Why is Ingham county, Michigan so DEM?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:14:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Ingham county, Michigan so DEM?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Ingham county, Michigan so DEM?  (Read 912 times)
iceman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:07:05 AM »

What makes it so DEM? It is a white majority (71%) county.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 07:29:05 AM »

For starters, it's a major college county (Michigan State)

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 07:40:38 AM »

For starters, it's a major college county (Michigan State)

This, plus Lansing is a city (automatic Democratic base) and it's the state capitol (lots of government workers).
dpmapper
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 08:28:03 AM »

71% white is a lot lower than in the surrounding counties, too! 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 08:37:26 AM »

T-t-t-talking about my education.

Counties with higher % of people with college degrees=more D
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 11:44:42 PM »

Given everything about Ingham (and other areas in Michigan), the better question might be, why isn't it even more Dem.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 05:32:38 AM »

Given everything about Ingham (and other areas in Michigan), the better question might be, why isn't it even more Dem.
Lansing/East Lansing are in the NW corner of Ingham County. Given that about 40% of Ingham's population lives outside these areas, it is reasonable to think spillover from Livingston County (people from heavily Republican towns Brighton, Howell, Fowlerville moving further west) helps keep the GOP somewhat solvent in the county.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »

Wow that really clears up why WOW is more Republican than Northern Wisconsin...
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »

Michigan State University, State Capital, and Lansing is the 6th largest city in Michigan.
walleye26

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 06:57:09 PM »

WOW is moving left though, with the exception of northern Washington and southwestern Waukesha. Baldwin and Karofsky managed to actually win some precincts in Menominee Falls and New Berlin.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 08:11:36 PM »

WOW is moving left though, with the exception of northern Washington and southwestern Waukesha. Baldwin and Karofsky managed to actually win some precincts in Menominee Falls and New Berlin.

So? Get back to me when WOW is actually more Dem than northern WI instead of assuming that “muh 2016-2018 trends” are going to continue indefinitely.
walleye26

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 10:35:50 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2020, 10:43:58 PM by walleye26 »

So? Get back to me when WOW is actually more Dem than northern WI instead of assuming that “muh 2016-2018 trends” are going to continue indefinitely.
It’s already starting to happen. Ozaukee voted left of many northern WI counties in 2018 election. For the governor race, Ozaukee gave 36% to Evers, better than Langlade (30.5%), Taylor (28%), Oconto (33.3%), Marinette (35.6%), Rusk (35.8%), Shawano (34%), Clark (34.3%) Florence (29.5%) and tying in Vilas, and within 2% of Burnett and Forest.
Heck, even Waukesha at 32.6% (Walker’s home county) beats Langlade, Forest, and Taylor.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 04:50:05 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2020, 05:40:07 AM by Wazza »

It’s already starting to happen. Ozaukee voted left of many northern WI counties in 2018 election. For the governor race, Ozaukee gave 36% to Evers, better than Langlade (30.5%), Taylor (28%), Oconto (33.3%), Marinette (35.6%), Rusk (35.8%), Shawano (34%), Clark (34.3%) Florence (29.5%) and tying in Vilas, and within 2% of Burnett and Forest.
Heck, even Waukesha at 32.6% (Walker’s home county) beats Langlade, Forest, and Taylor.

Yeah, because when I said Northern WI I clearly meant McCain voting Taylor County and not the 3 Clinton counties in the north of the state and the counties bordering them most of which where peripheral lol.

You’re also missing the point of my post, which is that there are many factors that go into how a location votes. Coming into a thread and saying W votes for X because there’s Y amount of white people and Z amount of college graduates doesn’t say much (These are two very broad groups, especially the latter) and they’re far from absolute in predicting voting patterns, hence why you have places like WOW, Douglas County CO, Williams county TN, etc. which are still solid R whilst places like Deer Lodge County, the Northern Coast of Wisconsin (happy now?), the Minnesota Arrowhead, parts of Vermont, etc. supported Clinton and their respective Democratic/left-independent midterm candidates on the federal level.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 04:06:47 PM »

Similar reasons for Ann Arbor being liberal. It is a college town, mainly. However, it is the capital and has a heavy minority population in parts of Lansing and East Lansing.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »

In a post-Trump political landscape Ingham is going to become more competitive. The professional class here is small compared to Washtenaw and some of the Detroit suburbs. Lansing has been hit with deindustrialization the same way the rest of the state has. MSU attracts more rural and first-gen students than Michigan and has a student body that's less liberal than UofM. East Lansing is not attracting the same young college-educated base that similar midwestern cities like Madison, Ann Arbor, and Columbus are.

Having a massive university and the state government workforce is enough to keep this mostly-reliably D for now, but there's plenty of upside here for Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies