SENATE BILL: PROTECT AND EXPAND SOCIAL SECURITY ACT (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:54:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: PROTECT AND EXPAND SOCIAL SECURITY ACT (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: PROTECT AND EXPAND SOCIAL SECURITY ACT (Passed)  (Read 2316 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2020, 11:41:25 AM »
« edited: July 18, 2020, 10:50:57 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

PROTECT AND EXPAND SOCIAL SECURITY ACT

To protect and expand Social Security.

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
SECTION I: TITLE.
This law shall be referred to as the Protect and Expand Social Security Act.

SECTION II: FINDINGS.

(a) Social Security is a very popular and successful program that has provided an important safety net for millions of Atlasians and a more secure retirement for Elderly Atlasians.

(b) Since the creation of Social Security, poverty among seniors has been drastically cut.

(c) The Social Security Administration estimates that by 2037, the Social Security Trust Funds will be depleted. After this point, the Social Security Administration will be unable to provide benefits in full for the first time since the program's creation.

(d) Congress resolves that Social Security must be protected and expanded and that it must therefore act to provide new sources of revenue and ensure that recipients continue to recieve adequate benefits in full.

SECTION III: STRENGTHENING OF BENEFITS.

(a) 42 U.S. Code § 415 (a)(1)(A)(i) shall be amended as follows:

(i) 90 93 percent of the individual's average indexed monthly earnings (determined under subsection (b)) to the extent that such earnings do not exceed the amount established for purposes of this clause by subparagraph (B),

(b) The Social Security Administration shall hereby utilise the Consumer Price Index for the Elderly (CPI-E) as published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics when calculating cost-of-living adjustments to benefits.

(c) 42 U.S. Code § 415 (a)(1) shall be amended follows:
 (i) By redesignating subparagraph (D) as subparagraph (E).
 (ii) By inserting after subparagraph (C) the following new subparagraph:

(D)
 (i) Effective with respect to the benefits of individuals who become eligible for old-age insurance benefits or disability insurance benefits (or die before becoming so eligible) after 2019, no primary insurance amount computed under subparagraph (A) may be less than the greater of:
  (I) The minimum monthly amount computed under subparaghraph (C); or
  (II) In the case of an individual who has more than 10 years of work (as defined in clause (iv)(I)), the alternative minimum amount determined under clause (ii).
 (ii)
  (I) The alternative minimum amount determined under this clause is the applicable percentage of one twelth of the annual dollar amount determined under clause (iii) for the year in which the amount is determined.
  (II) For purposes of subclause (I), the applicable percentage is the percentage specified in connection with the number of years of work, as set fourth in the following table:

Key:-
Number of years of work: Applicable percentage

11: 6.25%
12: 12.50%
13: 18.75%
14: 25.00%
15: 31.25%
16: 37.50%
17: 43.75%
18: 50.00%
19: 56.25%
20: 62.80%
21: 68.75%
22: 75.00%
23: 81.25%
24: 87.50%
25: 93.75%
26: 100.00%
27: 106.25%
28: 112.50%
29: 118.75%
30+: 125.00%

(iii) The annual dollar amount determined under this clause is:
  (I) For calendar year 2021, the poverty guideline for 2020.
  (II) For any calendar year after 2021, the annual dollar amount for 2021 multiplied by the ratio of:
   (aa) The national average wage index (as defined in section 409(k)(1) of this title) for the second callendar year preceding the calendar year for which the determine is made, to.
   (bb) The national average wage index for 2019.
 (iv) For the purposes of this subparagraph:
  (I) The term "year of work" means, with respect to an individual, a year to to which 4 quarters of coverage have been credited based on such individual's wages and self-employment income.
  (II) The term "poverty guideline for 2020" means the annual poverty guideline for 2020 (as updated annually in the Federal Register by the Department of Health and Human Services under the authority of section 673(2) of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981) as applicable to a single individual.

(d) 42 U.S. Code § 409 (k)(1) shall be amended by inserting "415(a)(1)(E)" after "415(a)(1)(E)".

(e) All individuals who do not meet the eligibility requirements specified under 42 U.S. Code § 402 (d) shall now be eligible for Child's Insurance Benefits if they:
 (i) Have not attained the age of 22.
 (ii) Are in full-time education at a college or vocational school.

(f) For the purposes of the calculation of average indexed monthly earnings, future beneficiaries shall be eligible to recieve credit equal to one twelth of the annual median wage of the relevant year for each month of that year in which they have not been in full-time employment and in which they have provided at least 80 hours of unpaid caregiving to:
 (i) A child under the age of 6.
 (ii) A dependent with a disability.
 (iii) An elderly relative.

(g) Current recipients shall be eligible to recieve credit established by subsection (f) retroactively by five years.

(h) 42 U.S. Code § 402 (e)(B) is hereby struck out and provisions are re-numbered accordingly.

(i) 42 U.S. Code § 402 (f)(B) is hereby struck out and provisions are re-numbered accordingly.

(j) For purposes of determining the income of an individual to establish eligibility for, and the amount of, benefits payable under title XVI of the Social Security Act, eligibility for medical assistance under the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017 and other medical assistance under title XIX (or a waiver of such plan), or eligibility for child health assistance under the State child health plan under title XXI (or a waiver of the plan), the amount of any benefit to which the individual is entitled under title II of such Act shall be deemed not to exceed the amount of the benefit that would be determined for such individual under such title as in effect on the day before the date of the enactment of this Act.

SECTION IV: ADMINISTRATION OF SOCIAL SECURITY.

(a) The annual budget of the Social Security Administration shall be increased by 5% for FY 2021.
 (i) The annual budget of the Social Security Administration shall be increased by a further 1% for every FY starting from FY 2022 for 5 consecutive years.

(b) The Social Security Administration shall hereby be instructed to merge the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund and the Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund to form the Social Security Trust Fund.

SECTION V: SOCIAL SECURITY PAYROLL TAX REFORM.

(a) The Maximum Taxable Earnings cap for the Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax shall be phased out.
(b) From the 1st of January 2024, the rate of Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax shall be increased to 0.6% on earnings above the Maximum Taxable Earnings cap.
 (i) On the 1st of January of every subsequent year, the rate of Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax shall be increased by an additional 0.7% on earnings above the Maximum Earnings cap.
 (ii) This process shall continue until the rate of Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax paid on earnings above the Maximum Taxable Earnings cap is equal to the rate paid on earnings below the cap - the Maximum Taxable Earnings cap thereby being eliminated.
(c) A Minimum Taxable Earning cap of $15,000 shall be added for the Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax.
 (i) All earnings below this cap shall not be taxed under the Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax.
 (ii) The Minimum Taxable Earning cap shall be adjusted for inflation on an annual basis.

SECTION VI: IMPLEMENTATION.

(a) Unless otherwise stated, the provisions of this act shall take effect on the 1st of January 2021.

Sponsor:        (Presidential Introduction)
Senate Designation: SB24:11
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »

I am going to need an in chamber sponsor.

thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 02:05:20 PM »

Thanks to the President for introducing this and to the PPT for bringing this to the floor. The objective of the bill is to expand benefits and to extend the solvency of the trust fund. There's a lot to take in here so I'm just gonna paste the breakdown I wrote during the House debate which explains what each provision changes.

Section III:
a. This section provides a blanket increase of benefits for everyone by making a simple change to the formula.
b. This changes the Consumer Price Index that is used for calculating cost-of-living adjustments from the CPI-W which is currently used to the CPI-E which is geared more towards the cost of living for elderly people.
c. This creates a new special minimum benefit at 125% of the poverty level. This primarily helps recipients who weren't paid very well in their working life and therefore don't get as much money from Social Security and therefore struggle to cover their costs of living.
d. This is just renumbering to deal with the creation of a new subparagraph in subsection c.
e. Extends child benefits to students up to the age of 22. This helps the children of disabled or deceased parents pay for their costs of living and educational costs.
f. This provides credits to people who've had to stop full time work for part of their life to provide unpaid care for a child or a relative. Under the current system, they'd be penalised for this because it reduces the average of the wage records they submit when they apply for Social Security.
g. This allows current recipients to retroactively apply for the credits given in subsection f by up to 5 years.
h. This removes the minimum age for widow benefits. If you lose your wife or husband, you need some financial support regardless of your age.
i. This removes the minimum age for widower benefits, see above.
j. This makes it so any increased benefits that come as a result of this bill do not count as income when determining someone's eligibility for support under CHIP, SSI and AtlasCare.

Section IV:
a. This increases the Administrative Budget for the Social Security Administration, which has been cut in recent years and has led to a lower quality service. This also helps deal with some of the extra administrative costs that will come as a result of this bill.
b. This merges the two trust funds to form a single one. This will allow more efficiency and avoid the political wrangling and bureaucracy around transfering funds from one to the other.

Section V:
a/b. This phases out the Social Security cap over 19 years starting in 2024, with a gradual increase in payroll taxes on income above the cap over those years. This will significantly boost revenue for the trust fund which will pay for the benefit increases in Section III and significantly extend the solvency of the Social Security. Note that the tax is increased at a fixed rate every year, so if the overall rate of tax is changed, the length of the phase-in changes.
c. This adds a new minimum cap which means income below $15,000 will no longer be included in Social Security taxes, providing a significant tax cut for low income Atlasians.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 06:33:31 PM »

I'll sponsor.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 12:02:49 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 03:34:16 AM »

The sponsorship motion is carried.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 11:10:47 AM »

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 03:45:50 AM »

Does the minimum cap affect benefits down the line or does III.c. completely address any potential loss from that?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 03:26:21 PM »

Does the minimum cap affect benefits down the line or does III.c. completely address any potential loss from that?

My intention was for income below the minimum cap to still be included in AIME calculations, though it might be best to specify that.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »

PROTECT AND EXPAND SOCIAL SECURITY ACT

To protect and expand Social Security.

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
SECTION I: TITLE.
This law shall be referred to as the Protect and Expand Social Security Act.

SECTION II: FINDINGS.

(a) Social Security is a very popular and successful program that has provided an important safety net for millions of Atlasians and a more secure retirement for Elderly Atlasians.

(b) Since the creation of Social Security, poverty among seniors has been drastically cut.

(c) The Social Security Administration estimates that by 2037, the Social Security Trust Funds will be depleted. After this point, the Social Security Administration will be unable to provide benefits in full for the first time since the program's creation.

(d) Congress resolves that Social Security must be protected and expanded and that it must therefore act to provide new sources of revenue and ensure that recipients continue to recieve adequate benefits in full.

SECTION III: STRENGTHENING OF BENEFITS.

(a) 42 U.S. Code § 415 (a)(1)(A)(i) shall be amended as follows:

(i) 90 93 percent of the individual's average indexed monthly earnings (determined under subsection (b)) to the extent that such earnings do not exceed the amount established for purposes of this clause by subparagraph (B),

(b) The Social Security Administration shall hereby utilise the Consumer Price Index for the Elderly (CPI-E) as published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics when calculating cost-of-living adjustments to benefits.

(c) 42 U.S. Code § 415 (a)(1) shall be amended follows:
 (i) By redesignating subparagraph (D) as subparagraph (E).
 (ii) By inserting after subparagraph (C) the following new subparagraph:

(D)
 (i) Effective with respect to the benefits of individuals who become eligible for old-age insurance benefits or disability insurance benefits (or die before becoming so eligible) after 2019, no primary insurance amount computed under subparagraph (A) may be less than the greater of:
  (I) The minimum monthly amount computed under subparaghraph (C); or
  (II) In the case of an individual who has more than 10 years of work (as defined in clause (iv)(I)), the alternative minimum amount determined under clause (ii).
 (ii)
  (I) The alternative minimum amount determined under this clause is the applicable percentage of one twelth of the annual dollar amount determined under clause (iii) for the year in which the amount is determined.
  (II) For purposes of subclause (I), the applicable percentage is the percentage specified in connection with the number of years of work, as set fourth in the following table:

Key:-
Number of years of work: Applicable percentage

11: 6.25%
12: 12.50%
13: 18.75%
14: 25.00%
15: 31.25%
16: 37.50%
17: 43.75%
18: 50.00%
19: 56.25%
20: 62.80%
21: 68.75%
22: 75.00%
23: 81.25%
24: 87.50%
25: 93.75%
26: 100.00%
27: 106.25%
28: 112.50%
29: 118.75%
30+: 125.00%

(iii) The annual dollar amount determined under this clause is:
  (I) For calendar year 2021, the poverty guideline for 2020.
  (II) For any calendar year after 2021, the annual dollar amount for 2021 multiplied by the ratio of:
   (aa) The national average wage index (as defined in section 409(k)(1) of this title) for the second callendar year preceding the calendar year for which the determine is made, to.
   (bb) The national average wage index for 2019.
 (iv) For the purposes of this subparagraph:
  (I) The term "year of work" means, with respect to an individual, a year to to which 4 quarters of coverage have been credited based on such individual's wages and self-employment income.
  (II) The term "poverty guideline for 2020" means the annual poverty guideline for 2020 (as updated annually in the Federal Register by the Department of Health and Human Services under the authority of section 673(2) of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981) as applicable to a single individual.

(d) 42 U.S. Code § 409 (k)(1) shall be amended by inserting "415(a)(1)(E)" after "415(a)(1)(E)".

(e) All individuals who do not meet the eligibility requirements specified under 42 U.S. Code § 402 (d) shall now be eligible for Child's Insurance Benefits if they:
 (i) Have not attained the age of 22.
 (ii) Are in full-time education at a college or vocational school.

(f) For the purposes of the calculation of average indexed monthly earnings, future beneficiaries shall be eligible to recieve credit equal to one twelth of the annual median wage of the relevant year for each month of that year in which they have not been in full-time employment and in which they have provided at least 80 hours of unpaid caregiving to:
 (i) A child under the age of 6.
 (ii) A dependent with a disability.
 (iii) An elderly relative.

(g) Current recipients shall be eligible to recieve credit established by subsection (f) retroactively by five years.

(h) 42 U.S. Code § 402 (e)(B) is hereby struck out and provisions are re-numbered accordingly.

(i) 42 U.S. Code § 402 (f)(B) is hereby struck out and provisions are re-numbered accordingly.

(j) For purposes of determining the income of an individual to establish eligibility for, and the amount of, benefits payable under title XVI of the Social Security Act, eligibility for medical assistance under the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017 and other medical assistance under title XIX (or a waiver of such plan), or eligibility for child health assistance under the State child health plan under title XXI (or a waiver of the plan), the amount of any benefit to which the individual is entitled under title II of such Act shall be deemed not to exceed the amount of the benefit that would be determined for such individual under such title as in effect on the day before the date of the enactment of this Act.

SECTION IV: ADMINISTRATION OF SOCIAL SECURITY.

(a) The annual budget of the Social Security Administration shall be increased by 5% for FY 2021.
 (i) The annual budget of the Social Security Administration shall be increased by a further 1% for every FY starting from FY 2022 for 5 consecutive years.

(b) The Social Security Administration shall hereby be instructed to merge the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund and the Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund to form the Social Security Trust Fund.

SECTION V: SOCIAL SECURITY PAYROLL TAX REFORM.

(a) The Maximum Taxable Earnings cap for the Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax shall be phased out.
(b) From the 1st of January 2024, the rate of Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax shall be increased to 0.6% on earnings above the Maximum Taxable Earnings cap.
 (i) On the 1st of January of every subsequent year, the rate of Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax shall be increased by an additional 0.7% on earnings above the Maximum Earnings cap.
 (ii) This process shall continue until the rate of Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax paid on earnings above the Maximum Taxable Earnings cap is equal to the rate paid on earnings below the cap - the Maximum Taxable Earnings cap thereby being eliminated.
(c) A Minimum Taxable Earning cap of $15,000 shall be added for the Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax.
 (i) All earnings below this cap shall not be taxed under the Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) payroll tax.
 (ii) The Minimum Taxable Earning cap shall be adjusted for inflation on an annual basis.
 (iii) Earnings below the Minimum Taxable Earnings cap shall be included in calculations of an individual's average indexed monthly earnings.

SECTION VI: IMPLEMENTATION.

(a) Unless otherwise stated, the provisions of this act shall take effect on the 1st of January 2021.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 05:55:38 PM »

Why not a quicker phase out?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 07:36:27 PM »

If you want to amend to make the phase out quicker, then I'm happy with that. My reason for being cautious is that we don't know what the economy will look like in 10 years time, especially with what's going on now. In a couple of years time when maybe we'll have a slightly more stable situation, the phase in could be sped up.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 05:39:36 PM »

I can sponsor Thumbs amendment unless YE proceeds with his own.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »

Okay, sponsoring Thumb's amendment, I need feedback.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 11:43:46 PM »

YE?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 11:24:18 PM »

If you want to amend to make the phase out quicker, then I'm happy with that. My reason for being cautious is that we don't know what the economy will look like in 10 years time, especially with what's going on now. In a couple of years time when maybe we'll have a slightly more stable situation, the phase in could be sped up.

Fair enough.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 03:04:30 PM »

Is there anything else to say here?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »

YE needs to approve Yankee's amendment.  I intend on voting for the final bill as amended.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 05:17:48 PM »

YE needs to approve Yankee's amendment.  I intend on voting for the final bill as amended.

Or offer one with the quicker phase out. Or I could offer one but I would need to know how quicker.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 05:44:45 PM »

bump
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 12:22:17 AM »

I am going to open a vote on the thumb text above, offered as Amendment 24:22. Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

We can always come back with a second amendment later regarding the phase out.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 01:03:41 AM »

Aye
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon