Cook Upgrades MT-Sen to "Tossup"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:55:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cook Upgrades MT-Sen to "Tossup"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cook Upgrades MT-Sen to "Tossup"  (Read 743 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2020, 09:29:16 AM »

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 09:30:36 AM »

This changes nothing. Cook still has CO-SEN as a tossup.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 09:59:59 AM »

Gardner would be more likely to win than Bullock. Trump is going to win Montana by atleast 20 points, that would be impossible for Bullock to overcome, also, he's running against an incumbent. Trump last time around lost by 4.9 points in Colorado, and Darryl Glenn barely underperformed him, and he was running against Bennet, who was an incumbent.

This time around, Hickenlooper is running against an incumbent, he is more gaffe prone than Biden, he has a lot of baggage, he compared himself to slaves, he thought George Floyd was shot, he ignored to show up for court, the ethics commision found him guilty and fined him, his ethics scandal cost taxpayers over 100,000 dollars, he's made numerous comments on camera that he would be a lousy senator, that's it's not for him, etc. He's even struggling to survive the primary without Schumer's help, and that's pretty pathetic for an outgoing governor. So it's not even likely that he will be the one to face Gardner.

If you honestly think that Steve Bullock is going to perform better than Gardner you obviously have a bias.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 10:06:48 AM »

Gardner would be more likely to win than Bullock. Trump is going to win Montana by atleast 20 points, that would be impossible for Bullock to overcome, also, he's running against an incumbent. Trump last time around lost by 4.9 points in Colorado, and Darryl Glenn barely underperformed him, and he was running against Bennet, who was an incumbent.

This time around, Hickenlooper is running against an incumbent, he is more gaffe prone than Biden, he has a lot of baggage, he compared himself to slaves, he thought George Floyd was shot, he ignored to show up for court, the ethics commision found him guilty and fined him, his ethics scandal cost taxpayers over 100,000 dollars, he's made numerous comments on camera that he would be a lousy senator, that's it's not for him, etc. He's even struggling to survive the primary without Schumer's help, and that's pretty pathetic for an outgoing governor. So it's not even likely that he will be the one to face Gardner.

If you honestly think that Steve Bullock is going to perform better than Gardner you obviously have a bias.

"Trump is going to win Montana by at least 20 points" - that's a pretty bold assertion to make (and it's definitely not clear, or even the most likely outcome).

There's really no piece of evidence that suggests that Gardner can possibly win, either.  Show me some evidence.  I'll wait.  And not just that you think Hickenlooper is a bad candidate...actual evidence that shows that this will overcome the partisan lean of the state.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:07:38 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2020, 10:12:30 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Gardner would be more likely to win than Bullock.

No.

Trump is going to win Montana by atleast 20 points, that would be impossible for Bullock to overcome

He did that before, albeit not with federal levels of partisanship. Polls suggest Trump isn't on course to repeat his own performance.

, also, he's running against an incumbent.

This is an incumbent vs. incumbent race and Bullock has far more access to the benefits of incumbency as a sitting, successful governor during the COVID-19 crisis who has benefited from local media coverage of his response.

Trump last time around lost by 4.9 points in Colorado, and Darryl Glenn barely underperformed him, and he was running against Bennet, who was an incumbent.

Gardner may well out perform Trump, but the leads we've seen so far suggest they're both over 15% their Democratic opponents. Those are safe D margins in a state like CO.

This time around, Hickenlooper is running against an incumbent,

That helps Gardner, but he's apparently a pretty unpopular one if approval ratings are anything to go by.

is more gaffe prone than Biden, he has a lot of baggage, he compared himself to slaves, he thought George Floyd was shot,

Won't matter much in the GE, although gaffes might reduce his margin by a couple of percentage points.

he ignored to show up for court, the ethics commision found him guilty and fined him, his ethics scandal cost taxpayers over 100,000 dollars, he's made numerous comments on camera that he would be a lousy senator, that's it's not for him, etc.

These do matter more and if post-court case polling suggests they're genuinely hurting him, I might move CO-SEN back to likely D. The lack of signs of a Romanoff landslide suggests to me that they won't matter, though; if they were going to hurt Hickenlooper in the GE, I'd expect a magnified effect in the primary.

I have a bias (we all do, though I hope I mostly keep mine in check) but I suspect most blue avatars would agree that Bullock has a better chance of winning than Gardner. Polling certainly suggests this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »

Good, Daines is a rubber stamp for McConnell
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »

ESKETITTTTTTTT
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »

No, it’s not a Tossup, not with an incumbent of this caliber running for reelection. This might be difficult for outsiders to comprehend, but Montanans of all ideological and demographic stripes are united in their belief that now more than ever Washington needs a soothing, compassionate, bipartisan, optimistic voice representing Montana values in Congress, and our own Senator Steven David Daines (Republican-incumbent, he’s the incumbent) provides exactly that by delivering for Montanans in every part of the Treasure State. The disparity in misleading media coverage during this unprecedented crisis is not going to distract our attention away from the valuable federal relief funds championed by Senator Daines, most recently through his bipartisan Recharge and Empower Local Innovation and Entrepreneurs Fund for Main Street Act, which I discussed at great length with Mike and Chad on our last motorcycle trip. When I told them that Senator Daines said on C-SPAN that “This bipartisan legislation is about taking the decision-making powers out of the hands of Washington, D.C., and putting it in the hands of our local communities who know their own needs best,” we all immediately began to tear up and brim with pride, joy, and unwavering dedication in our support for Senator Daines' reelection bid. We tried to behold the natural wonders, but they just paled in comparison to Senator Daines' tireless work on behalf of us... ya know, us ordinary folks. I guess this must be the magic they say our Senators are so good at conjuring up. I certainly know that I won’t live to see the day when either of them is defeated.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 05:21:06 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2020, 05:25:26 PM by Chancellor Gracile »

To be fair, the discerning, reputable minds of the Cook Political Report (Dave Wasserman, Amy Walter, Jessica Taylor, et al.) will find a way to declare every race a tossup by the end of the cycle. Except Georgia. That race should never be considered a tossup because it's just not there yet.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 06:12:10 PM »

Good news. Cook isn't necessarily a great prediction service (with the notable exception of Dave Wasserman) but it is a good indicator of conventional wisdom. Confidence in a campaign can often create a virtuous cycle, particularly with regards to fundraising.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 06:15:18 PM »

No, it’s not a Tossup, not with an incumbent of this caliber running for reelection. This might be difficult for outsiders to comprehend, but Montanans of all ideological and demographic stripes are united in their belief that now more than ever Washington needs a soothing, compassionate, bipartisan, optimistic voice representing Montana values in Congress, and our own Senator Steven David Daines (Republican-incumbent, he’s the incumbent) provides exactly that by delivering for Montanans in every part of the Treasure State. The disparity in misleading media coverage during this unprecedented crisis is not going to distract our attention away from the valuable federal relief funds championed by Senator Daines, most recently through his bipartisan Recharge and Empower Local Innovation and Entrepreneurs Fund for Main Street Act, which I discussed at great length with Mike and Chad on our last motorcycle trip. When I told them that Senator Daines said on C-SPAN that “This bipartisan legislation is about taking the decision-making powers out of the hands of Washington, D.C., and putting it in the hands of our local communities who know their own needs best,” we all immediately began to tear up and brim with pride, joy, and unwavering dedication in our support for Senator Daines' reelection bid. We tried to behold the natural wonders, but they just paled in comparison to Senator Daines' tireless work on behalf of us... ya know, us ordinary folks. I guess this must be the magic they say our Senators are so good at conjuring up. I certainly know that I won’t live to see the day when either of them is defeated.

(Chef's Kiss)
PAK Man

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 08:27:19 PM »

Cook's ratings always baffle me. Half the time his ratings don't make any sense. I consider it Lean R, as there's really no proof yet that Daines is in danger.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 10:20:54 PM »

Cook's ratings always baffle me. Half the time his ratings don't make any sense. I consider it Lean R, as there's really no proof yet that Daines is in danger.

I think they see inside polling that the rest of us don't
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »

Amazing you have the audacity to be so obnoxious when it is you presenting the absurd, completely baseless asertion.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 11:27:49 PM »

They must be referring specifically to Missoula county, as that’s the only place I could see Bullock coming close to winning.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 06:00:47 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2020, 06:12:20 AM by Charles Booker »

Ds winning AZ, CO, GA, IA, KS, ME, MT and NC cements 53 seats and Dems wont have to rely on Sinema and Manchin to get rid of filibuster that's why its important. All signs point to King joining with Ds to eliminate the filibuster. Thus DC statehood is born and since Robert's is going the way of Kennedy,  it will likely stand a certain constitutional challenge
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies