GOP Sen. Murkowski is "struggling" on whether to support Trump in November
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:47:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  GOP Sen. Murkowski is "struggling" on whether to support Trump in November
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: GOP Sen. Murkowski is "struggling" on whether to support Trump in November  (Read 2961 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »

She's basically Susan Collins' sister
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »

I have lost faifth in Murkowski to some degree. She's willing to buck her party of medicare and Kavanaugh, but not on Trump, the most glaring root of thee problems.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2020, 09:13:40 PM »

When people in your party are terrible and you come out publicly that you're "struggling" that means you are unable to bring yourself to condemn objectively bad leadership or behavior and are merely trying to make yourself look better.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2020, 10:07:23 PM »

Looks like the coward Donald Trump wants to help her make up her mind:
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2020, 10:17:53 PM »

Her primary isn't until 2022. This is a solid bet by Murkowski that Trump won't be re-elected & will become a social pariah once his "winner" facade is dismantled.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2020, 10:26:25 PM »

Her primary isn't until 2022. This is a solid bet by Murkowski that Trump won't be re-elected & will become a social pariah once his "winner" facade is dismantled.
If Trump wins, she’s probably DOA in the primary
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »

She is one of the last people who should be scared of a primary.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 10:32:32 PM »

Yeah, Murkowski looks at the concept of a primary & laughs.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2020, 10:41:48 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Murkowski

Why would one think Lisa Murkowski is for them?

She's for herself.  Always has been.  Just read this bio and tell me if she has a single populist thought.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:32 PM »

Yeah, Murkowski looks at the concept of a primary & laughs.

She was hardly safe in either of those races and might fare worse today thanks to subsequent changes in both the Republican Party and the wider electorate. She’s a mordiavle incumbent, but let’s not overstate it.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »

What about Collins? If Collins goes, she'll go.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 10:49:15 PM »

lmao
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 10:51:06 PM »

We’re not hearing Collins’ opinions until July 14, when her nomination will be secured after seeing off conservative challenger Amy Colter. After that, it may well be concern trolling right up until the GE if her position is as bad as polls suggest.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2020, 10:59:22 PM »

She's rightly getting mocked, but I'm still going to hope that she ultimately votes against Trump
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »

I feel like moderate republicans get way too much hate here and everywhere else.  She's stuck in a crappy situation.  At least she's saying something, which is more than even retiring "well respected" senators like Lamar Alexander have done.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2020, 11:47:49 PM »

I feel like moderate republicans get way too much hate here and everywhere else.  She's stuck in a crappy situation.  At least she's saying something, which is more than even retiring "well respected" senators like Lamar Alexander have done.
It shouldn't be hard to denounce Trump outright, if she agrees with Mattis. Also, she had a chance to hold Trump's feet to the fire in January and DIDN'T do anything. She can save the outrage.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2020, 11:55:20 PM »

Collins says she "isn't going to get involved" in the presidential race, and in fact, won't even say how she voted in Maine's primary:

Also, Susan Collins says she voted absentee in Maine’s primary last month, but won’t say whether she voted for Trump:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/susan-collins-wont-say-trump-vote-primary_n_5e5bb6e3c5b60102211260f6

Collins said she voted by absentee ballot ahead of Maine’s March 3 primary, but didn’t say whether she cast her ballot for Trump. The president is the only candidate listed on Maine’s Republican primary ballot this year, along with the option to write in another name.

Though she wrote an op-ed bashing Trump three months before the 2016 election, Collins said she isn’t going to “get involved in presidential politics” this time around.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2020, 11:58:51 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2020, 12:03:03 AM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

It shouldn't be hard to denounce Trump outright, if she agrees with Mattis. Also, she had a chance to hold Trump's feet to the fire in January and DIDN'T do anything. She can save the outrage.
It only seems "not hard" to you because you don't have a lengthy career in politics and don't have a mindset geared towards properly assessing the dilemmas politicians face every day in how they operate.
With all due respect, you cannot really speak with complete certainty as to how easy or hard it is for Murkowski to do certain things. You can't speak from experience. Neither can I. But at least I acknowledge that for her to have gone this far, she has to have had some competence at this, and thus her instincts should be trusted.
Murkowski's political fortunes do not depend on how this site sees her, they depend on how she navigates the states' political scene.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2020, 12:01:18 AM »

What she’s saying is that she might well still end up willingly backing a president who she believes to be a threat to our constitutional order. I suppose that counts as saying “something.” I just reject the notion that it’s a good something.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2020, 01:40:11 AM »

It only seems "not hard" to you because you don't have a lengthy career in politics and don't have a mindset geared towards properly assessing the dilemmas politicians face every day in how they operate.
With all due respect, you cannot really speak with complete certainty as to how easy or hard it is for Murkowski to do certain things. You can't speak from experience. Neither can I. But at least I acknowledge that for her to have gone this far, she has to have had some competence at this, and thus her instincts should be trusted.
Murkowski's political fortunes do not depend on how this site sees her, they depend on how she navigates the states' political scene.

Many on here do seem to forget Murkowski's refusal to vote for Kavanaugh back in 2018. However, I also think that if Murkowski was truly "struggling" with whether to support Trump, she would have at least voted for witnesses. As it was, she did not, and she was ultimately upstaged by Mitt Romney with the impeachment process.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2020, 03:50:55 AM »

She's for herself.  Always has been.  Just read this bio and tell me if she has a single populist thought.

You think Trump is for you so one would think your bar for that is pretty low. Tongue
Unimog
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.00, S: -2.00

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2020, 04:09:44 AM »

The actions speaks louder than the word.

So?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »

You think Trump is for you so one would think your bar for that is pretty low. Tongue

Trump's got enough moxie and grit that he would have been something even if his Dad wasn't rich.

Murkowski's only a Senator because her Dad looked the great state of Alaska over and saw her as the best the Last Frontier had to offer.  (Frank Murkowski got elected to the Senate, and then to the Governor's mansion, because he was one of the richest men in Alaska.)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2020, 09:29:23 PM »

Trump's got enough moxie and grit that he would have been something even if his Dad wasn't rich.

Murkowski's only a Senator because her Dad looked the great state of Alaska over and saw her as the best the Last Frontier had to offer.  (Frank Murkowski got elected to the Senate, and then to the Governor's mansion, because he was one of the richest men in Alaska.)

Trump would be in poverty if he wasn't born rich, he's a complete dolt
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2020, 09:36:14 PM »

Trump would be in poverty if he wasn't born rich, he's a complete dolt

Complete dolts don't win the Presidency by achieving a Hostile Takeover of the GOP the way Trump did.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies