SevenEleven: A New Perspective
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:02:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SevenEleven: A New Perspective
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SevenEleven: A New Perspective  (Read 1111 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2020, 03:23:31 AM »

I'm SevenEleven and I am your candidate for the House of Representatives. I stand before you to offer A New Perspective. Over the past couple months it has become clear to me that the current structure is not working. I am here to change that. With your support, we can give a voice to the unheard.

Many Representatives cannot be bothered to vote on legislation. Debates have grown stale and non-inclusive. Priorities are unaligned with common interests. As Representative, I will serve dutifully and ensure that your voice is heard.

The Representatives who actually showed up to vote on recent legislation passed a bill to eliminate the use of race or gender as factor in college admissions. This unprecedented attack on HBCUs and women's universities is reckless and unnerving. Not only were some of our most precious schools subject to crippling political instruction, not a single member deemed these universities worthy of consideration in the debate process.

The Senate is currently considering a devastating immigration reform bill that is simultaneously bad for native workers and immigrants alike. If elected, I will do all that I can to prevent these misguided policies from becoming law of the land.

My promise to you: if elected, I will protect the environment, promote economic security for all, support education and civic engagement, guarantee human rights at home and abroad, and provide a voice to all who are marginalized, downtrodden, or otherwise ignored or overlooked. Together, we can be the difference.

Hopefully I can earn your vote and bring A New Perspective to the House of Representatives. Thank you for your time.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 06:34:54 AM »

As someone who is against affirmative action (even if I plan to vote against it because I believe it is a regional issue), how is it an attack on HBCUs and women's universities? (then again I'd argue HBCU's have outlived their purpose and women's universities should not exist).

Also, since I am the main sponsor of that immigration bill in the Senate, could you elaborate on why it is bad for native workers and immigrants? Tongue

Finally why the move to a new party and why the Spanish name? (especially such a boring name unless it is some sort of placeholder)
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »

The Representatives who actually showed up to vote on recent legislation passed a bill to eliminate the use of race or gender as factor in college admissions. This unprecedented attack on HBCUs and women's universities is reckless and unnerving. Not only were some of our most precious schools subject to crippling political instruction, not a single member deemed these universities worthy of consideration in the debate process.

I'm the only sitting representative who voted Nay on that bill. Wink Wink
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 01:20:44 PM »

As someone who is against affirmative action (even if I plan to vote against it because I believe it is a regional issue), how is it an attack on HBCUs and women's universities? (then again I'd argue HBCU's have outlived their purpose and women's universities should not exist).

Is it not obvious that eliminating the use of race or gender as an admissions factor has serious consequences for the existence of these schools?

Also, since I am the main sponsor of that immigration bill in the Senate, could you elaborate on why it is bad for native workers and immigrants? Tongue

Restricting immigration to a largely educated and wealthy group reduces wages for those who are fortunate enough to take one of the few paths to success left in this country: getting an education and gaining technical skills that are highly valuable. Meanwhile, you are almost entirely eliminating workforce growth in several important industries: agriculture, hospitality, food processing, textiles, construction, personal care and child care. These industries are currently supported with between 20 and 40% of workers being foreign born. Attempting to repeal the diversity lottery and Come Out of the Shadows program is simply wrong.

Finally why the move to a new party and why the Spanish name? (especially such a boring name unless it is some sort of placeholder)

The Labor leadership did not want to support my candidacy. Therefore, it seemed wrong to submit this candidacy against the wishes of the Labor Party as a member of the Labor Party.

The name is intentionally generic. "Independent" doesn't resonate with me and the Labor Party is the only major party that is a good fit for me, so I figured this quixotic campaign could use a little sauce.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 02:20:41 PM »

Is it not obvious that eliminating the use of race or gender as an admissions factor has serious consequences for the existence of these schools?
Ok but the applicant pools for these schools are highly self selecting. I doubt we're gonna see waves of white Karens try to get into Howard U if this act is passed. Likewise for males applying to historically female schools - like, who's gonna want to do that?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 02:29:18 PM »

Ok but the applicant pools for these schools are highly self selecting. I doubt we're gonna see waves of white Karens try to get into Howard U if this act is passed. Likewise for males applying to historically female schools - like, who's gonna want to do that?

"It might not even happen" is not a serious argument. As it is, my opposition to the bill is based on its complete merits. I only pointed out the issue regarding these specific schools because I found the lack of consideration startling and quite telling. I will stand up for what is right and bring a new perspective to the House of Representatives.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 04:15:52 PM »

Hopefully you last longer than Enlightened Centrist
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 05:02:02 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2020, 05:12:45 PM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

I will say that going against Labor and attacking the party is most certainly not a smart idea. In fact it is something that may single handedly kill your own Atlasian political career before it even starts.

For better or worse, what parties want are people who are "stable", predictable and do not attack their own party. If you want to kill your own political career, the best thing you can do is start attacking Labor and take us as your enemy and not as your friends.

It is close to impossible to be elected without the support of a major party. I actually learned that lesson the hard way.

Ironically, once in office you can vote whichever way you want (within reason), and being formally whipped for votes is something that rarely if ever happens. Really you can have the views you want as long as you do not publicly attack the party and as long as you vote for the Labor candidates in general elections (again I learned it the hard way, voting for Federalist tmth cost me 2 months in the Senate and could have costed me my entire term and possibly even more)

Regarding a House candidacy I believe our slate of candidates was already full, though if there had been a vacancy or a regional election upcoming you may have been picked. In any case I do hope and think you will be picked for when a vacancy arises but something like this is bad for your career.

PSOL might be the highest profile example of this, as he has become completely unelectable.

In any case it is certainly not too late to fix this and I encourage you to talk to the Labor leadership regarding a future candidacy. Coordination is key into getting elected. I hope to see you in an elected position soon Smiley
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 05:11:38 PM »

I haven't attacked any party or party members, as far as I can tell. I don't understand where you are coming from with this.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »

I haven't attacked any party or party members, as far as I can tell. I don't understand where you are coming from with this.

Oh ok nvm then
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 06:01:06 PM »

I will say that going against Labor and attacking the party is most certainly not a smart idea. In fact it is something that may single handedly kill your own Atlasian political career before it even starts.

For better or worse, what parties want are people who are "stable", predictable and do not attack their own party. If you want to kill your own political career, the best thing you can do is start attacking Labor and take us as your enemy and not as your friends.
Wait, so taking a stand and calling out those who oppose affirmative action = killing your political career in Labor? Sev didn't even mention Labor in his first post, nor any specific member. This is such nonsense and hopefully the rest of Labor won't punish someone for expressing their views, especially on something like this, where Sev has the "mainstream position" of the left.

I'm not a Laborite so parts of this back-and-forth don't apply to me, but I do support affirmative action and it's role in college admissions, and am surprised to see this opposition to it. In RL, what would kill a Laborites career is opposing affirmative action, so you'd be the one without a job soon!

Also, endorsed for a high preference, Sev! It is great seeing new folks get involved and it is clear you've done your homework. Smiley
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 07:20:48 PM »

Wait, so taking a stand and calling out those who oppose affirmative action = killing your political career in Labor? Sev didn't even mention Labor in his first post, nor any specific member. This is such nonsense and hopefully the rest of Labor won't punish someone for expressing their views, especially on something like this, where Sev has the "mainstream position" of the left.

No, I wrongly interpreted his very last statement about running without the support of the party as an attack on the party for some reason and really feared SevenEleven killing his career before it even started. I do apologize for jumping to conculsions too easily, but it should all be good now. I do think you misinterpreted my statement but anyways.

In any case, as I said Labor is a "big tent" party and there are a wide variety of views within it. Nobody will be expelled or anything for having views different from the rest of the party (within reason of course; a nazi would never be accepted in the party for instance).

Indeed affirmative action is interestingly one of the policies where the party is more prominently divided, alongside gun control; and indeed I am in the minority on the AA issue while Sev has the "mainstream" position. In any case, holding different views in one or several issues and voting accordingly in Congress is perfectly natural and acceptable.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 10:25:32 PM »

Thank you for the kind words.

I felt compelled to stand in this election because I recognize a myriad of crucial challenges that will determine the future of our nation. We are approaching a crossroads where our lack of action today can spell peril for our posterity. Climate change, technological advancements and automation, shifting geopolitic realities and complex global trade networks present opportunities for a brighter tomorrow should we make the correct decisions today. The ongoing pandemic highlights the frailty of "old-way" thinking. Some conventions and institutions once held dear are no longer sufficient, so I present A New Perspective.

Our status among world powers is bolstered by a unique advantage: our diversity. Together, we share the broadest collection of communities the world has ever seen. We are a nation of immigrants, a collage of the best and brightest pieced together by our shared values. I believe we need to bring more immigrants into our society. Faced with declining birth rates, we can improve our collective economic society by allowing more people to come here to work, go to school, and share our dreams. A novel idea presented in the House recently is a guaranteed income. Another bill seeks to strengthen our Social Security programs. We will not be able to pursue these possibilities with a declining workforce.

A numerically declining workforce is not the only problem on the horizon. An education system hindered by "old-way" thinking threatens our economic future. We need to revamp and modernize our education system to generate a population that will remain competitive globally. With the resources available to us today, we can make the changes needed for a better tomorrow. I support the construction of more schools and universities and expanding access to higher education, specialized training, and trade schools. A broader and more modern education system will equip us with the tools to weather any challenges we may face in the coming decades.

With your vote, we can move one step closer to a brighter future!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 10:34:44 PM »

Danger! Asteroid microchip malfunction. Danger! Asteroid will collide with Earth.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 10:40:20 PM »

Endorsed!
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 10:48:42 PM »

Endorsed.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 10:54:24 PM »

Wow, thanks guys!
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 01:36:23 AM »

Endorsed for first pref. One of the best new posters on here in general.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 10:58:11 PM »

Endorsed! As your slogan says, I think you'll bring a valuable new perspective.

With what you said about Labor, now that there is a newfound vacancy in our slate I think you should be part of our full slate after all (the full slate will be cleared up pretty soon, in particular with our convention endorsement votes). While most newbies start at regional government first before going to the House, we were treating that convention a bit too rigidly and it's worth seeing how you do. Good on you for putting yourself forward and returning to Labor, I'm excited to see how you do.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 11:50:41 PM »

With what you said about Labor, now that there is a newfound vacancy in our slate I think you should be part of our full slate after all (the full slate will be cleared up pretty soon, in particular with our convention endorsement votes). While most newbies start at regional government first before going to the House, we were treating that convention a bit too rigidly and it's worth seeing how you do. Good on you for putting yourself forward and returning to Labor, I'm excited to see how you do.
Are you f•••ing serious rn?
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 11:56:41 PM »

He kissed the ring, so now Labor trusts him with a house seat.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 12:05:48 AM »

Excuse me, what is this supposed to mean?
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2020, 12:29:47 AM »

Excuse me, what is this supposed to mean?
>You tell Labor you're interested in running for house
>They say no
>You leave Labor and declare a house candidacy anyway
>You get the talk from prominent Laborites about how being loyal to the party is more important than anything
>You return to Labor
>You get endorsements from prominent Laborites

The last two points are what I mean.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 12:39:53 AM »

How are you still surprised that Labor would rather run mainstream centre-leftists than a quirky anti-establishment far-leftist.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 12:45:36 AM »

How are you still surprised that Labor would rather run mainstream centre-leftists than a quirky anti-establishment far-leftist.
Seven Eleven did criticize Labor for not being left wing enough though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies