Keys to the White House: 1960 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:09:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Keys to the White House: 1960 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Keys to the White House: 1960  (Read 2958 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« on: June 08, 2020, 11:12:13 AM »
« edited: June 08, 2020, 11:32:08 AM by KaiserDave »

Will Angler 1960

Will Angler decided to run for a third term, with Republican enthusiasm building after 8 years of Democratic rule, a change was brewing in the air, and it looked like Henry Cabot Lodge could be leading the charge and Will's own reelection was nearly certain. Angler whipped the Vermont delegation behind Lodge again, and made himself available to speak on behalf of Lodge at the convention.

Quote from: Will Angler, 1960 RNC
Senator Lodge is the model of leadership, the paradigm of professionalism. He is the best man ready to step forward and go on with the task of government, and he is the best man to hold the standard of the Republican Party. His distinguished career has been defined by principles of the strongest iron, good government based on merit and not debased by corruption, civil rights for all, and compassionate leadership that gives those who cannot help themselves the means to do so. These principles to speak to his character of integrity and of service. The man who like myself was forged in the fires of the Second World War, the man who while serving in the Senate served his country abroad and single handedly captured an entire Nazi patrol. And the man who used his seat in the Senate to fight communism abroad and for American families at home. I ask you my fellow Republicans, will we be the party of defeat in 1956, or will we the party of victory in 1960! We will be victorious in November with Senator Lodge, but more importantly we can win the battle for which party truly flies the standard of progress, and with Senator Lodge nobody can doubt it is the Republican Party.

Will also campaigned for Lodge behind the scenes of the convention. When all was said and done he returned home to campaign for Governor on his progressive record, but pledging to use his 3rd term to work on cost saving and to grow the paint day fund as opposed to big new reforms, both to reassure voters and placate conservatives.

In his personal life his wife Josephine gave birth to a son whom they named Will Jr.

My support is to Lodge and Stevenson for Republicans and Democrats.
2 Points to reelect Will Angler Governor of Vermont
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 10:10:48 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2020, 10:20:39 PM by KaiserDave »

Will Angler 1960

Will was encouraged by Lodge's strength, it was quite likely he was to be nominated. Angler continued to go delegate to delegate making the case for Henry Cabot Lodge.

He told one delegate from Rhode Island supporting Smith

"It's a dangerous world Pat, we got commies in Cuba, in Vietnam, encroaching enemies on all sides. We've got to be that arsenal of Democracy, that leader of NATO, we've gotta be the country to defend liberty. I know Maggie's making a good case but you know as well as I do she ain't got a shot, you support Henry on the next ballot and not only will it be good for America's future to have real foreign policy know-how, but it may well be good for yours as well."

He also was appointed to Lodge's Vice Presidential selection committee, with which he used to get himself closer with Senator Lodge and to look through the options. The committee was rigorous, and it looked at a wide array of options. Ultimately however, the choice was staring them in the face the entire time. It was the choice of party unity, of regional balance, and one that would shift the party leftwards without alienating the conservative wing. Richard M. Nixon of California. Angler visited Lodge's suite himself to deliver the news.

Will Angler strolled to the Senator's hotel suite and knocked on the door. Lodge shouted from inside, "come in!" Angler opened the unlocked door and saw Lodge had the White Sox game on. "I take it you have what you've been working on Will my pal?"

"Yes sir, I've got it."

"Thank you Will, I should really thank you, you've been a great partner, and a good friend. I would hardly be here without your work. And what you've in Vermont is truly admirable."

"Thank you sir, but I'd like to tell you our decisions."

"Oh take a drink with me Will. Two New England boys, war vets and all that." Will smiled but shuffled his feet.

"Sir I don't partake."

"Oh cmon, for old times sake."

Lodge poured a glass of whiskey for the both of them and shut off the television. Will lay back in a comfy chair as the both of them took in the setting sun, and shared old war stories. The last bit of sun was barely hovering over the horizon, emitting a slight purple and orange glow over the city as Will finally took out the manilla folder. A bit tipsy, but he was all there nonetheless.

"Sir I think it's time we got to business." Lodge turned over.

"So it is." Will put it on the table between them and Lodge opened it up, but not before looking at it for a brief moment.

"So here's the number two." Lodge opened it to reveal a photo of Richard Nixon on a document with scribbled notes and signatures of various members of the committee. "Ah, Dick, I can't say it doesn't make sense."

"Senator he's the right man, pulls in the west, makes the conservatives happy, even if he's a slithery bastard he unites the party, moderates like him, conservatives are okay with him, and liberals have others they can hate on. Go for the win with Dick I tell ya."

Lodge nodded, "and if he's too ambitious to play second fiddle?"

"Then go with Dirksen, he's a loyal party man and he gets you the regional balance and makes conservatives and moderates all happy to blend with your liberalism. All the right buttons. And I should mention it secures you a majority on the next ballot if Nixon says yes."

"I suppose it makes sense." Lodge nodded as he read the papers.

"I should be going." Will got up and prepared to leave.

"I like it." Lodge said to himself.

My support is to Lodge and Humphrey for Republicans and Democrats.
2 points to elect John Volpe Governor of Massachusetts

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »

Will Angler 1960

Will had gotten his VP business done and was now free to get some other business complete. The Governor of Vermont was not often in the national spotlight, the Northern Kingdom was populated by a few "fur trappers and moose" as one New York Republican had joked to Will at the 1956 Republican convention when he was trying to rally support for Lodge. Will was not entirely unacquainted with the national media, his Civil Rights work had put him in national headlines for a decent period, but now it was time to get in the spotlight, and stay in the spotlight. For the country, for progressive Republicanism, and for Henry. Will adjusted his tie, and stepped forward where the press gaggle was waiting. Will stepped behind the podium emblazoned with an elephant rearing its legs upwards. The camera's flashed and snapped as he adjusted his papers.

"Gentleman its become increasingly clear that this convention wants Henry Cabot Lodge as its nominee. I am proud of the role I have played in that capacity, and I am proud of the role I have played as a Republican these past few nights, but also these few years, as Governor of Vermont I've flown the banner of progressive values and good government going hand and hand, as they did with Theodore Roosevelt and Earl Warren. I believe the Republican Party must the party of these values, of equality before the law for every American, that every person should be able to live up to their God given potential, that we are the superior to communism because we are kind, we are creative, and we are free, and that we believe in a good compassionate government and not the apathetic tyranny of Soviet communism. I believe Vermont proves that, and I believe that's what Americans are looking for in 1960. I'd like to ask Americans and my fellow patriots to compare the leadership record of Senator Lodge, a man every American I believe can look at and rally around, sensible, pragmatic, forward thinking, and compare it to the disunity we see in the Democratic Party today. We've all heard the rumors, double dealing, conspiracy, convention chicanery of all sorts. This is not part and parcel of politics folks, I think we're looking at a contrast, between the machine politics of the DNC, and the pragmatic progressive thought of the Republican Party. For my fellow progressives, for those who follow good government, and independent thinking, transparency and decency, I ask you to join us this year to give America a new birth of freedom, so we can meet the challenges abroad with strength and create a more just society at home. I'll soon be returning to Vermont, where together we're trying to build that more just society, but rest assured I will be out there campaigning for Senator Lodge."

The cameras flashed and snapped further as the press began to ask questions.

"Governor, are you accusing the Democratic Party of corruption?"

"No I don't know for sure, I know there are many caring and patriotic Democrats and as we all know the late great President Eisenhower is a tremendous inspiration to me and indeed us all, but we must all ask ourselves why the Democratic Party has such a proclivity to embrace machine politics, backroom dealings, and perhaps yes corrupt practices at the expense of people. Let nobody make the mistake, in 1960 its the Republican Party that puts people before politics, and I think the Democrats need a wake up call that the current way they practice politics just ain't right." 
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 10:17:16 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2020, 08:27:37 AM by KaiserDave »

Will Angler 1960

Will Angler had done the work that had to be done. A professional, articulate, intelligent, and liberal Republican had triumphed over the party's various conservatives, and it looked likely it would be Richard Nixon as the running mate, and if not Nixon it would be Dirksen. A win win if Will had ever seen one. Will congratulated the rest of the Lodge team, but also met with the Vermont Republican Party leaders attending the convention, seeing if they'd consider putting some pressure on either Senator Aiken and Prouty to retire in 1962 or 64, though Prouty was certainly more likely given his brief time their and less political stature.

Will Angler was running for reelection as Governor on a platform of cleaning up the state budget, cutting costs, and making sure his new programs could be solvent. With Republican momentum brewing, his reelection in Vermont should be a sure thing. As he left the convention hall for a flight to Burlington, he briefly spoke to the press.

I think Republicans have proved that they are the party of competence in this election, of dignity, and of transparency, whereas unfortunately the Democrats seem addicted to backroom politics. I urge Americans to pick a new path in November.

Humphrey
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 11:41:37 AM »

Will Angler 1960

Will Angler settled down by the crackling fireplace in the Vermont night. The children were asleep, his wife was reading a book on the sofa while he settled into his armchair by the fire while it snapped and cracked, while the crickets outside chirped and the stars twinkled. Now this was Vermont.

Will grabbed his pipe, which he reserved for such scenic nights, maybe just for the image, and opened an envelope from a Vermonter. He read it, going on and on about how their neighbor's fence crossed into their property. Will took a long draw from his pipe, oh how much longer would he have to deal with these minor disputes and so forth. At this point, well he loved Vermont and loved being Governor but there was a point where writing a letter telling them what to do (as he was doing now) felt unimportant. He finished writing the letter, licking it closed and then placing it in the out pile.

"Did you see what that gangster Gerry said about you the other day?" asked Josephine from the sofa. Will nodded as he looked through the pile of letters on the side table.

"Yes, he had some....descriptive words." Will's facial expression did not change as he wrote a letter to the GOP County Chair for Bennington County on preparing for a Senate run at some point in the next few years.

"You're not going to say...anything?" asked Josephine, getting defensive on behalf of her husband.

"As a matter of fact there's a few national papers-" Will tapped the letter pile with his pipe, "asking for comment."

"You should respond, he can't expect to just mouth off like that and not be reprimanded."

"What is the humble Governor of Vermont compared to the Speaker of the House?" Will began writing out another letter, this time to the Essex County Chair on his preparations. Josephine went back to her book, but replied just once more after settling back down.

"There's no harm in keeping your name in the headlines."

Will nodded slowly as he finished up this letter and moved over to a letter from the Baltimore Sun asking for comment, on top of a few other letters asking for the same. Will began to pen a reply.

There is nobody who applauds progressive legislation that advances the cause of America's common men and women more than I, and it was in the spirit of a better life for all my countrymen that I served in the Second War. And I have dedicated my time in public life to this cause. Of course it is Vermont with the nations first civil rights law, and Vermont who has guaranteed healthcare to all its citizens and Vermont who has built a progressive tax code. But for the Speaker of the House to admonish me for what, supporting a candidate in a nominating process free of skullduggery? It is hardly apt for him to do so given the activities in his own backyard. Southern machine Democrats play political football in smoke filled rooms while liberal policies get discarded. It is neither transparent nor progressive.

Will licked his reply envelope closed as his wife went off to bed and the fire continued to crackle. He still had some work to do sending our letters to key supporters for his reelection. Will took a long draw from his pipe, and tossed a newspaper clipping of Gerry's remarks into the flames.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »

Did Anton agree to that message?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 09:02:48 PM »

OOC : I'm letting RepresentativeElcaspar decide what to do himself, hence why I leave player character interactions sometimes open ended. I'm not really doing much else besides telling Anton information that is already on this page and has been given to Gerry and Thomas. Apologies if I'm not making sense and if Elcaspar wants it removed, he can ask me privately and I'll delete the post.

Sounds good
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 12:14:51 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2021, 07:48:40 PM by KaiserDave »

Will Angler 1960

At least 100 people had gathered into the Burlington Town Square. American flags flew from each corner, and the crowd was scattered with flying Americans flags and posters on high of "Lodge and Nixon." Buttons attached the coats of many proclaimed "Vote Republican: Lodge and Nixon." Manner more had buttons declaring "Re-elect Will!" Many posters in the air had the same image of Will Angler staring forward pipe in hand pronouncing the same slogan. Will stood backstage in a long coat and hat chatting with several other Republican state officials, including Senator Aiken and the State Chair. Will took a long draw from his pipe, as they discussed the coming presidential race. Senator Lodge certainly had an edge over Douglas, but they had to bring it home.

"We cannot go along and lose another election. That will mean that well for only 4 of the last 34 years will we have had a Republican. Calamity, calamity." Aiken shook his head in dismay as he finished his sentence. Will took a long draw from his pipe again and then spoke.

"If we can't win in 60 the party will shattered, and the carcass will be left to the conservatives and Fossites." Everyone nodded in agreement. They were interrupted in their collective agreement by Senator Lodge jumping in and patting Will on the shoulder.

"So tell me why you all wanted me in Vermont?" Henry laughed and shook the hands of everyone there. Indeed a rally in Vermont was fairly pointless, Lodge was going to win Vermont with ease. But Will had been able to get one, to help Republicans down ballot and to hopefully keep his name in the headlines.

"It's time!" said Will. All the Republicans save Lodge strolled onto the stage to cheers and sat in a row behind the podium, which had a large "Lodge and Nixon" sign. Will stepped up to the cheers from the crowd, which yes looked over a hundred.

"Folks, Vermonters, Republicans! I'm happy to speak to you today on many matters, and I'm so excited for the next two years together. I believe that we have chance to secure our prosperity for a generation. Vermonters are wealthier, healthier, yes, but we've gotta secure this for future generations. In the next two years I commit to you that we will grow the budget surplus and we will look to save every penny we can. Back in 1950 you know I was in the state legislature and I went out to look for everything we could to return to taxpayers. I once cut out a 5,000 payment for a new marina near a state legislator's lakeside home! I didn't make many friends in the state house that day, but I believe that I did right by the people of Vermont. By 1962 I promise our surplus will grow, and our people will prosper. But today I have something very special for everyone. We have a very special guest today friends, I'm very proud to introduce a man who's career is defined by leadership, who's committed himself to service, and who cares deeply for the cause of good government and progress! The next President of the United States, Henry Cabot Lodge Junior!"

Lodge stepped onstage to applause as Will shook his hand as the cameras snapped and returned to his seat.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 08:59:13 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2021, 08:09:51 AM by KaiserDave »

Will Angler: Campaign Trail 1960

Never before had Governor Angler been placed in such a position of national responsibility. Yes he had been Governor of Vermont, and had past a laundry list of progressive reforms. He had frustrated the Proctor Machine and ushered in progressive Republican dominance in the state of Vermont. But in the eyes of the nation, Vermont was an obscure, small, irrelevant Yankee enclave. Being chair of the first serious Republican presidential campaign since Warren in 48 was something else entirely.

Will had labored for Senator Lodge for two elections, and he had grown close personally and politically with the fellow Yankee Republican veteran. He had been rewarded for his loyal service with a heavy responsibility. If he succeeded in getting Lodge elected, the sky was the limit, if Lodge went down in defeat, Will would never go anywhere. He had to win.

So he put his mind to winning. He did one 14 county tour of Vermont to wrap up his in person re-election campaigning, put his small campaign fund in the hands of his campaign manager, and rented out an apartment in Boston for the rest of the campaign.

Lodge and Angler both acknowledged the same reality. This election would be fought and won in the north, specifically the northeast, where Will and Lodge were on friendly turf. At the campaign headquarters at the exquisite Boston Ritz Carlton, the campaign leaders puffed cigars and discussed strategy. Will, was unaccustomed to such luxury, but he was so engrossed in the strategy in didn't matter. He puffed his pipe as he gave a briefing to the team of Yankee northern Republicans.

"This election will be won in the northeast my friends. New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts. That's where we'll cripple the Dems. In order to do so, we'll make a concerted effort for the Negro vote. The Democrats have made themselves, weak, weak on this issue. Every time they go to lick the boots of those damn Dixiecrats for "party unity" they open themselves to attack here in the North. We're already gonna lose the South, and don't any of you entertain fantasies we won't." The men nodded, all of them being northern Yankees, none of them really amused themselves with southern strategies.
'We're not running a lily white campaign to appeal to a few Klansmen when we gonna run the score up here in the north. We're going to plaster than photo of Jackson and Thurmond in every city we go too, we're gonna air racist Dixiecrat ramblings wherever we go, and we're going to remind everyone why we're the Party of Lincoln and why they're the party of Tillman. When this campaign is through everyone will understand that. And we'll talk about communism, we're gonna talk about vigilance against the Soviet Union a lot folks, we're gonna be the anti Klan, anti communist ticket, and we're gonna win."

True to his word, Angler launched a major offensive against the northeast. Money, speakers, infrastructure, and Lodge himself were heavily deployed. Lodge toured Pennsylvania, with major stops in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. He toured Detroit, and he toured traditionally Democratic turf in cities across the north, in Cleveland, in Chicago, in Baltimore, and in Newark. Of course the campaign wasn't entirely regionalized, Lodge went out west, to Iowa, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Denver, and despite the fact that the campaign was effectively giving up on Texas with their civil rights rhetoric, he stopped in Dallas and Houston.

Angler made a few stops in Massachusetts for the Lodge campaign, but he primarily focused on logistics, strategy, and media (he was always on radio and increasingly, television, to talk up Lodge). However he was noted for a speech to a black church in Boston, where Will declared.

"It took a lot of fighting to pass the civil rights bill in Vermont. But it was the right thing to do, it was the moral thing to do, and it was the godly thing to do. And a lot of people hated it, I reckon the Klansmen and the Citizens Councillors down south hate me quite a bit, I reckon they hate Senator Lodge too, and I welcome their hatred! It shows we are right! It shows...we will win!"

As October rolled around, Lodge had a major speech in Harlem to a crowd of predominantly black New Yorkers, including many prominent journalists and figures in that community. Will had a hand in organizing his speech, but there was really only one important contingent. Lodge's commitment to a sweeping civil rights bill. A bill to end discrimination in businesses and in housing on the basis of race and ethnicity. It was a very ambitious proposal, but it was absolutely in tune with northern voters, and could be significant in tipping the black vote.

Will was backstage during the speech, it was too important to miss.

Lodge rolled into the most important section.

"The principle competent of my civil right agenda is a broad, comprehensive, sweeping piece of legislation to prohibit racial discrimination in housing, business, hiring, and transportation. A strongly enforced law to end these shameful practices. That means an end to segregated buses, segregated restaurants, segregated movie theaters, segregated diners, segregated apartments, segregated gymnasiums, all of it, prohibited by law. And we'll enforce it! And if the Democrat governors don't like it, we'll send in the national guard like Ike did in 57. Justice Douglas might promise this too, but he can't deliver. He simply cannot. His party is in hoc to the Citizens Councillors and Klansmen of the most nasty sort. Look no further than his running mate, an avowed segregationist, and signatory of that nefarious southern manifesto. While Jackson is hardly a radical himself, he's all too happy to accompany himself with such snakes as Strom Thurmond, a deeply duplicitous racist. The Democratic Party cannot be trusted on civil rights, but the party of Lincoln can."

The die was cast. The campaign was gambling on a surge in the northern and black vote, at the expense of southern whites. As November approached, the campaign pivoted towards anti communism and the Cold War. With the campaign playing up Lodge's foreign policy credentials and diplomatic skill. As the Election Day approached, Lodge was portrayed as a true statesman, diplomat, and compassionate human being who was simply the perfect man to lead the United States into the 60s, as opposed to the Democratic Party, which was dominated by southern racists.

Senator Nixon spent most of his time campaigning in California and in the west at large, pinning down that region, but he appeared at major campaign stops with Lodge. President Warren was dragged out of retirement for a few stops in California, where he remains immensely popular.

Lodge spent the last week of the campaign in Michigan, Illinois, New York, and Pennsylvania, the four most important targets, and he held his final rally in Massachusetts.

Angler had put in his best. When he went to vote in Vermont, he voted straight Republican, with the exception of a few candidates for local offices who were in the pockets of the Proctors, in which case he voted Democrat.

Will voted in the morning, took a call from his campaign manager in which he was congratulated on another landslide gubernatorial victory, and took a midday car back to Boston, for results were near.

Running for Re-election as Governor
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 09:38:03 PM »

Will Angler: Activities 1960-1964 Part I

When the returns came in, the closeness of the contest was very concerning to Governor Angler. At the Senators headquarters in Boston, the group of Republicans watched in horror as a Democratic firebrand seemed poised to lock them up out of power again. They feared him as President, and they feared the end of the party as they knew it. But the late returns in Pennsylvania and Illinois vindicated Will's northern strategy. When all was said and done the Lodge/Nixon ticket won approximately 40% of the black vote nationwide. Despite a horrific performance in the South, the Republicans were back in power. Will gave President-elect Lodge his heartiest congratulations in Boston, and added some phrases to his victory speech, in which he declared that "we will uphold the values of democracy and justice at home just as vigilantly as we do abroad." With band playing the Battle Cry of Freedom at the hotel ballroom, Republicans finally rejoiced.

Now, the question was for Will what he should do. His heart longed to go back to Vermont to complete his legacy by establishing a secure fiscal future and the sound management of the new programs he had inaugurated, but everyone in Republican politics told him to go to Washington, to take a post in the cabinet or as Chief of Staff. Will very much fancied the idea of being Chief of Staff, it would put him in a position to direct the policy direction of the new administration, and balance the White House towards the left as opposed to Nixon's right. On the other hand, Josephine wasn't interested in raising their children in Washington.

Ultimately Will came to a mushy compromise solution. He'd chair of the transition team, and work on cabinet appointments, but he'd spend the first fiscal year of the administration in Montpelier working on the state budget. When a budget to his liking was passed and signed, he'd leave the state in the hands of his loyal Lieutenant Governor, who like most of the leading state GOP, was in his liberal school. It was hardly a plan that pleased the Lodge team, but it was the one most suited to Will's immediate situation.

For the cabinet, Angler used his influence to push for James P. Mitchell as Labor Secretary, longtime Republican C. Douglas Dillon for the Treasury, Christian Herter for State (a man widely supported by the Massachusetts Republican elite), Nathaniel L. Goldstein for Attorney General, and for Vermont Attorney General Robbert Stafford to be Solicitor General. Angler swore in for his third term as Governor and then went down to Washington to attend Lodge's inauguration as the 37th President of the United States. He then went back to Vermont for the work on the budget. Will pushed for establish a long structure for the funding of his new state programs and acted a policeman, threatening to veto budgets with handouts to certain legislators, or undue spending in certain areas.

Angler made few trips to the White House in '61, but he made a few, and he loudly supported the President's position, unless it was unpopular in Vermont or too conservative, in which case he would remain quiet.

When the budget was finally finished and passed, Angler did one last tour of every county in the state, gave a farewell speech in Montpelier, resigned his office, and took on appointment as President Henry Cabot Lodge Jr's Chief of Staff. Where he would be able to move the administration to the left.

Promoting Allies in Vermont State Government
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 11:07:46 PM »

Will Angler: Activities 1962

Chief of Staff Will Angler spent most of 1962 directing White House affairs, managing staff and hires, and keeping the wheels of the state running smoothly. He handled tax negotiations, legislative liaisons, executive branch staffing, and all the affairs under the direction of his office. He had executive experience, and legislative experience, but usually that involved directing chiefs of staff to carry out his directives, now he had to handle the rough and tumble administrative work himself. The clicking and clacking of typewriters, and ringing of phones, and the daily hustle and bustle of the White House became his new language.

On the domestic front, Will Angler was the immediate leader of the White House liberal camp when he arrived. Will had no love for factionalism, but it was an unavoidable reality that Vice President Nixon and his associates were far more conservative than he was, and although Will had himself pushed for Nixon as Vice President for political purposes, Will wasn't a big fan of the Californian. Fortunately, the office of the Vice Presidency wasn't exactly very powerful, but the executive branch had it's fair share of conservatives and moderates. President Lodge wasn't exactly committed to either Angler's progressive William Allen White-Ernest Gibson style Republicanism or the Vice President's Bismarckian conservatism, so factional infighting for the President's attention was inevitable. For most of 1962 it was a mixed battle. Angler agreed with the push for income tax cuts, but there were always disputes on the White House's views on specific issues. On budgeting it was the same, often broad strokes agreement, but fierce internal debate on specific content. Will constantly worked towards liberalism, but it was often not easy, and they lost more fights than they won.

At least on Cold War issues, the White House was united in their support for a strong anti-communist front.

Will knew that Cuba will be an ulcer for the new administration, but a raging civil war that that Washington was feeding was a massive headache. And as one of the President's closest advisors, that was his headache to bear as well. Will left most of that to the National Security Council, but as Chief of Staff he was partial to much of the intelligence, and accrued a great deal of foreign policy know-how. Will began working a for a direct phone line between the White House and the Kremlin, as he dealt with the bureaucracies and complications of Cold War communication.

As the campaign season began and much of the White House was off on campaign, Will and his people had the most influence in the White House. Always in contact with President Lodge, they began a renewed push for a civil rights act. They communicated with sympathetic Democrats and Republicans in Congress to write up a bill banning the kinds of private sector discrimination so prevalent in the south, and providing enforcement and other protection. Angler also had plans for voting rights. With the support of the President, they planned to make civil rights a major midterm issue. Pushing for the black and liberal vote helped in 1960, it could help in 62. The tax cuts were of course important as well, and would help for the conservative wing of the party.

Supporting Republicans Down-ballot
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies