Question about America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:09:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Question about America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question about America  (Read 485 times)
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2020, 06:21:59 AM »

Look at this picture.

Do you think America is a stolen land ?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:37:37 AM »

If you liked that, you're gonna love Brazil. And Russia. And Australia. And the rest of the Westerm hemisphere. And England. And Turkey. And Japan.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 07:00:12 AM »

Do you think America is a stolen land ?

Such an overwhelming force pushing Native American nations aside & taking their land just because they wanted it certainly seems like theft, yes.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 10:39:35 AM »

To the victor belongs the spoils.  Calling White settlement of the Americas "theft" readily ignores the fact that races of people have moved around and mixed about the world for millennia; a race of people can only claim a "right" to a segment of land insofar as they're able to defend it.

However, it should go without saying that American slavery is of course our nation's greatest sin. 
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 01:15:18 PM »

According to the U.S. Supreme Court, yes, it was. Cathcon is of course correct to point out that conquest and genocide are not unique to the United States.

a race of people can only claim a "right" to a segment of land insofar as they're able to defend it.
I don't think you've thought this all the way through.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 02:59:41 PM »

I mean yes but not uniquely. I can’t think of any country where the original people who settled a land still exist there and only there.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 06:08:59 PM »

a race of people can only claim a "right" to a segment of land insofar as they're able to defend it.

Is this suppose to be about Israel?  I have no problem with support for the Israeli state as an established American foreign policy priority, but to say they have some sort of exogenous "right" to the lands they now occupy is obviously silly.  One doesn't have to be a rabid Zionist to support contemporary Israel.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »

Is this suppose to be about Israel?  I have no problem with support for the Israeli state as an established American foreign policy priority, but to say they have some sort of exogenous "right" to the lands they now occupy is obviously silly.  One doesn't have to be a rabid Zionist to support contemporary Israel.
Actually, I was thinking of this. But more broadly, the notion that "might makes right" —while perhaps a factual assessment of the historical relationship between truth and power in a deeply cynical way —is rather lacking as a moral framework. It's difficult to meaningfully generalize about four hundred years of history involving relations between a dozen or so European powers and literally hundreds of Indian nations —but this story is not as simple as one group of people moving out and another group of people moving in. Large parts of it include actions that can only objectively be described as genocide.* I'm not suggesting you condone those actions, but it's very difficult to separate the deliberate efforts to exterminate Indian populations with the forced removal of those peoples from their ancestral lands. Maybe "theft" isn't the precisely right word, but if a militarily-superior alien power appeared in our orbit and demanded that we cede the Earth to them, I think most people would be rightfully p*ssed and perceive that to be unjust.

* Yes, Indians also perpetrated massacres and other atrocities. If we are being objective, however —and "was ___ theft" is an objective rather than subjective question —that does not change the calculation. And, of course, Indian attempts to exterminate European colonists were noticeably less successful.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 12:24:13 AM »

Two things can simultaneously be true:
- A vast majority of historical polities have at some point or other and to various scales forcefully invaded and colonized land by displacing its previous occupants.
- That it still a terrible thing to do and we need to acknowledge it.

It's really not that f**king hard.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies