1948: Eleanor Roosevelt the Democratic nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1948: Eleanor Roosevelt the Democratic nominee
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1948: Eleanor Roosevelt the Democratic nominee  (Read 748 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2020, 01:52:55 PM »

I think this is an interesting thought: What if Democrats nominated Eleanor Roosevelt for president in 1948? Say Harry Truman declines to run for a full term due to low polling numbers. Would Eleanor have a chance to be elected almost 70 years before Hillary ran? Any other events remain unchanged.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »

Eleanor Roosevelt was very popular, but I can't see her winning the Democratic nomination in an era of party bosses.

I imagine open sexism would hand Dewey a comfortable victory.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »

Eleanor Roosevelt was very popular, but I can't see her winning the Democratic nomination in an era of party bosses.

Eleanor was loved by Americans, but the South would revolt in bigger numbers.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2020, 03:24:37 PM by Alben Barkley »

Eleanor was loved by Americans, but the South would revolt in bigger numbers.

Would it matter though, since Truman won without them? Also, the West may be more open to a woman candidate so she could still win those states, and she may have been more likely to win New York. Likely to be fewer defections to Wallace, and without those Truman would have won it as it was.

Possible winning map for her, even losing CA, IA, OH, and VA:

I don't think GA or most of the other Southern states that didn't defect were ready to flip yet, and the Roosevets' personal connection to GA (Warm Springs) might have helped a bit too. Even if Eleanor lost like 10 points compared to Truman in some of these states, to Thurmond or Dewey, she still would have won them.

She could not, however, survive losing Illinois in addition to CA and OH, even while winning NY.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 05:22:04 PM »

If we are talking about women in politics in that era, it might be worth remembering that Margaret Chase Smith was mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate for Eisenhower in 1952. I wonder how a Vice President Chase Smith vs Senator Kennedy 1960 might have played out (although I believe that sexism >>> anti-Catholicism)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 12:30:36 AM »

If we are talking about women in politics in that era, it might be worth remembering that Margaret Chase Smith was mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate for Eisenhower in 1952. I wonder how a Vice President Chase Smith vs Senator Kennedy 1960 might have played out (although I believe that sexism >>> anti-Catholicism)

Margaret Chase Smith made nuttier comments than Goldwater about using nukes — she called for a preemptive strike directly against the USSR at one point. That would have hurt her even more than her sex I think. Although that comment may have come after Kennedy was elected. Certainly would have been a bloodbath if she won the nomination in 1964, as she actually tried to do. I think in that situation, LBJ wins every state but MS and AL, and even they probably vote for unpledged electors again or Wallace or something. (They would have no reason to vote for Smith as she was a moderate on Civil Rights.) She would have been wiped out.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »

Margaret Chase Smith made nuttier comments than Goldwater about using nukes — she called for a preemptive strike directly against the USSR at one point. That would have hurt her even more than her sex I think. Although that comment may have come after Kennedy was elected. Certainly would have been a bloodbath if she won the nomination in 1964, as she actually tried to do. I think in that situation, LBJ wins every state but MS and AL, and even they probably vote for unpledged electors again or Wallace or something. (They would have no reason to vote for Smith as she was a moderate on Civil Rights.) She would have been wiped out.

Wow. I did not know about the nukes comments. I have searched for them and it seems that she said that during Kennedy's tenure.
Anyway, in 1964 I believe that every Republican would have been wiped out, even Rockefeller simply would have lost in a less embarrassing way. And also, yeah, with a pro-civil rights Republican, George Wallace would likely have done what he did in 1968 and most Goldwater votes in the South would have shifted to Wallace instead.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies