SENATE BILL: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon... Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:25:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon... Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon... Act (Passed)  (Read 2680 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2020, 12:13:18 AM »
« edited: June 25, 2020, 02:58:58 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL

Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

To repeal the misguided and ineffective assault weapons ban.

Be it enacted by both houses of the Congress of Atlasia

All parts of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act is hereby repealed.

Sponsor: LT
Senate Designation: SB24:12
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 12:13:38 AM »

Okay initial debate period commences with sponsor advocacy.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 11:20:28 AM »

This bill aims to repeal the assault weapons ban that was rammed through the last congress. I feel like that the previous status quo on gun laws were adequate in promoting safe responsible ownership of firearms without impeding on people's rights.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 12:49:01 PM »

I oppose this repeal in the strongest possible terms. Our assault weapons ban has already saved countless lives and has thwarted mass shootings at every turn. It has been an incredible success and will be even more of one in the days to come. Countless children died last congress during the months long filibuster of the ban's passage, and countless more will die if we repeal it. If you truly care for the lives of our children, you will vote no on this harmful and unsympathetic repeal.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »

I oppose this repeal in the strongest possible terms. Our assault weapons ban has already saved countless lives and has thwarted mass shootings at every turn. It has been an incredible success and will be even more of one in the days to come. Countless children died last congress during the months long filibuster of the ban's passage, and countless more will die if we repeal it. If you truly care for the lives of our children, you will vote no on this harmful and unsympathetic repeal.

Source or stop talking. 
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 03:01:00 PM »

In the time since the bill's passage, there have been no GM stories about any mass shootings. That alone is evidence that the ban is working.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 03:18:48 PM »

In the time since the bill's passage, there have been no GM stories about any mass shootings. That alone is evidence that the ban is working.

So you admit you have no source and just made it up. Good to know.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 03:39:11 PM »

My thoughts on the assault weapons ban are already known and I've already argued why they are ineffective and why these guns shouldn't be banned, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse.  Regardless, I voted against the original bill and I will be voting for its repeal, although it has no chance of becoming law.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 03:40:39 PM »

I'm open to making amendments, but not repealing the entire bill.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »

There's no chance of this becoming law as long as I'm President. Everyone knows I support gun control anyway and overall it's probably a vote winner for me so this doesn't even score political points effectively. Just stop wasting Congress' time and table this so we can work on actual productive stuff that can pass.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 06:20:23 PM »

There's no chance of this becoming law as long as I'm President. Everyone knows I support gun control anyway and overall it's probably a vote winner for me so this doesn't even score political points effectively. Just stop wasting Congress' time and table this so we can work on actual productive stuff that can pass.

If a more reasonable amendment at the very least comes up, veto overrides exist.

No one likes a tyrant, Peri. Stop acting like your way is the only way.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 06:26:40 PM »

The bill is already perfect and doesn't need to be amended further. A ton of amendments were proposed during the original bill's debate, and the minority filibustered its passage for weeks. We've already exhausted any necessary debate or modification to the bill, and the bill is simply perfect in its current form.

Would urge that this be tabled. Even LT/Scott/Yankee know that nothing productive can come from this thread, which is taking up a slot from another more worthwhile piece of legislation. Even if you managed to flip Jimmy and get this through the senate, there are not the votes to pass a repeal of this bill in the House by the margin necessary to override a veto. This thread is nothing but SPAM and should be tabled, for the sake of our children and an actually productive atlasian congress.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 06:48:25 PM »

The bill is already perfect and doesn't need to be amended further. A ton of amendments were proposed during the original bill's debate, and the minority filibustered its passage for weeks. We've already exhausted any necessary debate or modification to the bill, and the bill is simply perfect in its current form.

Would urge that this be tabled. Even LT/Scott/Yankee know that nothing productive can come from this thread, which is taking up a slot from another more worthwhile piece of legislation. Even if you managed to flip Jimmy and get this through the senate, there are not the votes to pass a repeal of this bill in the House by the margin necessary to override a veto. This thread is nothing but SPAM and should be tabled, for the sake of our children and an actually productive atlasian congress.

Nothing productive comes from you posting but here we are.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 06:49:09 PM »

More epic hypocrisy from fhtagn!
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 06:57:49 PM »

I think opinions on this (including mine though Wulfric seems to have forgotten) are already known.

We need a vote of sorts ASAP. Don’t see the point in this lying around.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 06:59:28 PM »

More epic hypocrisy from fhtagn!

Don't worry, Peri. My words to Wulfric apply to you as well.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 07:03:14 PM »

I think a full repeal would get 2/3 of the senate, and we should pass this soon here. Then once it goes to the house everyone reasonable should pitch in to amend it so it can get 6 votes there. I think that's the best course of action.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 07:13:31 PM »

(Speaking as a moderator, not Pontifex Maximus)

Please keep this civil. It's a controversial issue, but it's no excuse for personal insults to start flying yet again. At the very least think of Yankee and of not making things more difficult for him.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 07:26:05 PM »

As a citizen, I am very alarmed to see my tax dollars being used on a political stunt for a bill which has no chance of becoming law. Also if this does pass, is the Federalist Party willing to accept the blame for increased gun violence?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 07:30:04 PM »

As a citizen, I am very alarmed to see my tax dollars being used on a political stunt for a bill which has no chance of becoming law. Also if this does pass, is the Federalist Party willing to accept the blame for increased gun violence?

The bill we're debating now in the Senate has bipartisan tripartisan support.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »

Either the first four words of this bill need to be struck or you need to fix the tense of your linking verb.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 10:05:29 PM »

Can we get a motion to table going?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2020, 05:18:31 AM »

What even is the point of this? We alreadt debated gun control very recently
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 03:49:23 AM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
SENATE BILL

Repeal of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act

To repeal the misguided and ineffective assault weapons ban.

Be it enacted by both houses of the Congress of Atlasia

All parts of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act is are hereby repealed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2020, 04:09:13 AM »

To echo what Lumine has said, remember that civility is not a polite request, is a forceful demand and I will compel your compliance if necessary.

As to non-Senators, while I would not dream of shutting off access to the chamber (like certain folks wanted to do in 2015), please remember to act in a respectful manner while you are participating. The value and desire for your contributions is for your ideas, knowledge and help with tasks for which certain skill set is required that is lacking among the sitting members, not to see who can engage in the best comebacks and put downs.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies