Is Trump holding a Bible this election's Dukakis in a tank? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:48:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Trump holding a Bible this election's Dukakis in a tank? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Trump holding a Bible this election's Dukakis in a tank?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Is Trump holding a Bible this election's Dukakis in a tank?  (Read 4909 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 02, 2020, 11:28:02 PM »

I don't know.  I think presidents need to be more open about their faith and actually attend church, but Trump did not go to the church to pray or make a statement calling for unity (as we're all God's children).  That was not the time for a political stunt, and I really don't like the Bible being used as one.

I can't vote for Biden because of abortion, but I'm starting to question whether I can vote for Trump again (that's not to say that I've come to the conclusion that I can't, because I still don't know).  I suspect that similar thoughts are going through the minds of a lot of Christians right now, especially those who only mildly supported Trump to begin with.

Just so you know, you’ve been used as a pawn by racist Republicans for years. Initially, Southern evangelical leaders did not care about abortion at all and even affirmed it repeatedly following Roe v. Wade. (Ironically, they saw it as a Catholic issue, and Biden is a Catholic.) It was only when they realized they needed an issue to exploit and rally their base around (now that open racism and segregation didn’t work) that they suddenly changed their tune. Now it’s the worst sin ever (even though it’s never clearly mentioned in the Bible) and mass infanticide!

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/734303135/throughline-traces-evangelicals-history-on-the-abortion-issue

If you really are a single-issue abortion voter, and are evangelical (I know you’re Southern), you’ve been played. There’s no getting around it. It’s just such a dumb thing anyway. Trump hasn’t outlawed abortion and he’s not going to. We know he approved of it in the past and probably has paid for a few; he’s using you too. Roberts probably isn’t gonna allow Roe v. Wade to be overturned. Biden, who supported the Hyde Amendment until recently and has always been a moderate on the issue, is not some radical pro-abortion activist who is gonna make abortions in this country skyrocket. Nothing will change dramatically regarding abortion if he wins. It’s a dead issue that is cynically used by Republicans as a political ploy to manipulate people.

Please understand what the president actually does and does not do. Voting solely based on his (public) views on abortion is ridiculous. There is an insane amount at stake here, including whether our democratic rule of law stands. You seemingly recognize this man is a charlatan who is no Christian or even a conservative. Why would you ever consciously vote for that? You may not agree with Biden on everything, but you can’t seriously tell me you don’t think he’s a more compassionate leader who’s more sincere about his faith (and everything) and who will respect this nation’s citizens and laws more. And that’s what really matters for a president.

Evangelical leaders are highly imperfect, but I don't see what alternative Evangelicals who are convinced of the evil of abortion have. Especially considering that Biden now opposes the Hyde Amendment, if one is serious about opposing legalized abortion and sincerely believe it to be a horrendous act, the Republicans are easily the lesser of two evils. The motivations of Evangelical leaders aren't really relevant to whether an act is moral or immoral, and as you point out Catholics had already understood abortion to be immoral without the need for Evangelical leaders to persuade them, as well as the Protestant Reformers who had condemned the act of abortion in no uncertain terms.
In all honesty, I don't think Biden actually believes this or would enforce it. He seems to avoid abortion while campaigning too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies