How would the District of Columbia have voted before 1964? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:26:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How would the District of Columbia have voted before 1964? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would the District of Columbia have voted before 1964?  (Read 2397 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: March 20, 2006, 03:41:30 AM »

Democrat going all the way back to 1932, at least (though the off chance of voting Republican in 56 considering African-Americans can't vote).  Before that, I'm guessing Democratic still, kind of a Southern thing with backlash against the Republicans.  I'm guessing it would vote similarly to Maryland.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that blacks couldn't vote in DC 1956. Before the Voting Rights Act, there were black voters (they were key to Truman's 1948 victory). It was only in certain locations, many in the Deep South, where blacks were stopped by local authorities. By the 1950s, even many  anti-Civil Rights officials, such as Louisiana Governor Earl Long, advocating giving blacks the vote (presuming that this would mean more votes for them). Anybody know the racial makeup of DC back then?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies