Can a presidential nominee be removed from the party's ballot without their consent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:32:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Can a presidential nominee be removed from the party's ballot without their consent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can a presidential nominee be removed from the party's ballot without their consent?  (Read 380 times)
zachs2

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »

What I'm imagining is a scenario where a person is nominated by a party then goes completely off the rails after that. Saying things that are totally against the party platform, running a historically inept campaign, basically just deliberately trying to sabotage the party's chances. Obviously a person will lose a party's nomination if they die or voluntarily give it up, but neither of those is the case here. So can the DNC/RNC call a special meeting to remove this candidate or are they stuck with them?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:05:21 PM »

I can think of two precedents whe the party national committee replaced a vice presidential nominee. In 1908 when VP Sherman died in office and the RNC named Nicholas Murray Butler to replace him on the ticket (but not on the ballot, since it was too late in the game), and in 1972, when the DNC voted to put Sargent Shriver in place of Eagleton. Granted, the first case was death and I believe Eagleton wasn't technically "forced out", but had to resign (not that he had much of a room).

I imagine it would be possible for the party national committee to do this, either for presidential or vice presidential nominee, although I'm not sure whether it would be in conflict with ballot laws in some states.   
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 12:08:05 PM »

The parties don't currently have any mechanism through which they could force one of their presidential &/or vice presidential nominees to leave the race, but they do have procedures in their official rules outlining their options in the event that their nominees die or voluntarily withdraw.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies