Why was the media so bored in between W’s inauguration and 9/11? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:01:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why was the media so bored in between W’s inauguration and 9/11? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why was the media so bored in between W’s inauguration and 9/11?  (Read 1538 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:56:39 PM »

The period between January and September 2001 was uneventful, to put it mildly. There are only two events that I can think of from that period: the passage of the first round of Bush tax cuts in June 2001 (which was noted above) and the execution of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh that same month. McVeigh, in fact, was executed exactly three months before 9/11-which I consider to be a unsettling omen.

The 2000 election itself was relatively boring until the Florida debacle, dominated largely by discussion of domestic policy and Bush's efforts to restore "honor and dignity" to the White House in the aftermath of the Clinton Administration's scandals (i.e. Monica Lewinsky, Whitewater, Travelgate, etc.). In general, the United States seemed to pass through some kind of a "peaceful" or less unstable interlude on the international stage, from the fall of the Soviet Union to 9/11, and the first half of 2001 was the final phase of that interlude.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies