Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:47:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons  (Read 2519 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 26, 2020, 03:52:02 PM »

The complaining about statues being destroyed is really silly. The artists who made them were paid. Statues don't teach history. This is an effective way of keeping the media's attention, and unlike the destruction of businesses, it doesn't ruin anyone's livelihood.

Would I prefer the statues not be destroyed? Sure. But the way people are reacting to this, it's like the human being represented was murdered rather than an artistic rendering of them being removed. This is the cultural equivalent of crying about some flowers being trampled.

C'mon, if white nationalists were vandalizing statues of abolitionists and AIDS memorials no one would be brushing this off.

Random destruction like this is just stupid and accomplishes nothing.

Agreed on both points, fwiw.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 03:42:12 PM »

NYT op ed finally comes for George Washington, lol ... matter of time, I guess.

It's the author of a single op-ed article, not the times editorial board itself.

If they can run an article by Tom Cotton calling for the federal military to be deployed to cities for cracking down on protesters, surely we can survive some guy saying Washington isn't worth having monuments too.

FTR, I oppose both positions. But consider me funny funny if I'm admittedly somewhat more concerned about the one that has the overt support of the president and his political allies versus largely a coalition of Twitter nobodys and mobs who are one missed bus ticket away from dissipating. Especially when that former position will, you know, actually kill people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 12:36:46 PM »

Pretty massive difference between a 1,500 year old Buddha statue and a 50 year old carving. Sandblast and replace. Only a matter of time before it's gone.

Not to mention the principles involved. Whether one respects Buddhism or not I can high can I do, FDR, it's values are objectively diametrically better van a monument to treason and white supremacy.

The fact that is, well, bigger, and took more time and labor to construct than the - - God I love Ray goldfields description- - racist garden gnomes planted elsewhere by the daughters of the Confederacy, really doesn't earn it much in the way of a pedigree.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »

OMG

Frederick Douglass statue in New York vandalized on anniversary weekend of 'What to the Slave is the Fourth of July' speech

On the same weekend in which famed abolitionist Frederick Douglass 168 years ago delivered one of his most historically resonant speeches, a statue of Douglass was toppled from its base and left near the Genesee River gorge.

Located in Maplewood Park, the statue "had been placed over the fence to the gorge and was leaning against the fence" on the river side, according to a statement from Rochester police. The statue was left about 50 feet from its pedestal.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/07/05/frederick-douglass-statue-rochester-new-york-vandalized/5381093002/

Something something systemic oppression.

I'm not ruling out that these were complete morons from the antifa clown Brigade. However, considering this was apparently done in the dead of night or with no apparent suspects are witnesses at this time, I guess there are better than even odds that this was some Act of racist thugs.

Or just one believe only the extreme far left has a monopoly on desecrating monuments and statues?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies