opinion of CHAZ (the Seattle "occupied" zone)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:59:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  opinion of CHAZ (the Seattle "occupied" zone)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: how do you feel about CHAZ? how do you think it will end?
I approve and think they're doing a good job

I approve, but I don't like how it's being run

I approve, and I'm not sure how I feel about how it's being run yet

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet

I understand why they did it, but I do not approve.  We ain't there yet.

I disapprove

I strongly disapprove

it will end when the people inside grow bored and go home

it will end when the local police take it back

it will end when local citizens take it back

it will end when the state calls in the National Guard

it will end when the feds call in the military or other federal agency

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: opinion of CHAZ (the Seattle "occupied" zone)  (Read 4175 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 11:44:20 AM »

I will say this - it isn't quite as bad as it was made out to be, but I still downright oppose the idea that the collective mob can expropriate private property without the sanction of the state.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 11:47:13 AM »

I will say this - it isn't quite as bad as it was made out to be, but I still downright oppose the idea that the collective mob can expropriate private property without the sanction of the state.

https://www.npr.org/transcripts/876714162

SALVADOR SAHAGUN: Black Lives Matter really saved our business, though. It's just kind of an amazing thing 'cause we were really struggling with the corona recession.

ALLAM: Salvador Sahagun is the manager of a Mexican restaurant on the edge of the CHAZ. He says the business from protesters has been a godsend. Sahagun voted for Trump in 2016 and might do so again in November. Still, he says, the president is way off-base when it comes to what's happening here.

Trump/Chaz voter .
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 11:54:25 AM »

SALVADOR SAHAGUN: Black Lives Matter really saved our business, though. It's just kind of an amazing thing 'cause we were really struggling with the corona recession.

ALLAM: Salvador Sahagun is the manager of a Mexican restaurant on the edge of the CHAZ. He says the business from protesters has been a godsend. Sahagun voted for Trump in 2016 and might do so again in November. Still, he says, the president is way off-base when it comes to what's happening here.

Trump/Chaz voter .
That's actually pretty interesting. If Chaz was going to turn into some alt-left Waco style sh!t show, it'd have happened a week ago by now. So long as residents and the likes of Mr. Sahagun aren't being bullied, harassed, or intimidated, than maybe....maybe something cool could come from this.

Honestly, I don't see why the modern American left doesn't embrace a more pastoral vision of communal living. Hippies did that throughout the country in the sixties. You work in gardens growing fruits, vegetables, and cannabis together, you take care of one another, drop acid and listen to some groovy psychedelic rock, free love, etc. Go find some rural property in Oregon or something and set it up. I'd encourage that, actually.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »

Trump/Chaz voter .
That's actually pretty interesting. If Chaz was going to turn into some alt-left Waco style sh!t show, it'd have happened a week ago by now. So long as residents and the likes of Mr. Sahagun aren't being bullied, harassed, or intimidated, than maybe....maybe something cool could come from this.

Honestly, I don't see why the modern American left doesn't embrace a more pastoral vision of communal living. Hippies did that throughout the country in the sixties. You work in gardens growing fruits, vegetables, and cannabis together, you take care of one another, drop acid and listen to some groovy psychedelic rock, free love, etc. Go find some rural property in Oregon or something and set it up. I'd encourage that, actually.

Which is all well and good until it's time to pay the bills. Subsistence farming ain't all that bucolic in reality. If it were easy, we'd all be doobieing it. There are communes that made it, but the people there are the exceptions that prove the rule.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96711&page=1 (2006 story)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 01:09:02 PM »

Trump/Chaz voter .

They tried that and it failed and was widely discredited by the early late 1800s.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2020, 11:10:28 AM »

Disapprove. Meme left-anarchy that should be taken neither literally nor seriously.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »

Trump/Chaz voter .

If you look at the fuel behind modern liberalism, it'd be pretty easy to see why this isn't that popular a move.
mardigrappa
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2020, 06:11:06 AM »

People are going to make it political because picking on your average college yuppies/antifa narrative always runs well with conservative media outlets. People wouldn't be seriously talking about this if people weren't sensitive [social] media snowflakes. You don't feel more empowered or stick it to the libs by speaking out & compelling action about an utterly trite & non-sensical topic like CHAZ. But I digress.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2020, 02:46:21 PM »

People are going to make it political because picking on your average college yuppies/antifa narrative always runs well with conservative media outlets. People wouldn't be seriously talking about this if people weren't sensitive [social] media snowflakes. You don't feel more empowered or stick it to the libs by speaking out & compelling action about an utterly trite & non-sensical topic like CHAZ. But I digress.
one more time in English
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »

one more time in English
Rude, it’s actually quite understandable of what point the poster is trying to make.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2020, 11:16:50 PM »

The Roman Empire should auth-left. The whole state was built on a massive welfare system, comprehensive public utilities, and an organized process for the immigration and assimilation of foreigners.

Did the Romans condemn the Grand Mufti?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2020, 02:45:20 AM »

One dead, one wounded in a shooting inside CHAZ. Police are prevented from entering by an "angry mob" and the wounded person is taken to the hospital.

Is this left-libertarian praxis?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2020, 09:48:04 AM »

as is often the case, the last few paragraphs are informative
He appealed for those responsible to give themselves up to police, suggesting protesters would take a harder line: "Turn yourself in, because if you don't ... it's better that the police get hold of you than they do."

Another deplored the impact on the protest movement, saying, "That shooting last night is going to take away from the message."
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2020, 09:20:49 AM »

More or less neutral / don't care.

I honestly don't see that much of a point to it. On the other hand, it doesn't offend or trigger me in the same amount other people seem to be offended or triggered by it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »

Residents and businesses sue Seattle over protest zone
Quote from: CNN
Residents and businesses in a Seattle neighborhood filed a class-action lawsuit Wednesday against the city for "extensive harm" suffered from the Capitol Hill Organized Protest, or CHOP.

The plaintiffs "support protesters' right to bring issues such as systemic racism and police brutality," but the occupation has caused financial hardship and disrupted daily life, said Calfo Eakes LLP, the law firm representing the group, in a statement.
Four shootings in the area have erupted since Saturday, leaving one person dead.

"For more than two weeks, and with the full knowledge and participation of the City, our clients' neighborhood and properties have been blocked, barricaded, occupied, and vandalized," the attorneys' statement reads.
are you changing your mind to the correct side, or you going to double down on supporting/making excuses for these people?

They've got a good case, what with Seattle's full support of the zone.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2020, 08:53:15 PM »

Residents and businesses sue Seattle over protest zone
Quote from: CNN
Residents and businesses in a Seattle neighborhood filed a class-action lawsuit Wednesday against the city for "extensive harm" suffered from the Capitol Hill Organized Protest, or CHOP.

The plaintiffs "support protesters' right to bring issues such as systemic racism and police brutality," but the occupation has caused financial hardship and disrupted daily life, said Calfo Eakes LLP, the law firm representing the group, in a statement.
Four shootings in the area have erupted since Saturday, leaving one person dead.

"For more than two weeks, and with the full knowledge and participation of the City, our clients' neighborhood and properties have been blocked, barricaded, occupied, and vandalized," the attorneys' statement reads.
are you changing your mind to the correct side, or you going to double down on supporting/making excuses for these people?

They've got a good case, what with Seattle's full support of the zone.

All businesses that didn't receive police protection for their property this year in Seattle should not have to pay taxes.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 10:55:32 AM »

I watched a documentary recently on YouTube called

Seattle is Dying

https://youtu.be/bpAi70WWBlw

Holy s$%t. I had no idea that the USA was this bad.

And this city was in distress before COVID-19, BLM Protests and CHAZ.

It is fast becoming Venezuela.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 12:48:00 PM »

A lot of shootings still happening in the copless free state.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 01:17:13 PM »

A lot of shootings still happening in the copless free state.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 02:17:00 PM »

Approve 100%. The people must take back their homes away from a system only in place to oppress them, and CHAZ, while it will not grow , is an important first step in taking the streets to the people and away from the police. The mutual aide networks and strategies now learned since this and Occupy in 2011 will be instrumental in the future.

I think CHAZ will get abandoned after things die down, but the spirit of it will live on even as the structure gets demolished.
do you still 100% approve?  Do you now think the people should take back their homes?  Except now it's from the "protesters".  Are these still the people you want "taking the streets from the police"?  Guess they really didn't learn sh**t from Occupy, since they made the same stupid mistakes.  I don't know if the spirit will live on, and I doubt the hard left will learn anything (do they ever?), but the rest of us certainly learned or relearned things from it. 

Thank you Seattle mayor for giving the children enough rope to hang themselves.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »

Strongly disapprove.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 09:00:04 PM »

Meh. Point made, but the party's over.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 09:27:42 PM »

are you talking to us gloating, or the failed block party with free medical tent and a garden in buckets?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »

This is really despicable. Turns out that people get shot for no reason even in the anarcho-leftist utopia.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »

The first page of this thread has not aged well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies