Federal Reserve Might Eventually Have to Start Purchasing Stocks (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:14:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Federal Reserve Might Eventually Have to Start Purchasing Stocks (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Federal Reserve Might Eventually Have to Start Purchasing Stocks  (Read 2293 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: August 12, 2020, 12:14:38 AM »

Takeovers destroy value and reduce competition.

I'll grant that takeovers often lead to siphoning off value, but destroying value?

As for competition, the Fed is not there to be a substitute for the anti-trust division of the Justice Department.

So even if I accepted the truth of what you think takeovers do, I don't see where it's any concern of the Fed.

The issue is that the takeover results in the acquired company being loaded up with debt to fund the takeover. Interest payments crowd out spending for things like R&D and maintenance, employee retention becomes harder as wages are frozen and benefits are cut.

If you look at a lot of the retail failures in recent years, there was actually not that much "wrong" with the companies' underlying business models. The problem was that they couldn't continue operating under a permanent mountain of debt that wasn't actually being used to grow the business or make it more productive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies