What are you having for dinner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:01:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What are you having for dinner?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What are you having for dinner?  (Read 915 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2020, 04:00:55 AM »

I'm running out of ideas for things to cook. Share with me your plans for your big meal of the day, whenever that might be. I also am cool with hearing about whatever delicious takeout or delivery you had, so it doesn't have to be home-cooked.

Basically, let's talk about food and maybe share recommendations and recipes?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 04:19:59 AM »

I'm bad at perfecting and memorizing recipes.

Channa masala (with rice) or chicken biryani are always good takeout options though. I prefer them spicy but there's mild as well.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:37:48 AM »

Recently I have had a few different things for dinner, I'm a high school student and my dad doesn't eat dinner usually so 4-5 days a week I make my dinner. If anyone is familiar with Schwans I've had a few of their items recently and they're pretty good, it's been 10 years but I'm still angry about the loss of chicken parmesan from their menu. I made grilled cheese and tomato soup a few days ago with the George Foreman grill and microwave. Last night I made some spaghetti noodles, tonight I'll probably Mac N Cheese depending on how hungry I am I'll either have 2 of the single serving easy Macs or a box of Velveeta.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:45:56 AM »

Soft tacos with spiced mince, tomato, lettuce, grated cheese and guacamole.

The guacamole is just 1 avocado, chili and lime. Topped with just a light salsa and salt.

Dessert - Peanut Brittle Ice Cream topped with Chocolate.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 06:10:56 AM »

While this doesn't fit the thread perfectly, about 15 minutes ago I got hungry and couldn't think of anything to eat so I took a tuna pouch, some saltines and hot sauce and then put the tuna on the saltine and then hot sauce on it and it made a good little snack
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 09:36:22 AM »

For lunch I'll be having carrot, egg and falafel salad, it goes great with pita bread
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »

Gettin’ some Margherita pizza back in good ole Iowa tonight.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »

I have had an absurd amount of pizza or pizza related meals this week. My wife needs to eat really bland foods recently, so that means I have to handle my dinners on my own, which ends up defaulting to the pizza in the freezer. Tonight might be takeout since I am going out for a haircut at 6.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 04:17:45 PM »

I have had an absurd amount of pizza or pizza related meals this week. My wife needs to eat really bland foods recently, so that means I have to handle my dinners on my own, which ends up defaulting to the pizza in the freezer. Tonight might be takeout since I am going out for a haircut at 6.

Frozen pizzas have definitely been our "don't know what to have" fallback during the COVID stuff.

I'm bad at perfecting and memorizing recipes.

Channa masala (with rice) or chicken biryani are always good takeout options though. I prefer them spicy but there's mild as well.

I can't memorize recipes. Just not how my brain works. Luckily, my mom and stepmom were both amazing cooks and passed a lot of paper recipes on to me. I've gotten to the point where I'm brave enough to mess with recipes I've made many times, but I usually don't stray too far.

My mom told me when I was young, "if you can read, you can cook," and that's even more true now with the internet to show you how to do some of the less common cooking terms. So I have a huge hoard of recipe books that I don't look at often enough. 🤣
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »

Lasagna with Spinach and Garlic. 😋
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »

German dinner is usually cold (lunch is always warm), but sometimes we have another warm meal. Some of our dinners:

- Cassic "vesper": Bread with salami or bacon and/or cheese in addition to vegetables. There many different combinations here (Wikipedia image)

- My favorite: Salmon filet (fried in the pan with oil) and Greek salad (cucumber, tomotoes, Greek feta and paprika in olive oil with some vinegar, plus salt and oregano).

- Salad with either crabs or tuna fish (or chicken wings, cold and warm). I'm usually adding lot of corn and paprika.

- "Egg bread", Put bread slices in stirred eggs with a little milk and briefly in the pan (with butter). This is a recepie from my Greek grandma.

- Noodle soup. Greek style is with chicken broth and an egg (that slowly must be mixed into the broth due to temperature difference).

If there's something left from lunch, I'm going to have it for dinner.
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 06:06:20 PM »

(Peruvian-style) Locro, a pumpkin-based stew with vegetables and cheese

Great dish for cold weather
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 02:33:27 AM »

German dinner is usually cold (lunch is always warm), but sometimes we have another warm meal. Some of our dinners:

- Cassic "vesper": Bread with salami or bacon and/or cheese in addition to vegetables. There many different combinations here (Wikipedia image)

- My favorite: Salmon filet (fried in the pan with oil) and Greek salad (cucumber, tomotoes, Greek feta and paprika in olive oil with some vinegar, plus salt and oregano).

- Salad with either crabs or tuna fish (or chicken wings, cold and warm). I'm usually adding lot of corn and paprika.

- "Egg bread", Put bread slices in stirred eggs with a little milk and briefly in the pan (with butter). This is a recepie from my Greek grandma.

- Noodle soup. Greek style is with chicken broth and an egg (that slowly must be mixed into the broth due to temperature difference).

If there's something left from lunch, I'm going to have it for dinner.

Danke für die Angabe! (I hope I chose the right noun, lol. Trying to say thanks for the information)

So, my dad and stepmom are of German-only ancestry (my grandfather came in the 30s; my stepmom's family has been here longer) and they both refer to lunch as dinner because it was the hot meal and the larger meal. I associated this with their being farmers. My mom grew up in the suburbs and her family was mostly urban historically, of Irish background, and for her dinner was supper, because it was the larger meal.

Previously, when considering dinner as lunch vs dinner as supper, I hadn't taken ancestry into consideration, so thank you for sharing that! Got me thinking about how that's likely one of the differences as well as jobs etc, if warm meal at lunch is common in Germany.

Personally, I don't use "dinner" as a word because of the differences between my parents. Breakfast, lunch, and supper, and if you invite me to dinner I will make no assumptions.

Anyway, today I just had a Hardee's burger and fries, as I had to do caretaking duties over lunch and didn't get food until 3, so it was lunch and supper all in one go...
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 02:35:54 AM »

I never would have thought of combining pumpkin with cheese. This sounds really good!
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 07:30:11 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2020, 07:36:19 AM by Alex »

Pumpkin or squash (I'll be using them as synonyms as many of these dishes can be made with either, but kabocha and butternut and cheese is a common combination over here. Stuffed pumpkin often has cheese on it, as does
I never would have thought of combining pumpkin with cheese. This sounds really good!

Pumpkin or squash (I'm going to use them as synonyms because many of these dishes can be made with both, butternut zapallo criollo and kobucha are commonly used) and cheese (most often mozzarella or queso cremoso [a local style that's very close to mozzarella]) is a common combination over here

stuffed pumpkin often has cheese on it, as does (savory) pumpkin pie and pumpkin empanadas. Pumpkin soup is commonly served with shredded cheese. Humita  (close to a meatless corn tamal) may have pumpkin and cheese and then there's milanesas de zapallo a la napolitana (breaded fried or baked pumpkin slices with tomato sauce or tomato slices and cheese)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 09:01:28 AM »

Kept it simple this week and made a big pot of chicken spaghetti (yes, I really am that redneck) that I will poke at over the next week or so. 
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 12:22:52 PM »

Kept it simple this week and made a big pot of chicken spaghetti (yes, I really am that redneck) that I will poke at over the next week or so. 

Chicken with spaghetti noodles?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 02:32:21 PM »

Chicken with spaghetti noodles?

It's Southern comfort food.  Shredded chicken breast, spaghetti noodles, onion, bell pepper, rotel and a whole lotta Velveeta.  A guilty pleasure of mine.   
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »

Falafel and potatoes slices with Tarí chilli sauce (it's much closer to the consistency of mayo or mustard than Tabasco)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 05:35:26 PM »

Jalfrezi
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 05:41:05 PM »

Passion fruit margaritas
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 05:45:42 PM »

A spinach artichoke sandwich
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 06:00:11 PM »

Glenfiddich 18 yo.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 06:18:32 PM »

McDonald's fries.

I regret nothing.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 08:58:10 PM »

My last four dinners:

Monday: lemon spinach lentil pilaf. Cook rice and lentils with some stock. Then, cook onion, garlic, ginger on low heat, doused in lemon juice. Let simmer with thyme and oregano. Pour vegetables onto rice/lentils when done.

Tuesday and Wednesday: roasted Russet (Thursday) or sweet (Wednesday) potato with a side of black eyed peas. Tuesday I ate the potatoes and peas with a lot of BBQ sauce, Thursday I ate threw some spinach in with the black eyes peas as well as some vinegar, red pepper flakes, and raw spinach.

Thursday (right now): white rice with some curried okra. I'm frying up some pressed tofu to throw in with the curry.

All of these I made while consuming copious amounts of alcohol.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies