Byzantine Empire or Eastern Roman Empire? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:12:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Byzantine Empire or Eastern Roman Empire? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Byzantine Empire or Eastern Roman Empire?
Byzantine Empire

Eastern Roman Empire

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Byzantine Empire or Eastern Roman Empire?  (Read 2202 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 07, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »

I would say Eastern Roman Empire until 635. Didn't Latin stop being a linga fraca then? Byzantine was a name made up after the fact by a 100 years. So I guess I would just have considered them the Greek Empire after Heraclius.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 09:47:21 AM »

They called themselves the Roman Empire, from what I understand.

The descendants of the refugees of the last "Roman" lands to be seized from "Rome" still call themselves "Romans" in Greece and Southern Italy to this day.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 10:09:40 AM »

If I was writing something formal, I would just call them the Roman Empire, or Eastern Roman Empire if I really need to be specific. Although to be fair, I usually just call them the Byzantine Empire because it's what everyone else calls them.

Why would it be the Eastern Roman Empire when it didn't even include Rome?

Rome (the city) stopped being the most important city in the Roman Empire long before it split up.

I would say Eastern Roman Empire until 635. Didn't Latin stop being a linga fraca then? Byzantine was a name made up after the fact by a 100 years. So I guess I would just have considered them the Greek Empire after Heraclius.

They spoke Greek, but they did not identify themselves as "Greek" so calling them that is just as ahistorical as Byzantine.

Weren't they internationally recognized as "Greek" at least after Empress Irene?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 12:07:51 PM »

This video shows very good arguments to say that the correct is "Eastern Roman Empire" and not "Byzantine Empire" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9sg2XKuuo

I like Maiorianus as a channel. I discovered it while I was on vacation and binged most of the videos released to this point. This last video is pretty good obviously.

There is also a video emphasizing that the real "collapse of Rome" for the city of Rome anyway, was during the period between 530-600, not 476.

According to Maiorianus, Rome could have gone the way of Medieval China had the Eastern Roman Empire tried to mend fences with the Goths over some high profile executions in the 520s. There could have been a situation where Justianian still took control back over Carthage and Tingus, but let Visigoths and Ostrogoths unite, as Theoderic intended, and form a German dynasty of Rome in the same way that the Chinese kept their nation united by accepting the Qing dynasty until a native dynasty could retake the throne.

Maybe there would have been a German Roman Empire and a Greek Roman Empire. Which, actually, is kind of what happened in real life but maybe in a closer relationship and without the infighting and wholesale destruction of society, the two empires wouldn't have been reduced to a 50-50 combination of unclaimed territory and portion of the  Northern frontier in the West and Greece and Western Asia minor in the East.

The Italic wars were a mistake. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies