Another Kennedy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:00:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Another Kennedy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another Kennedy  (Read 1484 times)
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:15:27 AM »

Richard

Richard Daley sat in his office and stared out the window, looking out upon his city. In just a few days, Chicago would once again be host to the Democratic National Convention. But this time, it was different. This time, chaos was coming to Chicago.

Everything so far had been a mess. McCarthy's challenge to Johnson had been a surprise, Johnson's withdrawal even moreso. Bobby Kennedy's tragic assassination made everything more chaotic. Now, on the eve of the convention, Daley had no idea what would happen. McCarthy had won the most primaries, but he was a joke of a candidate. Bobby's delegates were starting to head to George McGovern but he was no better of a candidate than McCarthy. Humphrey hadn't competed in any primaries, but of the remaining candidates, he looked the most likely to be the nominee. That wasn't necessarily a good thing.

The establishment backed Humphrey, but Daley wasn't entirely sure Humphrey could win. The opposition to the war in Vietnam was ongoing, and the Johnson administration was blamed for it. The antiwar movement may not back Humphrey with his ties to Johnson, and Nixon was bound to go after the Democrats for the war. Unless something changed, Vietnam was going to break the Democratic Party. The Democrats needed someone else to be the nominee.

At that moment, a thought popped into his head. Maybe he'll do it, Daley thought. He spun around and grabbed the phone on the desk. He punched the buttons and waited for an aide to answer. "Yes?" the aide said into the phone.

"Call Senator Kennedy's office," said Daley. "I need to meet with him as soon as possible."
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »

Color me interested.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »

John

"A draft," said Pierre Salinger. "Are you serious?"

"I am," replied Mayor Daley. "I want Senator Kennedy to tell the convention that he's open to being drafted as the presidential nominee."

John Culver just sat and watched the exchange go on. A former aide to Ted Kennedy before being elected to Congress, the senator had asked him to sit in. The meeting was small-Daley, Ted, his wife Joan, John, and two former aides to JFK, Pierre Salinger and Arthur Schlesinger.

"Why would I do that?" asked Kennedy. "I've only been in Congress for a few years, plus with Bobby gone, I have to think about the impact a run will have on the family."

"Senator," Daley began, "the divisions in the party are getting worse with each passing day. Humphrey and McCarthy are the last two standing, assuming McGovern doesn't throw his hat into the ring, and none of them can win. The party needs to be united, and the party will only unite behind a Kennedy. The party needs you."

The meeting went on for another hour before Daley left. Ted and Joan retreated to another room to speak privately, leaving Culver, Salinger, and Schlesinger alone. The three of them sat in silence before Salinger spoke up. "He should do it. Tell the convention he's open. Tell them that Jack and Bobby's dreams will live on." Salinger had been Bobby's campaign manager.

The three of them debated whether or not the senator would enter until the Kennedys came back. "John," said Ted.

"Yeah, Ted?"

"Send a letter to the convention," said Ted. "Tell them I'll agree to a draft."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »

Hubert

Hubert Humphrey could only sit and watch as his presidential aspirations went down in flames. The incumbent Vice President, Senator from Minnesota, and liberal icon had entered with high hopes, but it was not to be.

Humphrey was no stranger to presidential politics, having run in 1960 and having been a favorite son in 1952. But this time, he had thought, was different. Having been a punching bag for Johnson during his four years as Vice President, he was sure he would get the nomination. With McCarthy and McGovern the only other candidates standing, he knew the nomination would be his.

Then Ted Kennedy changed everything.

Just before the convention started, word spread that Ted Kennedy would be willing to be drafted as the presidential nominee. The news that the last Kennedy son appeared to only be a dream, but then Michael DiSalle officially put Ted Kennedy's name into consideration, and everything changed. Robert Kennedy's delegates quickly raced into his arms. McGovern ended his candidacy and endorsed Teddy. There were even rumors that McCarthy might end his own bid and support Kennedy.

One of his advisors, Bill Connell, came into the room. "What do we do now?" he asked.

"We wait," said Humphrey. "And see what happens next." "But deep down, he knew what was going to happen.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 09:49:30 AM »

Great work so far!
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 10:11:59 AM »

Ted

The second ballot was well under way, but Ted wasn't paying any attention to it. He knew he would drive himself crazy if he watched it obsessively. He had it on the television, but instead, he sat down next to a table reading.

These last few months had been a whirlwind. Ted was sure that Bobby would be the nominee, then the tragic events of June 5 changed everything. Ted withdrew from the election for a while, focusing his energies into caring for his family. Then Daley approached with the offer and flipped everything on its head.

For the first since '52, the Democrats had a deadlocked convention. The first ballot was close between him and Humphrey. Humphrey was in the lead, but not by much. McCarthy was in a distant third. Afterwards, he delivered a speech that, while never outright saying it, was an end to his campaign. Only two candidates remained standing. After the first ballot, the Kennedyites were unleashed on the convention, trying to persuade delegates to back the senator, and trying to persuade the favorite sons to throw their support to Kennedy.

Joan came back into the room and sat down on the chair across him. "Even if you don't get it this time, you have many more opportunities to run in the future," she said. Just then, Pierre Salinger burst into the room and raced for the TV.

"What's going on?" asked Ted. Salinger didn't answer. Instead, he turned the volume up. The voice of the secretary became clearer to everyone in the room.

"...1,652 votes for Senator Edward Kennedy. 901 votes for Vice President Hubert Humphrey. 38 votes for Senator Eugene McCarthy. 16 votes for Senator George McGovern. Ladies and gentlemen, Senator Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts is our nominee for President of the United States!"

Democratic National Convention-1st Ballot

Vice President Hubert Humphrey (MN): 1,186 votes
Senator Ted Kennedy (MA): 1,091 votes
Senator Eugene McCarthy (MN): 330 votes

Democratic National Convention-2nd Ballot

Senator Ted Kennedy (MA): 1,652 votes
Vice President Hubert Humphrey (MN): 901 votes
Senator Eugene McCarthy (MN): 38 votes
Senator George McGovern (SD): 16 votes
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 05:37:21 PM »

Arthur

"He can't pick Jackson, he's too hawkish. We're gonna piss off the left if we do that!" one aide said.

"The senator's already got the left on his side. After what happened at the convention, he needs an establishment pick." another aide responded.

"The Kennedys are the establishment!" the first aide retorted.

Arthur Schlesinger watched as the two men went back and forth. Unlike the last meeting, this one was more populated. Once Ted Kennedy won the nomination, the issue then turned to his vice presidential selection.

The group sat around a large table. Two blackboards faced the table, both with potential vice presidential selections. On one were current and former members of Congress-Jackson, Bayh, Hartke, McGovern, Hart, Proxmire, Mondale, Yarborough, Harris, Long, Gore, Smathers, Symington, Clark, Tydings, Udall, Cannon, Church, Mansfield. On the other were current and former governors-Brown, Connally, Sanford, Moore, Hughes (both Richard and Harold), Clement, Meyner, Kerner, Carvel, Hearnes. Any one of them could be selected for the number two spot.

Kennedy finally spoke up to end the conversation. "In another cycle, Jackson would be a good choice. But not this year. Take him off the list." With that, a line was drawn through Jackson's name. They went through the names one by one, deciding who should stay and who should be crossed out. Most were crossed out for various reasons-Mondale and Proxmire for not providing much ideological balance, Clark because they would lose his seat to the Republicans, and on and on, until they were left with two: Hart and Moore.

Schlesinger wasn't surprised these were the last two standing. Both were veterans from World War II. Both were from crucial states, Hart from Michigan and Moore from North Carolina. Both would be key to a Kennedy victory.

"Senator, I think both are fine choices. I think both will make excellent selections as running mates, and I think both will be good vice presidents." Schlesigner said.

Kennedy leaned back in his chair for a while as he thought. Finally, he sat back up and looked around the table. "We'll go to Moore first. If he doesn't want the number two spot, we'll go to Hart."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 09:17:46 AM »

Dan

Governor Dan Moore of North Carolina sat and listened as Ted Kennedy made his pitch. When one of the senator's aides had called him and said that the senator wanted to meet with him, he had an inkling of an idea as to why. Now he knew: Ted Kennedy was asking him to be the vice presidential nominee.

"Dan, with your help, I know we can beat Nixon and Wallace and make sure the work done the last four years isn't done away with. But I need an answer." With that, Kennedy finished his pitch, and sat back, waiting for a response.

Moore stood up and walked over to the window. There was a lot to consider here. Moore was term-limited as governor, and would be leaving office in a few months. Being on the national ticket was one of the few options he had left. Even if they didn't win, the election would increase his national profile, opening up more possibilites in the future, maybe even a future presidential bid.

Moore turned around, looked at Kennedy, and stuck out his hand. Kennedy stood up and shook it. "Senator, I would be honored to be your running mate."

The Democratic Ticket for the 1968 Presidential Election

Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA)/Governor Dan Moore (D-NC)
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »

Richard

The liberals cheered when Ted Kennedy was nominated for president. Richard Nixon did not.

Before the DNC, Nixon had no doubt he would be elected president. Rockefeller, Reagan, and Romney had been quickly batted aside for a swift primary victory. A smooth convention, and a solid selection for his vice president in Spiro Agnew led to a lead to the polls. Meanwhile, the Democrats were eating each other alive. Bobby Kennedy would've been a formidable challenger. Humphrey had too many ties to Johnson. McCarthy was a joke. Then, out of the blue, Ted Kennedy offered himself as a draft candidate, and everything changed. Now, Nixon was stuck running against the last Kennedy son.

Outwardly, Nixon was calm. Deep down though, the shenanigans the Kennedys pulled last time in Texas and Illinois were eating at him. Would they do it again? Would they try to cheat me in some other state? Those were just two of the thoughts running through his mind.

Nixon did have one advantage though: Wallace's third party bid. Wallace was going to take much of the South, states the Democrats were used to relying on. Kennedy would have to win many of the other states to win.

John Mitchell, his campaign manager, walked in. "Alright Dick, we've got the schedule for the coming week. We have a couple days in Pennsylvania, followed by a day in Illinois, then the rest of the week in Michigan and Wisconsin."

"Change that John," said Nixon. "I want to spend more time in Illinois."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Kennedy's gonna need Illinois to win. We take Illinois, we win."

General Election Polling-September 2, 1968

Former Vice President Richard Nixon (R-NY)/Governor Spiro Agnew (R-MD): 169 EVs, 39%
Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA)/Governor Dan Moore (D-NC): 119 EVs, 32%
Former Governor George Wallace (AI-AL)/General Curtis LeMay (AI-CA): 53 EVs, 18%
Tossup: 197 EVs
zoz
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 12:57:12 PM »

I'm liking this story so far, good work!
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »

Pierre

Pierre Salinger had worked for the Kennedys for years. He had served as Press Secretary for Kennedy (and Johnson for a few months), and had worked on John and Bobby's presidential campaigns. Now, he was running Ted Kennedy's campaign, and, just like eight years ago, it was a tight race.

Much of the Northeast was in the Kennedy camp. Nixon had the Plains and Mountains states. That was expected. Wallace, on the other hand, was a real problem. The Deep South states were backing Wallace, and JFK had won four of the six states Wallace was leading in. Nixon was taking much of the rest of the South, with only North Carolina leaning towards the Democrats, and that was partially because their governor was on the ticket. The battleground was going to the Midwest and Great Lakes states.

At that moment, Arthur Schlesinger and a few other aides walked into the room. The topic of the meeting was the potential for a debate between Teddy and Nixon. "Any progress?" asked Salinger.

"The people I spoke to in the Nixon camp are ambivilent about a debate," said one aide. "And after what Jack did to him in 1960, I can't say I blame them."

"The debate could very well be the key to victory," said Schlesinger. "We need the Midwest to win and the debate could be our best chance at getting the message out."

"Nixon won't do it," the first aide retorted. The exchange went on and on before Salinger finally ended it.

"Arthur's right. We need that debate, and we gotta get Nixon to agree to it. Do whatever you have to do to get him to agree to a debate. Question why he doesn't want to, question whether he actually believes in his plans, imply he's a coward, hell, call him a coward for all I care. We have to get Teddy into a debate with Nixon."
Vidal

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 01:01:01 PM »

This is fantastic
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies