S.20.2-17: Keeping Our Schools Safe from the Surveillance State Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:33:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-17: Keeping Our Schools Safe from the Surveillance State Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.2-17: Keeping Our Schools Safe from the Surveillance State Act (Passed)  (Read 642 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2020, 10:32:46 PM »
« edited: June 20, 2020, 02:57:53 PM by Pear Squad »

AN ACT
to improve privacy rights

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be the "Keeping Our Schools Safe from the Surveillance State Act."

Section 2 (Ban on surveillance cameras)
a. No school which receives government funding in the Southern Region may install or maintain surveillance cameras in the interior of school buildings.
b. No school which receives government funding in the Southern Region may install or maintain more than two working surveillance cameras on the exterior of school premises.
c. All surveillance cameras currently installed in Southern schools must be removed by July 1, 2021.
d. Any school district found to be in violation of this Act may be fined $5,000 for every violation.

Sponsor: MB
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »

As someone who has been in a situation where I was assaulted by bullies on school grounds, and successfully took them to court with the help of surveillance footage on the school's camera system, I fail to see how this bill is even remotely necessary other than the Governor memeing about "muhhh all surveillance is bad and violates privacy".

Surveillance cameras can also be helpful in school districts facing problems with violence and gang activity in schools.

There is no real need for this bill to exist.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »

As someone who has been in a situation where I was assaulted by bullies on school grounds, and successfully took them to court with the help of surveillance footage on the school's camera system, I fail to see how this bill is even remotely necessary other than the Governor memeing about "muhhh all surveillance is bad and violates privacy".

Surveillance cameras can also be helpful in school districts facing problems with violence and gang activity in schools.

Cameras can help in that situation, I'll admit that. But so can planting mics on every student or ankle-braceleting them to see what location they were in or bugging every hallway. It's a slippery slope.

Every student should have the right to a good education and a good education means one where they're not being constantly recorded by the school administration, with metal detectors at the gate and cameras in every hallway making it like the inside of a prison. "Crime prevention" is just an excuse to introduce a new step in the rapidly expanding surveillance state.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »

Cameras can help in that situation, I'll admit that. But so can planting mics on every student or ankle-braceleting them to see what location they were in or bugging every hallway. It's a slippery slope.

Every student should have the right to a good education and a good education means one where they're not being constantly recorded by the school administration, with metal detectors at the gate and cameras in every hallway making it like the inside of a prison. "Crime prevention" is just an excuse to introduce a new step in the rapidly expanding surveillance state.

Show me an instance where there has been a widespread push to put a mic or ankle bracelet on every student.

Students are not living in fear over surveillance cameras in their schools, and it does not in any way harm their ability to get a good education.

This bill isn't even talking about metal detectors, but from my experience entering schools that have them or knowing people who went to those schools: there's usually a very good reason for it.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 09:05:52 PM »

I'm in agreement with fhtagn, there have been many documented instances where having cameras has helped to punish students who commit acts of violence or show inappropriate behaviors
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 01:01:28 AM »

Students who go to schools with cameras increasingly put a lack of trust in their schools and cameras also create the feeling of an invasion of privacy - both for students and for teachers.

Students who go to schools with heavy surveillance actually have a moderate decrease in their academic performance. Maybe just maybe because it creates the feeling of a prison? Where your every move is being watched?

The difference between cameras in school and a place like say, Target is that 1) school is a required place to go, nobody is forcing anybody to go to Target. For a legal requirement it should at least come with a modest expectation of privacy. The excessive punishment systems that many schools use are in fact a violation of constitutional rights in many cases. 2) a store or restaurant has one main goal: to make money. Of course they'd use many different methods to make sure they don't lose money including setting up cameras to deter shoplifters. The goal of a school should be to provide an education. Nobody needs a camera to get a good education.

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 10:35:55 AM »

While I can see the Governor's POV for introducing this bill, I support an amendment to this legislation as I believe that common areas should be monitored as that is likely when the most disruption can happen. Bullying is prevalent in schools and sometimes it goes unnoticed. With surveillance cameras it avoids the he/she said and provides clear context and evidence for disciplinary actions to be taken.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 08:38:17 AM »

...I support an amendment to this legislation...

You can put forward an amendment in that regard. It may help stimulate debate, however considering most of this session it is unlikely.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 08:45:19 AM »

...I support an amendment to this legislation...

You can put forward an amendment in that regard. It may help stimulate debate, however considering most of this session it is unlikely.
so death, taxes, and insufficient activity in the Chamber are the three guaranteed things in life? Tongue
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »

Worth noting as well at if the chamber limits the number of outdoor cameras to 2, it also poses a safety risk in schools that have multiple entrances and exits, especially in situations like a school shooting, where anything collected by surveillance footage at entrances/exits would be necessary and valuable.

Might also be better to just say that surveillance cameras may not be installed in classrooms, bathrooms, and locker rooms, as that is a bit more clear of where is acceptable to put cameras and there is less confusion on what is considered a common area.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 02:17:11 PM »

Worth noting as well at if the chamber limits the number of outdoor cameras to 2, it also poses a safety risk in schools that have multiple entrances and exits, especially in situations like a school shooting, where anything collected by surveillance footage at entrances/exits would be necessary and valuable.

Might also be better to just say that surveillance cameras may not be installed in classrooms, bathrooms, and locker rooms, as that is a bit more clear of where is acceptable to put cameras and there is less confusion on what is considered a common area.

Amended.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 10:03:43 PM »

Now motioning for a final vote. Objections are heard within 24 hours.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 05:54:05 AM »

Your amended version still opens the door for lack of clarity on what is considered a "common area". 

A suggestion if anyone is willing to sponsor this version:

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be the "Keeping Our Schools Safe from the Surveillance State Act."

Section 2 (Provisions)
a. Schools may not install cameras in classrooms, school counselor offices, bathrooms, locker rooms, or any other designated changing or privacy area. Cameras may only be installed in common areas, which include, but are not limited to hallways, auditoriums, the main office, entrances and exits of the building, gymnasiums, and the cafeteria.
b. Surveillance cameras may be installed in outdoor common areas such as playgrounds, parking lots, athletic fields, and at exits and entrances to the schools.
c. All surveillance cameras currently installed in Southern schools must be removed by July 1, 2021.
d. Any school district found to be in violation of this Act may be fined $5,000 for every violation.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 09:02:30 AM »

Your amended version still opens the door for lack of clarity on what is considered a "common area". 

A suggestion if anyone is willing to sponsor this version:

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

Section 2 (Provisions)
a. Schools may not install cameras in classrooms, school counselor offices, bathrooms, locker rooms, or any other designated changing or privacy area. Cameras may only be installed in common areas, which include, but are not limited to hallways, auditoriums, the main office, entrances and exits of the building, gymnasiums, and the cafeteria.
b. Surveillance cameras may be installed in outdoor common areas such as playgrounds, parking lots, athletic fields, and at exits and entrances to the schools.

I move to sponsor
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 03:41:47 PM »

Again bringing this bill to a vote within 24 hours if there are no objections.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »

Voting has started and shall last for 48 hours.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 10:27:44 PM »

Nay
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 10:58:54 PM »

Aye
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 11:59:09 PM »

Aye
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2020, 12:57:41 AM »

Nay
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2020, 02:45:25 PM »

Aye
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2020, 02:57:39 PM »

Voting has closed as all member have voted. This bill passes 3-2.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies