51 PM »

Generally, I'm with Harry on the whole issue of dress, I think.  Nothing on me cost more than a few dollars.  I like to look very impoverished and destitute whenever possible, particularly when I'm vacationing in larger third-world cities.  

Its your white face that designates you as rich.. though you might get better deals if you look *cheap*.  Which I do - if it costs more than $2, its too much.  I know some good thrift stores.  
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2004, 11:13:15 PM »

Well I live in the best school district in the state. . . . .oh wait, I forgot, that means nothing.

At least Mississippi has better schools than DC!
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2004, 11:14:15 PM »

At least Mississippi has better schools than DC!

Probably better than Kentucky too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2004, 01:59:35 PM »

Its your white face that designates you as rich.. though you might get better deals if you look *cheap*.  Which I do - if it costs more than $2, its too much.  I know some good thrift stores.  

alas.  yes, or as they say in Jamaica, "you're a poorist, man"  (poor tourist)  yeah, looking cheap helps in negotiations.  ("Higgling" in Jamaica)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2004, 04:05:47 PM »

Actually, it was just a guess.. but we are up there somewhere (very near the top).  Besides, you're comparing apples to oranges... I bet here 9/10 top schools don't have uniforms... maybe even 10/10.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2004, 09:06:16 AM »

Actually, it was just a guess.. but we are up there somewhere (very near the top).  Besides, you're comparing apples to oranges... I bet here 9/10 top schools don't have uniforms... maybe even 10/10.

I thought you said no schools there did though, some in Australia do and some don't.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2004, 12:57:46 PM »

I thought you said no schools there did though, some in Australia do and some don't.

Many in America these days do. In the '70s and '80s it was almost unheard of for an American public school to require uniforms, but now it's common.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies