NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:45:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats  (Read 3955 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »

I did not find any information that these Democrats formed a coalition with the Republicans, and in Wikipedia it is the Democrat who is listed as the Majority Leader. I am very sorry that the Democrats, looking at Trump, are doing the same (alienating moderate voters, moving far to the left). I hope that the Democratic Party will lose all these races in November and understand its mistakes. I hope that Joe Biden will return bipartisanship and moderate politics to the Democratic Party.

Also (don't belongs to this topic), I will miss you, Dan Lipinski, you were very, very good Congressman

Conservative Democrats = “I hope progressive Democrats who won their primary fair and square loss their elections to Republicans!”

Also Conservative Democrats = “How DARE you critique our lord and savior Joe Biden?! Even one criticism of Joe Biden might as well be a vote for TRUMP!”

Unamused

I don't think it's better to have a Republican in Congress than a progressive Democrat (but not like Tlaib or Omar - Generic Republican is better than them). I hope they lose because then maybe Democratic voters will finally understand that moderate voters cannot be ignored. The Democratic Party should be for everyone, but more and more it looks like it is only for the ultra-left

What reality do you live in. It’s the exact opposite.

You deny, that ultra-left has bigger and bigger influence in the party with every passing year? Not even funny..... 50 years ago it was impossible to fathom someone like Ilhan Omar to be a Congresswoman. Even Phil Burton looks to be "ultraconservative" in comparison.

Sure, people were even bigger racist dickbags back then. Ilhan Omar is an amazing congresswoman in my opinion, and I proudly support her.

But I’d rather this not become a discussion about Ilhan. Your opinion and others are already known.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2020, 01:32:53 PM »

I did not find any information that these Democrats formed a coalition with the Republicans, and in Wikipedia it is the Democrat who is listed as the Majority Leader. I am very sorry that the Democrats, looking at Trump, are doing the same (alienating moderate voters, moving far to the left). I hope that the Democratic Party will lose all these races in November and understand its mistakes. I hope that Joe Biden will return bipartisanship and moderate politics to the Democratic Party.

Also (don't belongs to this topic), I will miss you, Dan Lipinski, you were very, very good Congressman

Conservative Democrats = “I hope progressive Democrats who won their primary fair and square loss their elections to Republicans!”

Also Conservative Democrats = “How DARE you critique our lord and savior Joe Biden?! Even one criticism of Joe Biden might as well be a vote for TRUMP!”

Unamused

I don't think it's better to have a Republican in Congress than a progressive Democrat (but not like Tlaib or Omar - Generic Republican is better than them). I hope they lose because then maybe Democratic voters will finally understand that moderate voters cannot be ignored. The Democratic Party should be for everyone, but more and more it looks like it is only for the ultra-left

Congressional Progressive Caucus has 95 members in House of Representatives, while Blue Dog Coalition has 25 members. Great Representative Dan Lipinski lost his primary to left-wing Marie Newman, Henry Cuellar almost lost his primary to 27-year old, inexperienced Jessica Cisneroc. Many of state senators and representatives was in danger of losing or lost their seats because of their moderate voting record. How is it exact opposite?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »

Unamused

You deny, that ultra-left has bigger and bigger influence in the party with every passing year? Not even funny.....

Larger influence? Sure, but even then it’s only comparing to the ultra-moderate / establishment domination of the Democratic Party in the 80’s and particularly the 90’s that progressive influence has begun to grow, and even then only in the latter half of the 2000’s.

For the better, I might add. But that’s a different conversation.

To suggest Moderate’s are being ‘silenced’ is ridiculous with Joe Biden as the nominee, Hillary Clinton and Obama (a former New Democrat aligned Democrat himself) as our former nominee’s and the New Democrats still being the largest caucus in the party.

Get a grip. Y’all are doing the silencing, not being silenced, lmao.

Biden, Hillary and Obama - moderates?Huh Even more funny. Moderates are people like Manchin or Sinema. Hillary, Obama and Biden are SOLID establishment liberals, and no less.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2020, 01:37:31 PM »

Unamused

You deny, that ultra-left has bigger and bigger influence in the party with every passing year? Not even funny.....

Larger influence? Sure, but even then it’s only comparing to the ultra-moderate / establishment domination of the Democratic Party in the 80’s and particularly the 90’s that progressive influence has begun to grow, and even then only in the latter half of the 2000’s.

To suggest Moderate’s are being ‘silenced’ is ridiculous with Joe Biden as the nominee, Hillary Clinton and Obama (a former New Democrat aligned Democrat himself) as our former nominee’s and the New Democrats still being the largest caucus in the party.

Biden, Hillary and Obama - moderates?Huh Even more funny. Moderates are people like Manchin or Sinema. Hillary, Obama and Biden are SOLID establishment liberals, and no less.

If you want to look at the ‘factions’ of the Democratic Party like this;

Progressive / Liberal / Moderate / Conservative, then I can somewhat understand your opinion if you’re on the Conservative side of that spectrum. I’m also very happy y’all are declining in influence vis a vis the progressive side, but I can understand. But you had decades of domination as one of the largest factions in our party, and now things are changing. Suck it up and ally yourselves with the moderates (still the largest faction in the party) or go become Republicans like the rest of your Dixiecrat brethren. Idk what to tell you. If we have our way, this will be a center-left to left wing party, and I don’t apologize for that.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »

Unamused

If you think Biden, Hillary and Obama are moderates, then of course there is room for moderates in the Democratic Party. But in reality, they are solid liberal politicians. Joe Biden is, probably, the most left-wing major party presidential nominee in US history. But if they are moderate, then who are JBE, Collin Peterson, Joe Manchin, Dan Lipinski? DINOs? Standard Republicans?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2020, 01:40:19 PM »

Unamused

Progressive / Liberal / Moderate / Conservative, then I can somewhat understand your opinion if you’re on the Conservative side of that spectrum. I’m also very happy y’all are declining in influence vis a vis the progressive side, but I can understand. But you had decades of domination as one of the largest factions in our party, and now things are changing. Suck it up and ally yourselves with the moderates (still the largest faction in the party) or go become Republicans like the rest of your Dixiecrat brethren. Idk what to tell you. If we have our way, this will be a center-left to left wing party, and I don’t apologize for that.

I hope you will never have your way. And, BTW, do you really think i need somebody's advices?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 01:41:06 PM »

Unamused

If you think Biden, Hillary and Obama are moderates, then of course there is room for moderates in the Democratic Party. But in reality, they are solid liberal politicians. Joe Biden is, probably, the most left-wing major party presidential nominee in US history. But if they are moderate, then who are JBE, Collin Peterson, Joe Manchin, Dan Lipinski? DINOs? Standard Republicans?

They are considered, both by the general public and themselves, to be 'Conservative Democrats'.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »

Unamused

For present day "activists" - exactly that. And they will rather lose with "bold progressive" then win with Manchin or JBE...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 01:43:25 PM »

Unamused

They are considered, both by the general public and themselves, to be 'Conservative Democrats'.

Conservative Democrats were people like Ralph and Sam Hall or Dan Daniel. You say Manchin votes the same way? Or even like Dan Boren?Huh
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2020, 01:43:41 PM »

Unamused

I hope you will never have your way. And, BTW, do you really think i need somebody's advices?

If you’re so unhappy with the way the party is going, then leave. Idk what to tell you. Us progressives aren’t ever going to shut up or sit down when it comes to fighting for what we believe in, and the young generation is with us.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »

Unamused

Moderates almost never dominated in Democratic Party. FDR. He was moderate or progressive? He was progressive, but moderate by today's standards. LBJ? He was moderate or progressive? (Only as President) He was progressive, but moderate by today's standards. Even Barack Obama. He was progressive, but he is moderate by today's standards
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2020, 01:45:03 PM »

Unamused

If you’re so unhappy with the way the party is going, then leave. Idk what to tell you. Us progressives aren’t ever going to shut up or sit down when it comes to fighting for what we believe in, and the young generation is with us.
"Blessed are ..... true believers")))))))
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »

Unamused

Conservative Democrats were people like Ralph and Sam Hall or Dan Daniel. You say Manchin votes the same way?

Im saying that Manchin calls himself a 'Conservative Democrat', the political world considers him a 'Conservative Democrat', and his positions are on the 'Conservative' end of the 'Democratic Party'.

If you have a problem with that, bring it up with Manchin.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »

*Centrist/Conservative Democrat defeats Progressive in primary* "Don't be so unreasonable, you want the Republicans/Trump to win just to 'send a message'!? Just because your candidate didn't win doesn't mean you're being 'excluded.' We need to work together, so unite behind the Democrat."

*Progressive defeats Centrist/Conservative Democrat* "How dare Democrats move (relatively/even slightly) to the left! They're excluding me! I'm voting Republican to send them a message!"
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »

Unamused

Moderates almost never dominated in Democratic Party. FDR. He was moderate or progressive? He was progressive, but moderate by today's standards. LBJ? He was moderate or progressive? (Only as President) He was progressive, but moderate by today's standards. Even Barack Obama. He was progressive, but he is moderate by today's standards

FDR and LBJ, both of whom wanted to establish national health care systems, were neither moderates. FDR was a progressive in my opinion, and LBJ was an establishment Liberal, but of course both are also the products of their time. And you’re trying to tell me Southern Dixiecrats weren’t a powerful force in the party, particularly in Congress, constantly holding up their progressive agendas’s? I’m glad Dixiecrats like you have gone from a powerful force to a pipsqueak, sorry not sorry.

Moderates still control this party. And yes both Biden and Hillary are moderates. Hillary didn’t even support a public option FFS.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »

Unamused

Conservative Democrats were people like Ralph and Sam Hall or Dan Daniel. You say Manchin votes the same way?

Im saying that Manchin calls himself a 'Conservative Democrat', the political world considers him a 'Conservative Democrat', and his positions are on the 'Conservative' end of the 'Democratic Party'.

If you have a problem with that, bring it up with Manchin.

I would understand "relatively conservative", but - no more. There is very simple criterion - ratings from "ideologically pure" organizations like ADA and ACU . If you get about 50 from BOTH of them - you are moderate. If you get 80 ADA and 10 ACU - you are solid liberal. If 100 ADA and 0 ACU - you are "bold progressive". And so on. Then - who is Manchin?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2020, 01:51:34 PM »

*Centrist/Conservative Democrat defeats Progressive in primary* "Don't be so unreasonable, you want the Republicans/Trump to win just to 'send a message'!? Just because your candidate didn't win doesn't mean you're being 'excluded.' We need to work together, so unite behind the Democrat."

*Progressive defeats Centrist/Conservative Democrat* "How dare Democrats move (relatively/even slightly) to the left! They're excluding me! I'm voting Republican to send them a message!"

My cousin did exactly that in 2016. He wasn't big fan of Trump, but he hated Hillary more))))
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2020, 01:53:21 PM »

But when was last time centrist/conservative Democrat defeats incumbent progressive Democrat in primary without major scandal against incumbent? Progressives much more often defeat moderates incumbents than the opposite
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2020, 01:53:36 PM »

Unamused

FDR and LBJ, both of whom wanted to establish national health care systems, were neither moderates. FDR was a progressive in my opinion, and LBJ was an establishment Liberal, but of course both are also the products of their time. And you’re trying to tell me Southern Dixiecrats weren’t a powerful force in the party, particularly in Congress, constantly holding up their progressive agendas’s? I’m glad Dixiecrats like you have gone from a powerful force to a pipsqueak, sorry not sorry.

Moderates still control this party. And yes both Biden and Hillary are moderates. Hillary didn’t even support a public option FFS.

Absolutely no. Which were their ratings while in Senate? About 80-85 ADA and 10-15 ACU. These are not "moderate's ratings", these are solid establishment liberal ratings.... A person, which support liberal agenda in 4 cases out of 5 is not a moderate, but - liberal.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »

Glorious news Smiley
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »

Yeah! March, march left))))))
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »

Unamused

1. I'm not Dixiecrat and I don't like Dixiecrats
2. What is your logic? Who is progressive and liberal Democrats in your opinion? Is Sanders liberal and Omar progressive? And wasn't Obamacare a progressive reform?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »

But when was last time centrist/conservative Democrat defeats incumbent progressive Democrat in primary without major scandal against incumbent? Progressives much more often defeat moderates incumbents than the opposite

An incumbent? I’m not sure, there aren’t that many incumbents in the current progressive wing, but I’m sure that it will happen as we get more progressives in local and federal government. Centrist Democrats have quite regularly defeated progressive candidates, even in very liberal areas.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2020, 03:19:48 PM »

I see the centrist crybabies are out in full force today. This doesn't even represent some grand purging of moderates from the Democratic party or whatever, this just means that moderate Democrats need to make the case to their constituents on why they deserve re-election or not. If they can't do that, then that's on them.

Holding open contempt for primary voters and hoping the candidates lose in the general is well, idiocy))), as some would put it.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2020, 07:40:47 PM »

If any of y'all want to read on why these guys who were ousted suck and who the challengers are:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies