538 model & poll tracker thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:56:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  538 model & poll tracker thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 40
Author Topic: 538 model & poll tracker thread  (Read 57642 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: September 13, 2020, 03:34:17 PM »

346: the number of electoral votes Biden will get?

(I know Arizona going Republican is a little unlikely given the rest of the map, but maybe Biden underperforms with Hispanics.)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #601 on: September 13, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »

(I know Arizona going Republican is a little unlikely given the rest of the map, but maybe Biden underperforms with Hispanics.)

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #602 on: September 13, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »

Is he mixing him up with Nate Cohn and the NYT?

Silver/538 gave Trump like a 1 in 4 chance.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #603 on: September 13, 2020, 04:29:18 PM »

What did you think I was responding to?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #604 on: September 13, 2020, 04:30:01 PM »

What did you think I was responding to?

Oof. I should read threads more carefully.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #605 on: September 13, 2020, 05:50:40 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #606 on: September 13, 2020, 05:59:36 PM »

The only noteworthy polls today were the Fox News +5, the CBS/YouGov Minnesota +9 and Arizona +3, and the Morning Consult Wisconsin +7 (daily tracker).

The MN/WI polls are strong for Biden.  The Arizona poll is OK and a 3-point improvement from the same pollster's previous poll.  The Fox +5 just goes into the average, and national polls aren't as important as state polls anyway.  Solidifying MN/WI (and winning MI) just means that Biden has to win one of:

FL
PA
AZ (+ one of the ME/NE districts).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #607 on: September 13, 2020, 06:44:19 PM »

It's the clock ticking.  Nate posted a thread about this earlier today: https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1305145928257622016

A Fox News national poll showing Trump down 5 is one of his better results lately; keep in mind that Fox News polls hasn't had particularly good news for Trump so far this cycle. But a couple of things to keep in mind.

First, we've had very abundant polling over the past two weeks, both on the national level and also in many states. That makes any one poll less influential. If the race is tightening—or Biden's lead is expanding—the model will need to see that consistently over several polls.

Second, it's mid-September, which means the point where polls start to hone in on a more accurate result. So the mere passage of time helps Biden. This is especially so in our model since it expects the race to (slightly) tighten; so any day of non-tightening is good for Biden.

A slight complication is that we're coming out of the period where you could attribute Trump gains to a convention bounce, though we're not completely out of it yet. So if Trump has "permanently" chopped a point or so off Biden's lead (from 8/9 to 7/8) that's something for him.

Even so, Trump needs the race to tighten more quickly than that. A candidate with a 7-8 point deficit post-conventions is a heavier underdog than one with a 8-9 point deficit pre-conventions, because the reduction in uncertainty from the passage of time outweighs the small gain.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #608 on: September 13, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »

It's the clock ticking.  Nate posted a thread about this earlier today: https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1305145928257622016

A Fox News national poll showing Trump down 5 is one of his better results lately; keep in mind that Fox News polls hasn't had particularly good news for Trump so far this cycle. But a couple of things to keep in mind.

First, we've had very abundant polling over the past two weeks, both on the national level and also in many states. That makes any one poll less influential. If the race is tightening—or Biden's lead is expanding—the model will need to see that consistently over several polls.

Second, it's mid-September, which means the point where polls start to hone in on a more accurate result. So the mere passage of time helps Biden. This is especially so in our model since it expects the race to (slightly) tighten; so any day of non-tightening is good for Biden.

A slight complication is that we're coming out of the period where you could attribute Trump gains to a convention bounce, though we're not completely out of it yet. So if Trump has "permanently" chopped a point or so off Biden's lead (from 8/9 to 7/8) that's something for him.

Even so, Trump needs the race to tighten more quickly than that. A candidate with a 7-8 point deficit post-conventions is a heavier underdog than one with a 8-9 point deficit pre-conventions, because the reduction in uncertainty from the passage of time outweighs the small gain.

Trump would need the race to tighten about a point every 10 days on average to have a shot at winning. As time goes by, this seems increasingly unlikely.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #609 on: September 14, 2020, 01:43:22 AM »

So infuriating. Nate consistently had him at a 1 in 4 to 1 in 3 chance in the last month or so, and had him doing better than any other model.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #610 on: September 14, 2020, 10:49:06 AM »

I noticed in the current "cloud" figure of 100 sample elections that Biden wins >350 electoral votes about 37% of the time.  Trumps wins >350 electoral votes 1% of the time.  So many the uncertainty finally is contracting somewhat.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #611 on: September 14, 2020, 12:17:14 PM »

I noticed in the current "cloud" figure of 100 sample elections that Biden wins >350 electoral votes about 37% of the time.  Trumps wins >350 electoral votes 1% of the time.  So many the uncertainty finally is contracting somewhat.

If you create a map where Biden wins everything in their "Very likely" category (95%+ chances) and Trump wins everything else, you end up with this:

362-176 Trump. It's on the verge of plummeting to 349-189 because Virginia is RIGHT on the cutoff line of that Very Likely category.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #612 on: September 14, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »

If you create a map where Biden wins everything in their "Very likely" category (95%+ chances) and Trump wins everything else, you end up with this:

362-176 Trump. It's on the verge of plummeting to 349-189 because Virginia is RIGHT on the cutoff line of that Very Likely category.
Why is VA safer than OR?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #613 on: September 14, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »

Why is VA safer than OR?

More polls, probably.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #614 on: September 14, 2020, 01:20:48 PM »

Why is VA safer than OR?

More polls, probably.

The more polls you have, the narrower the range of outcomes is. Simillar things happen in my model where states with little to no polling have a wider range of outcomes than the states with polling.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #615 on: September 14, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »

Idk if this is just me but I feel like ever since the conventions, the majority of blue bubbles are above Biden's actual % in the tracker and most the the red bubbles are below Trumps %. It kinda seems like there tracker is more reactive to polls that show "good news" for Trump, even if they aren't the most reputable pollsters. If you take out the lines and just look at the bubbles you would think Biden would be at more like 51.5% and Trump would be 42%.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #616 on: September 14, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »

Idk if this is just me but I feel like ever since the conventions, the majority of blue bubbles are above Biden's actual % in the tracker and most the the red bubbles are below Trumps %. It kinda seems like there tracker is more reactive to polls that show "good news" for Trump, even if they aren't the most reputable pollsters. If you take out the lines and just look at the bubbles you would think Biden would be at more like 51.5% and Trump would be 42%.

It's probably due to poll weighting.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #617 on: September 14, 2020, 02:32:21 PM »

I think I found the single most implausible result from the model:

0.1% is about 300 votes.  Surely Trump wins a lot more than that just from political appointees in his own administration.  This is implying that Trump loses 97% of his existing support in DC, which was already extremely small and pretty inelastic to being with.   

(Remember this isn't trying to model a scenario where Trump drops out. The worst result the "cloud" is showing in California is 25%.)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #618 on: September 14, 2020, 02:52:00 PM »

Better quality polls are showing a closer race and once again, Silver adjusts for shy Trump voters.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #619 on: September 14, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »

Better quality polls are showing a closer race and once again, Silver adjusts for shy Trump voters.

Closer race once again? +7.0? It was +7 on Sept.1, and it's just moved at noise levels since even before then.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #620 on: September 14, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »

I have a feeling the Biden +5 Fox News poll is being given a lot of weight right now, as it is the only A-grade national poll to be released in the last four days.

I don't think Nate adjusts for "shy Trump voters", though he does adjust for house effect.
FoxNews actually has a D+1.4 house effect, so I believe it treats Biden +5 in that poll more like Biden +3.6.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #621 on: September 14, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »

Really the only high quality national polls we've gotten that show a "close" race are Fox News and Emerson.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #622 on: September 14, 2020, 03:06:15 PM »

As I said elsewhere Silver's model/aggregate has become ridiculous. For days we had polls showing Biden leads from anywhere between 8 and 12 points and yet it remained stuck at +7.5.
But an Ipsos poll from two weeks ago showing Biden +4 is released today and his lead shrinks by 0,2. I'm convinced by now that Silver is just too scared to let his model show anything radically different than the RCP average in case we have a 2016 redux.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #623 on: September 14, 2020, 04:16:26 PM »

I think I found the single most implausible result from the model:

(Trump wins 0.1% of the PV in DC.)

0.1% is about 300 votes.  Surely Trump wins a lot more than that just from political appointees in his own administration.  This is implying that Trump loses 97% of his existing support in DC, which was already extremely small and pretty inelastic to being with.   

(Remember this isn't trying to model a scenario where Trump drops out. The worst result the "cloud" is showing in California is 25%.)

It's not completely implausible.  I'll be most of those political appointees live in suburban Maryland or Virginia rather than in the District itself.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #624 on: September 15, 2020, 11:29:34 AM »

Biden's average lead in WI decreased in the poll tracker after his +10 CNN poll got added. Not sure what the deal is with that, just kind of funny.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies