Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:15:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: Joe Biden cabinet speculation megathread  (Read 16102 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: November 01, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »

Possibly a good move. Though some safe Democratic state Senators with Democratic Governors, if qualified enough, leaving their seats wouldn't be a big deal.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #301 on: November 01, 2020, 07:51:14 PM »

Can we at least wait to see how big the Democratic Senate majority actually is before we decide whether or not to talk about outright refusing to consider Democratic Senators for the Cabinet?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #302 on: November 01, 2020, 08:01:39 PM »

I'm impressed, this is what I've long thought they should do.
Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #303 on: November 01, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »

Possibly a good move. Though some safe Democratic state Senators with Democratic Governors, if qualified enough, leaving their seats wouldn't be a big deal.

Ted Kennedy's seat was safe in 2010.. until it wasn't. Point blank there should be nothing left up to chance given how wonky special elections can go.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #304 on: November 01, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »

Ted Kennedy's seat was safe in 2010.. until it wasn't. Point blank there should be nothing left up to chance given how wonky special elections can go.

I agree, but times are also different and more partisan now.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #305 on: November 01, 2020, 09:16:33 PM »

1.Most likely this is a way to block off complaints from Warren and Sanders and their supporters:  "no current Senator is under consideration."

2.I think this should also be for House members as well. 

If a current member of Congress wants to be under consideration for a cabinet position, they should take a risk and resign their seat in time for the replacement to be elected in the current Presidential election cycle.

While temporary members are not appointed to the U.S House, the special elections are something of a distraction and they provide an opportunity for the opposition party to rally.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #306 on: November 01, 2020, 09:19:58 PM »

1.Most likely this is a way to block off complaints from Warren and Sanders and their supporters:  "no current Senator is under consideration."

If a current member of Congress wants to be under consideration for a cabinet position, they should take a risk and resign their seat in time for the replacement to be elected in the current Presidential election cycle.

While temporary members are not appointed to the U.S House, the special elections are something of a distraction and they provide an opportunity for the opposition party to rally.

You know this election cycle ends in 48 hours, right? Logistically speaking, what you're suggesting is literally impossible.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #307 on: November 02, 2020, 10:15:49 AM »

You know this election cycle ends in 48 hours, right? Logistically speaking, what you're suggesting is literally impossible.

I was half asleep when I wrote that. I meant they should have taken a risk and resigned their seat. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #308 on: November 02, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »

Feinstein would actually be a smart move for something, although then you piss of all the progressives so a equal ban might just make sense.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #309 on: November 02, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »

This is good because we can't afford even a moderate Republican occupying a safe D senate senate seat for any length of time.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #310 on: November 02, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »

One of the best ideas that anyone has had all cycle. We need every single Democratic senator present for every single day of the 117th Congress so that we can pass as much legislation and confirm as many nominees as possible before the 2022 mid-terms.

Sanders and Warren (and Coons, Klobuchar, Duckworth, etc.) can still join the Cabinet...after the mid-terms (and assuming that a vacancy wouldn't flip Senate control).
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #311 on: November 03, 2020, 09:18:32 AM »

Actually one smart move would be to appoint Dianne Feinstein as ambassador to Japan (often a cushy semi-retirement for old white politicians) to get her out of the Senate and allow Newsome to appoint someone younger and more competent.
GOP732
Rookie

« Reply #312 on: November 03, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »

I wonder why Lisa Blunt Rochester isn't mentioned more for Labor? She was DE Secretary of Labor and would be a diverse pick. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »

So looking at the senate makeup, regardless of how GA turns out, I think it's fair to say Susan Rice is off the table as SoS. I don't think she would be confirmed. I think Biden will put her back in the old job of Natl Sec Adviser, where he doesn't need senate approval. My bet would be on Tony Blinken or Bill Burns as SoS.

Hope Doug Jones will be AG. I could actually see him getting a decent share of GOP senators once up for confirmation.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2020, 01:11:47 PM »

I wonder why Lisa Blunt Rochester isn't mentioned more for Labor? She was DE Secretary of Labor and would be a diverse pick. 

She's going for senate
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #315 on: November 06, 2020, 01:14:28 PM »

I believe most recent Presidents have had a member of the other party serve in cabinet.

I would like to see Biden put a Republican in his cabinet.

This would as well be a good gesture by Biden in the spirit of bringing the nation together.

Which Republican would be good for the Biden cabinet and which office would this person hold?

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #316 on: November 06, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »

So looking at the senate makeup, regardless of how GA turns out, I think it's fair to say Susan Rice is off the table as SoS. I don't think she would be confirmed. I think Biden will put her back in the old job of Natl Sec Adviser, where he doesn't need senate approval. My bet would be on Tony Blinken or Bill Burns as SoS.

Hope Doug Jones will be AG. I could actually see him getting a decent share of GOP senators once up for confirmation.

Just name Susan Rice acting SoS Tongue
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #317 on: November 06, 2020, 01:45:43 PM »

She's going for senate

Yeah, she's definitely Carney's appointee if Biden calls up Coons (though that's rather unlikely now, given that I don't think they're gonna do sh*t to f**k with the Senate vis-a-vis numbers or special elections).
Lognog
United States

« Reply #318 on: November 06, 2020, 05:38:39 PM »

She's going for senate

Yeah, she's definitely Carney's appointee if Biden calls up Coons (though that's rather unlikely now, given that I don't think they're gonna do sh*t to f**k with the Senate vis-a-vis numbers or special elections).

she's popular, although yes, its risky
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #319 on: November 06, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »

I bet Keisha Lance Bottoms is in the mix for HUD, Transportation or maybe even DHS, too

I like the HUD route - build her up into Biden's version of Julian Castro.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #320 on: November 06, 2020, 06:20:28 PM »

She's going for senate

While I get that sentiment, Coons has to be the least risky Senator to appoint, no?

Carney would appoint Rochester or whomever swiftly, and hold the special in 2022. It's not like Mike Castle will run, and the GOP bench in Delaware is pretty pathetical right now.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #321 on: November 06, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »

I believe most recent Presidents have had a member of the other party serve in cabinet.

I would like to see Biden put a Republican in his cabinet.

This would as well be a good gesture by Biden in the spirit of bringing the nation together.

Which Republican would be good for the Biden cabinet and which office would this person hold?

Someone who's senate seat the Dems would have a good shot at, to swing the senate in Dems favour.

Unfortunately Susan Collins is probably the only option, and doubt she would take it
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: November 06, 2020, 07:43:50 PM »

She's going for senate

While I get that sentiment, Coons has to be the least risky Senator to appoint, no?

Carney would appoint Rochester or whomever swiftly, and hold the special in 2022. It's not like Mike Castle will run, and the GOP bench in Delaware is pretty pathetical right now.

"Least risky" is still risky, & it's the bolded sentiment that produces the Scott Browns & Doug Joneses of Senate history.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies