IA (Selzer)- Greenfield +3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:31:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Senate & House Election Polls
  IA (Selzer)- Greenfield +3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: IA (Selzer)- Greenfield +3  (Read 3971 times)
Yoda
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2020, 07:24:59 PM »

Take a bow, PPP.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »

I’ll want to see their presidential numbers to see how her numbers compare to Trump’s, but even given the D bias in IA polls, it’s hard not to see this poll (which tends to be more accurate) as terrible for Ernst. Obviously her numbers could improve between now and November, but I never bought her being a great candidate or “the next Grassley.” She basically got very lucky in 2014 to run against a terrible opponent in a great year for her party in a state that’s trending Republican. If I had to guess, I think the R trend in IA saves her and she wins narrowly, but a blue wave realistically could knock her out, especially if she’s underperforming Trump. Back from Likely R to Lean R for now.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2020, 08:00:11 PM »

If there's one poll to believe in Iowa, it's Ann Selzer's. It also corroborates a number of other polls. There's something going on in this race.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2020, 08:00:25 PM »

Lean R->Tilt R.

Also, LOL if it turns out Ernst is underperforming Trump when the Presidential numbers come out.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2020, 08:08:19 PM »

Joni Ernst has looked like this cycle's Kay Hagan for some time. I'm not surprised.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2020, 08:12:03 PM »

And from the gold standard of Iowa polling, too!

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2020, 09:16:17 PM »

We should wait until the OANN/Gravis poll comes out.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2020, 09:21:06 PM »

Oof the 2026 map will be terrible for us.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 09:38:28 PM »

Now, where are the people who said this was likely R bodering safe R due to Ernst being a Strong IncumbentTM?

I'm willing to argue it was at the beginning of the cycle, but Ernst is blowing this race, and if Republicans are actually losing the NPV by 12 or 13 in November, I'd expect this seat to be hotly contested. Also Iowa is definitely a state that would wildly swing to the Democrats in a landslide, given its elasticity. It's kind of baffling to me how she's suddenly collapsed, but I guess national Democrats were on to something when they said they saw opportunity in this seat. Anyways, my guess is Ernst would win by 1 or 2 at the end of the day, but this race is now clearly a tossup, which is terrible news for Senate Republicans' hopes of holding the chamber (they need to win this seat and by a somewhat sizable margin to have any hopes of keeping the majority, especially given the partisan leans and demographics of the other battlegrounds (such as NC, GA, and AZ)).
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 10:11:47 PM »

Yikes, RIP GOP Senate Majority if this holds up
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2020, 10:35:28 PM »

This election would basically result in a 1980-style Democratic blowout if it were held today, and I don’t think anyone ever denied that a seat like this could/would become competitive in an environment this favorable to Democrats. If you’re inclined to believe that Republicans can close the gap at least slightly before election day (i.e., a result closer to a 1992-type defeat rather than 1980), they can definitely still hold the seat, but literally no one is arguing that this isn’t bad news for Ernst. Also, broken clock and all, but this is a state where polling has underestimated Republican strength in recent elections, including Selzer's final IA-GOV 2018 poll which had Hubbell ahead by 2.

Needless to say, even a narrow Republican hold/close race in IA would point to a Democratic wave election, and the idea that Ernst is far more vulnerable than "stronger incumbents" like Perdue, Daines, or Cornyn is laughable.

We really need an AL-SEN poll, btw. I don’t buy that Jones is DOA, especially in this environment.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2020, 10:50:25 PM »

Why?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2020, 10:53:31 PM »

This election would basically result in a 1980-style Democratic blowout if it were held today, and I don’t think anyone ever denied that a seat like this could/would become competitive in an environment this favorable to Democrats. If you’re inclined to believe that Republicans can close the gap at least slightly before election day (i.e., a result closer to a 1992-type defeat rather than 1980), they can definitely still hold the seat, but literally no one is arguing that this isn’t bad news for Ernst. Also, broken clock and all, but this is a state where polling has underestimated Republican strength in recent elections, including Selzer's final IA-GOV 2018 poll which had Hubbell ahead by 2.

Needless to say, even a narrow Republican hold/close race in IA would point to a Democratic wave election, and the idea that Ernst is far more vulnerable than "stronger incumbents" like Perdue, Daines, or Cornyn is laughable.

We really need an AL-SEN poll, btw. I don’t buy that Jones is DOA, especially in this environment.

Oh c'mon, it's Alabama
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2020, 10:55:09 PM »

So the unstoppable titan Ernst isn't so unstoppable after all.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2020, 10:55:40 PM »

Because he's a Republican hack, who would insist that they would pick up 12 Senate seats in if the NPV was like D+18. Just put him on ignore, I did it a while back, and it improved my forum experience (also please don't respond to him, because then he responds to everyone who responds to him, and then derails the thread).
clever but short
andy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2020, 11:05:02 PM »

I'm kicking myself that I can't say "I told you so" because I kept my hunch about this race to myself.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2020, 11:12:18 PM »

If Ernst does end up loosing, how many seats would Dems get?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2020, 11:20:22 PM »

My guess is that CO, AZ, NC have fallen for sure, both GA seats, MT and ME also probably fell, and one of KS/TX also went D at that point.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2020, 11:22:20 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2020, 11:28:20 PM by lfromnj »

If there's one poll to believe in Iowa, it's Ann Selzer's. It also corroborates a number of other polls. There's something going on in this race.

FWIW Selzer is still the best poll in Iowa as shown by the 2016 presidential numbers  although the 2018 numbers were a moderate bit off(not majorly just Hubbel +2 instead of Reynolds +3)

I will go with PTU for RN.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2020, 11:28:39 PM »

At least 53. AL, CO, AZ, NC, ME, MT and GA regular would flip before this.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2020, 12:40:58 AM »

At least the impending Depression bread lines will provide plenty of bread bags.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2020, 01:09:52 AM »

Maybe Hillary was just a really bad fit for Iowa.  Maybe it's not really a deep red state so Theresa Greenfield has a real chance.  It's a top race anyway so no one can count Theresa out.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2020, 02:39:24 AM »

If Greenfield is up by 3, then the presidential race is ca. Biden+1 or a tie.

Biden is probably doing a few points worse than her.

IA = tossup.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2020, 06:13:15 AM »

Maybe Hillary was just a really bad fit for Iowa.  Maybe it's not really a deep red state so Theresa Greenfield has a real chance.  It's a top race anyway so no one can count Theresa out.

Hilary was a bad fit, for IA, so were Warren and Harris. Buttigieg and Bernie won IA for nomination

But Chuck Grassley ran against Patty Judge as his opponent. That's why Hilary lost so badly in 2016
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2020, 12:20:49 PM »

Oof the 2026 map will be terrible for us.

How? Democrats have a higher chance of defending an incumbent Greenfield than beating an entrenched Ernst?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies