S.20.2-19: Autonomous Technology Regulation Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:21:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-19: Autonomous Technology Regulation Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.2-19: Autonomous Technology Regulation Act (Tabled)  (Read 715 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2020, 09:49:59 PM »
« edited: July 27, 2020, 12:26:57 AM by Deputy Speaker Spark »

Autonomous Technology Regulation Act

Section 1. Title & Authorization
a. The title of this act shall be the Autonomous Technology Regulation Act
b. The bill authorizes a driverless vehicle to operate on the public highways without a conventional human driver physically present in the vehicle if the vehicle meets certain conditions.
c. While in driverless operation, the vehicle must be capable of operating in compliance with the applicable traffic and motor vehicle safety laws.
d. The vehicle must be certified by the manufacturer to be in compliance with motor vehicle safety standards.

Section 2. Liability

a. Before an autonomous vehicle is allowed to operate on the public highways, that the owner submit proof of financial liability coverage for the vehicle.
b. In the event of an accident, the vehicle must remain on scene. If it fails to do so, the vehicle's owner shall be held liable.
c. In the event of a malfunction in the design or internal modification that contributes toward the causation of an accident, the vehicle manufacturer shall be held liable for such a malfunction.

Sponsor: Spark498
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 01:13:34 AM »

Delegate Spark, are you aware of TIJ Pro? Some points of S.20.2-19 may be moot inlight of this.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »

Delegate Spark, are you aware of TIJ Pro? Some points of S.20.2-19 may be moot inlight of this.

Yes. The purpose of this bill is to regulate autonomous technology. I am open to any amendments.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 02:58:36 AM »

Just so people can read the Text of TIJ Pro without having the check the link:
Quote from: TIJ Pro Act
Section I: Title and Terms
1.1) This shall be known as the "Transport Industry Jobs Protection Act" or "TIJ-Pro Act"
1.2) Terms
a) Self Driving Vehicle Technology (SDVT), technology that makes a vehicle capable of performing all driving functions under certain conditions or under all conditions.
b) Trucking Industry – Vehicles that fall under the description of Commercial Drivers Licenses (CDLs), Rail Road, and/or water going vehicles used for the transportation of goods.
c) Passenger Transport Industry – Taxis, buses, public transport & mass private transport (anything greater than 6 passengers).
d) Luxury vehicle – Any road vehicle with a selling price, in new condition, of over $50,000.

Section II: Self Driving Vehicle Technology Ban
2.1) SDVT is banned for use for both trucking and passenger transport industries in the Southern Region.
2.2) Any businesses currently using SDVT at the implementation of this bill has a two-month phasing out period.

Section III: Exemptions & Registration Fees
3.1) SDVT is legal for use on one private vehicle.
3.2) Private vehicles using SDVT will pay a SDVT registration fee of $240 annually.
3.3) Luxury vehicles using SDVT will incur a SDVT registration fee of $2,400 annually.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 06:39:16 AM »

The bill authorizes a driverless vehicle to operate on the public highways without a conventional human driver physically present in the vehicle if the vehicle meets certain conditions.

What are those conditions?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »

The bill authorizes a driverless vehicle to operate on the public highways without a conventional human driver physically present in the vehicle if the vehicle meets certain conditions.

What are those conditions?

Registration and safety requirements.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 08:16:27 PM »

Can you elaborate further on circumstances where the manufacturer would be liable?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 08:26:38 PM »

I believe we need more information on this before we can seriously consider this legislation. I generally don't like driverless cars because at the moment the tech has serious flaws and is still susceptible to hackers that could obviously use the car as a weapon. I'm still not sure how I feel about this.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 10:22:12 PM »

Can you elaborate further on circumstances where the manufacturer would be liable?

Such as a malfunction to contribute to a cause of an accident.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »

I believe we need more information on this before we can seriously consider this legislation. I generally don't like driverless cars because at the moment the tech has serious flaws and is still susceptible to hackers that could obviously use the car as a weapon. I'm still not sure how I feel about this.

Would you support an amendment to protect against hacking?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »

Just so people can read the Text of TIJ Pro without having the check the link:
Quote from: TIJ Pro Act
Section I: Title and Terms
1.1) This shall be known as the "Transport Industry Jobs Protection Act" or "TIJ-Pro Act"
1.2) Terms
a) Self Driving Vehicle Technology (SDVT), technology that makes a vehicle capable of performing all driving functions under certain conditions or under all conditions.
b) Trucking Industry – Vehicles that fall under the description of Commercial Drivers Licenses (CDLs), Rail Road, and/or water going vehicles used for the transportation of goods.
c) Passenger Transport Industry – Taxis, buses, public transport & mass private transport (anything greater than 6 passengers).
d) Luxury vehicle – Any road vehicle with a selling price, in new condition, of over $50,000.

Section II: Self Driving Vehicle Technology Ban
2.1) SDVT is banned for use for both trucking and passenger transport industries in the Southern Region.
2.2) Any businesses currently using SDVT at the implementation of this bill has a two-month phasing out period.

Section III: Exemptions & Registration Fees
3.1) SDVT is legal for use on one private vehicle.
3.2) Private vehicles using SDVT will pay a SDVT registration fee of $240 annually.
3.3) Luxury vehicles using SDVT will incur a SDVT registration fee of $2,400 annually.

The purpose of the legislation I am proposing is to regulate the autonomous vehicle technology.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 03:35:49 AM »

would you like to submit one?
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 03:44:33 PM »

would you like to submit one?

Mr. Speaker, in my view it's best for this bill remaining until the new session begins.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 12:22:09 AM »

I motion to table for the next Chamber to debate and take action on.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »

Mr. Speaker, I would like to withdraw my sponsorship so that this bill may be heard in the next session.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 12:36:57 AM »

If no one takes sponsorship of the bill it will be automatically tabled after 72 hours.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 04:39:28 AM »

If no one takes sponsorship of the bill it will be automatically tabled after 72 hours.

This has been automatically tabled due to the lack of a sponsor.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 10:52:18 AM »

Can't bills be carried over between sessions?

In any case, this is a bill worth bringing back to the floor for this session. It needs work but we need more up to date regulations when it comes to self driving vehicles.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »

Can't bills be carried over between sessions?
Yes and No. Mostly No.

Quote from: Section IV: Introducing and Managing Legislation
4.) All legislative activity and legislation introduced shall be dropped at the end of the legislative session, thereby clearing the queue. Delegates-elect and re-elected Delegates may pre-file legislation and re-sponsor failed legislation, including legislation never brought to the floor, from previous sessions, after the certification of their elections; to be added immediately to the new queue in the order of pre-filing.

In any case, this is a bill worth bringing back to the floor for this session. It needs work but we need more up to date regulations when it comes to self driving vehicles.

Indeed, I reckon Spark will rework the bill for the 19th session of the Chamber.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies