If Biden wins 2020, will the 2024 Democratic primary be competitive?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:21:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If Biden wins 2020, will the 2024 Democratic primary be competitive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Biden wins 2020, will the 2024 Democratic primary be competitive?  (Read 1204 times)
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2020, 01:45:50 AM »

Le't say Biden wins 2020 and decides to only serve one term. Would his VP get a coronation in 2024, or would she face a competitive primary?
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 02:46:50 AM »

Huh, I actually Was going to ask this a few days ago and simply forgot.

It depends who’s chosen, but it probably won’t be very competitive.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 05:00:08 AM »

I feel some sort of token progressive candidate running is inevitable.

Otherwise, it all depends on how Biden's term goes, right? There's clearly division in the party, and if he ends up being unpopular, there's not a lack of ambitious Democrats who'd want to take advantage of it.

dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 08:18:48 AM »

It'll be similar to 2016 as it'll be Biden's VP vs a Progressive that does better than expected.
Empty Rhetoric
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 08:36:48 AM »

Without the threat of Trump in office, I’d guess voters would be far more open to electing a progressive candidate(see the ideological vs. electability battle this primary season). The narrative this time around was about the danger of Donald Trump over the direction of the party.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »

It'll be similar to 2016 as it'll be Biden's VP vs a Progressive that does better than expected.

I think this is about right unless Biden picks Warren for VP which is appearing increasingly unlikely.  Speaking of whom seems the best posed to be that challenger.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 06:05:45 PM »

Assuming the VP isn't a progressive (e.g., Warren or somehow Abrams), it'd be somewhat competitive, given the Democratic Party's evident moderate/progressive divide. Personally, I think the VP would probably only start out as clear a front-runner for the 2024 nomination as Biden did for the 2020 nomination (though, suffice it to say that such being the case obviously still turned out pretty well for him).

In any event (with the obvious exception of Biden running for re-election as an incumbent, though), I think the 2024 Democratic primary would be more of a 2020/16 redux than a 2000 or (GOP) 1992-like redux.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 11:20:42 AM »

Out of the current crop of VP choices, I think only Stacey Abrams would make it through a primary unscathed.

All of the white women, including Warren, would get buried by someone like AOC. Not sure what would happen with Kamala, but I assume the Black establishment could successfully rescue her like they did Biden.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 05:06:19 PM »

Probably Harris vs AOC
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 07:01:00 PM »

What if Biden pulls a Pope Benedict, and steps down early for health reasons, say halfway through his term?  His VP then runs in 2024 as the incumbent president.  Would she face any meaningful opposition in the primary at all?
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 07:43:42 AM »

What if Biden pulls a Pope Benedict, and steps down early for health reasons, say halfway through his term?  His VP then runs in 2024 as the incumbent president.  Would she face any meaningful opposition in the primary at all?

That's certainly a plausible scenario, and it's unlikely she would face any real competition, unless some crisis happened that crashed her approvals well into the thirties.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 05:53:56 AM »

I assume Kamala Harris will be the clear frontrunner as the incumbent VP, AOC will run to try and push Harris to the left
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 11:55:31 PM »

Eh. It could be depending on the VP and how the country is doing. In all likelihood, the primary will be competitive but Biden's VP will come out on top and will be the Democratic Nominee in 2024.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 04:39:44 AM »

Yes in the sense that the leading challenger probably will win multiple primaries/caucuses.

We aren't really talking about Al Gore in 2000, where he only got one opponent. Whoever that VP is will get multiple opponents (especially if he picks someone like Warren, who isn't that young herself-a bunch of younger Democrats will challenge her in the primaries).
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 04:29:45 PM »

Yes, I expect it to be so, the progressives wing will definitely end up making another run for the nomination.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies