MI-EPIC/MRA: Peters with an EPIC 15 point lead over John James
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Senate & House Election Polls
  MI-EPIC/MRA: Peters with an EPIC 15 point lead over John James
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-EPIC/MRA: Peters with an EPIC 15 point lead over John James  (Read 1260 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2020, 06:43:51 AM »

Peters: 51%
James: 36%

https://www.wlns.com/news/michigan/poll-shows-peters-with-large-lead-over-james-for-michigans-senate-seat/
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:39:32 AM »

Likely D at this point.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 08:07:02 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2020, 08:10:24 AM by Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More »

I am beginning to think that even if Trump's reputation with being "a money guy" ends up saving him, enough people are now totally on board with Congress needing to be a " check" on his power. This was his best chance at gaining in the senate and I think polls like these are enough to foreclose on that opportunity outside of Alabama.

At this point, it would take a small landslide for him to gain here and not lose anywhere else and a close but convincing election would only be enough to tie or lose one seat. Any loss but a questionable one by Trump at this point probably narrowly ends Republican rule in the senate. 

In reality, any Democratic wave could start on a need to restrain Trump's power even before Trump's fate is sealed. Without that, no matter how statistically possible and situationally logical it looks, no one is going to narrowly elect Biden president when he is already a lame duck on day 1. You could say "sure they can. Look at HW." But HW was really running as a continuation of the Reagan WH. Biden is no more running as Obama's third term as Nixon was Eisenhower's in 1968.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »

Clearly a tossup.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »

RIP SN2903.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »

Lean D -> Likely D.

Still (just about) lean D in the presidential race.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »

Can't beat the 🅱️eters.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »

JoHn jAmeS iS A gOoD cAnDiDate.

I am beginning to think that even if Trump's reputation with being "a money guy" ends up saving him, enough people are now totally on board with Congress needing to be a " check" on his power. This was his best chance at gaining in the senate and I think polls like these are enough to foreclose on that opportunity outside of Alabama.

Who the hell still thinks Trump is “a money guy?” I hope this has been enough to ensure this country never again elects someone on the premise that “good with business = good president.” And Trump is a terrible businessman anyway.

I disagree with your premise anyway that people will sooner vote for a Democratic senate candidate in backlash to Trump than they will vote directly against him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 03:00:52 PM »

A lot of posters have let John James biography cloud their judgement while ignoring his complete lack of experience at a state wide level all while also forgetting that Peters has won multiple elections in Michigan & is liked as a senator.

You have to be either disliked, incompetent or out of line with your state to lose as a sitting senator- especially against someone who has never held elected office.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 06:25:01 PM »

Rising star? More like a supernova.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 07:58:15 PM »

I'd move this Senate race to at least Likely D (and I could make a strong argument for why it should be Safe D. John James isn't that good of a candidate).

That said, if Biden wins, I wouldn't be shocked if Gretchen Whitmer loses in 2022, or if Debbie Stabenow has real problems winning in her reelection bid in 2024.

Michigan is a swing state now, it's just Republicans failed to get a strong candidate here. Someone like Fred Upton probably would have won.

Hell, Justin Amash probably would have made this race competitive had he decided to run (as a Republican, of course.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »

JoHn jAmeS iS A gOoD cAnDiDate.

Who the hell still thinks Trump is “a money guy?” I hope this has been enough to ensure this country never again elects someone on the premise that “good with business = good president.” And Trump is a terrible businessman anyway.

I disagree with your premise anyway that people will sooner vote for a Democratic senate candidate in backlash to Trump than they will vote directly against him.

Thats where Trump gets his best marks.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 08:47:38 PM »

Trump is a horrific businessman. He is good at selling his brand, which helps him with being a reality star and a candidate, but when it comes to any actual product/program/institution he has the reverse Midas touch.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 12:50:19 AM »

While I expect this to tighten, it’s looking like even a late bump for James will be too little, too late.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »

New Poll: Michigan Senator by EPIC/MRA on 2020-06-03

Summary: D: 51%, R: 36%, U: 13%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »