538 model & poll tracker thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:07:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  538 model & poll tracker thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 40
Author Topic: 538 model & poll tracker thread  (Read 57681 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: September 24, 2020, 06:04:58 PM »

It seems at though the Survey Monkey polls were suddenly removed from the averages.

Good.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #676 on: September 24, 2020, 06:40:15 PM »

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #677 on: September 24, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »

It seems at though the Survey Monkey polls were suddenly removed from the averages.

Good.

Yep.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #678 on: September 24, 2020, 08:56:21 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the Silver truthers in this thread didn't read his book.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #679 on: September 25, 2020, 09:18:02 AM »

It’s getting a little bit creepy how stable the model is right now.  Biden has been at 77 for 7 straight days.  It seems like there should be a little movement just by random chance.  I’m surprised Nate isn’t tweeting worries about herding yet.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #680 on: September 25, 2020, 09:20:25 AM »

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #681 on: September 25, 2020, 10:15:57 AM »

Almost everyone has believed this scenario was much more likely for a long time.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=393530.msg7568190#msg7568190
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #682 on: September 25, 2020, 10:44:38 AM »

It’s getting a little bit creepy how stable the model is right now.  Biden has been at 77 for 7 straight days.  It seems like there should be a little movement just by random chance.  I’m surprised Nate isn’t tweeting worries about herding yet.

The model assumes pretty strong convention bounces that last for up to a month.  Next week could be significant as I believe that's when Trump's assumed bounce finally goes to 0.  The narrowing to Biden being only a 2:1 favorite in late August was because the model assumed a DNC polling bounce that didn't really materialize.  I have a feeling it's overweighting the RNC as well and perhaps giving Biden too much credit right now.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #683 on: September 25, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »

The model assumes pretty strong convention bounces that last for up to a month.  Next week could be significant as I believe that's when Trump's assumed bounce finally goes to 0.  The narrowing to Biden being only a 2:1 favorite in late August was because the model assumed a DNC polling bounce that didn't really materialize.  I have a feeling it's overweighting the RNC as well and perhaps giving Biden too much credit right now.

I don't think the bounces are meant to last that long, where have you seen that?  The tightening in mid-August was because Trump was getting an RNC bounce and Biden wasn't getting a DNC bounce.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #684 on: September 25, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »

Silver has also said that the time becomes an increasing major component after Labor Day. So Biden being above or near 50% in most of the major swing states and up ~7 nationally, it gets harder for Trump to make a comeback.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #685 on: September 25, 2020, 02:56:57 PM »

I don't think the bounces are meant to last that long, where have you seen that?  The tightening in mid-August was because Trump was getting an RNC bounce and Biden wasn't getting a DNC bounce.

It does seem like the model is still adjusting all of Trump's polling averages down by about a half point to compensate for assumed residual convention bounce.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #686 on: September 25, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »

Today we had polls showing Biden ahead by 10, 9, and 8 points, and the needle remained stuck at 7.1. I guess Silver's model doesn't consider them as high quality as HarrisX and Rasmussen.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #687 on: September 25, 2020, 06:25:57 PM »

Today we had polls showing Biden ahead by 10, 9, and 8 points, and the needle remained stuck at 7.1. I guess Silver's model doesn't consider them as high quality as HarrisX and Rasmussen.

Today's USC Dornsife poll replaced yesterday's. +9.5 to +10, a half point change on a B/C rated pollster.

Today's Redfield & Wilton Strategies poll replaced last week's. +7 to +9, a two point change on an unrated pollster.

Today's Ipsos poll replaced last week's. +9 to +8, a one point decline on a B- rated pollster.

So three new low- to mid-grade national polls showing minor or even negative changes get fed into a trendline with dozens of other polls from dozens of other pollsters. The model did exactly what you should expect it to do.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #688 on: September 26, 2020, 12:35:07 AM »

Today's USC Dornsife poll replaced yesterday's. +9.5 to +10, a half point change on a B/C rated pollster.

Today's Redfield & Wilton Strategies poll replaced last week's. +7 to +9, a two point change on an unrated pollster.

Today's Ipsos poll replaced last week's. +9 to +8, a one point decline on a B- rated pollster.

So three new low- to mid-grade national polls showing minor or even negative changes get fed into a trendline with dozens of other polls from dozens of other pollsters. The model did exactly what you should expect it to do.

In addition state polls feed more into the national poll averages than the national polls themselves do.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #689 on: September 26, 2020, 12:40:38 AM »

It does seem like the model is still adjusting all of Trump's polling averages down by about a half point to compensate for assumed residual convention bounce.

This part is true.  The amount of the adjustment depends on the amount of polls and when.  A state that had a bunch of polls in early September and only a couple in the last week or so will generally have a larger adjustment than a state with a bunch of recent polls.   As more recent polls come out the adjustment gets lessened.   

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #690 on: September 26, 2020, 02:16:04 AM »

In addition state polls feed more into the national poll averages than the national polls themselves do.

They feed the model, not the polling aggregate.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #691 on: September 26, 2020, 08:54:37 AM »

They feed the model, not the polling aggregate.

Right on the polling page it states national and state polls feed into the aggregate.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #692 on: September 26, 2020, 09:45:04 AM »

It’s getting a little bit creepy how stable the model is right now.  Biden has been at 77 for 7 straight days.  It seems like there should be a little movement just by random chance.  I’m surprised Nate isn’t tweeting worries about herding yet.

The model assumes pretty strong convention bounces that last for up to a month.  Next week could be significant as I believe that's when Trump's assumed bounce finally goes to 0.  The narrowing to Biden being only a 2:1 favorite in late August was because the model assumed a DNC polling bounce that didn't really materialize.  I have a feeling it's overweighting the RNC as well and perhaps giving Biden too much credit right now.

I don't think the bounces are meant to last that long, where have you seen that? The tightening in mid-August was because Trump was getting an RNC bounce and Biden wasn't getting a DNC bounce.

538 has written several articles on how they incorporate convention bounces into previous iterations of the model and how they expect them to last 2-3 weeks if not interrupted by another party's convention. If you look at the "nowcast" element of their model (they're not calling it that, but it exists, the adjustments made to Trump's and Biden's polling numbers seem to come from "current events" which I would assume is them attempting to measure the remainders of the convention bounces in the polls they're using.

Adjustments for the RNC bounce will disappear on a state-by-state basis, depending on how quickly state-level polls come out.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #693 on: September 26, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »

It’s getting a little bit creepy how stable the model is right now.  Biden has been at 77 for 7 straight days.  It seems like there should be a little movement just by random chance.  I’m surprised Nate isn’t tweeting worries about herding yet.

The model assumes pretty strong convention bounces that last for up to a month.  Next week could be significant as I believe that's when Trump's assumed bounce finally goes to 0.  The narrowing to Biden being only a 2:1 favorite in late August was because the model assumed a DNC polling bounce that didn't really materialize.  I have a feeling it's overweighting the RNC as well and perhaps giving Biden too much credit right now.

I don't think the bounces are meant to last that long, where have you seen that? The tightening in mid-August was because Trump was getting an RNC bounce and Biden wasn't getting a DNC bounce.

538 has written several articles on how they incorporate convention bounces into previous iterations of the model and how they expect them to last 2-3 weeks if not interrupted by another party's convention. If you look at the "nowcast" element of their model (they're not calling it that, but it exists, the adjustments made to Trump's and Biden's polling numbers seem to come from "current events" which I would assume is them attempting to measure the remainders of the convention bounces in the polls they're using.

Adjustments for the RNC bounce will disappear on a state-by-state basis, depending on how quickly state-level polls come out.

They seem to currently be given Biden 0.1-0.2% extra and deflating Trump by like 0.4-0.5% so if polling stays the same Trump should improve a little bit in the model once that rolls off. On the other hand, Trump is getting a lot from the fundamentals-projection part of the model and that should be diminishing fairly quickly by now as we approach election day. So overall if polling doesn't move Trump's chances should be going down.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #694 on: September 26, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »

Right on the polling page it states national and state polls feed into the aggregate.

It must be a mistake. The aggregate moves only with national polls. Just watch it.
OTOH, it's very clear that his model is swayed heavily by state polls.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #695 on: September 26, 2020, 01:34:40 PM »

It must be a mistake. The aggregate moves only with national polls. Just watch it.
OTOH, it's very clear that his model is swayed heavily by state polls.

This is directly from the national polling page

Polling averages are adjusted based on state and national polls, which means candidates’ averages can shift even if no new polls have been added to this page
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #696 on: September 27, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »

This is just embarrassing.

40,000 simulations or not, this shouldn't show up if you do 40,000,000 simulations.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #697 on: September 27, 2020, 03:12:06 PM »

40,000 simulations or not, this shouldn't show up if you do 40,000,000 simulations.

Titanium Tilt R Florida and "Just Not There Yet" Georgia.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #698 on: September 27, 2020, 03:24:14 PM »

Titanium Tilt R Florida and "Just Not There Yet" Georgia.
Titanium R Oregon. Fivey Fox took drugs again.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #699 on: September 27, 2020, 07:48:10 PM »

Two big changes in the 538 model today:

1) Joe Biden finally broke through 77%, and now stands at a whopping 78% chance to win.
2) His median EV performance projection, 331, has now been comfortably above the cone of uncertainty for over a sustained week for the first time. This should shrink further within the next two weeks should polling remain the same or become even more favorable to him.

Statistically speaking, those are big events that shift the probabilities even further in Joe's favor.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies