Is Trump holding a Bible this election's Dukakis in a tank?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:55:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Trump holding a Bible this election's Dukakis in a tank?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Is Trump holding a Bible this election's Dukakis in a tank?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Is Trump holding a Bible this election's Dukakis in a tank?  (Read 4910 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 02, 2020, 01:31:50 PM »

Or Bush in front of the "Mission Accomplished" banner, although that was more of a factor in 2008 than his own re-election.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 01:46:46 PM »

It should be recieved far, far worse than Dukakis' tank thing.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »

Let's face it, Trump and a Bible go together about as well as Dukakis and a tank.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 02:06:34 PM »

Nah, Trump could take a dump on the Oval Office and Republicans would argue that his turds smell like roses.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 02:18:35 PM »

Here is the YouTube video: https://youtu.be/0oRQF68psdY

It's just disgraceful.
He keeps holding and displaying the Bible like one of his signed Executive Orders.
Turns the Bible one direction then another. Up high, then down low to his side. I mean after his job as President is over, he should think about becoming a Price-Is-Right model for merchandise items.
The man has no decency and respect; huge failure.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 02:20:33 PM »

It would be if the religious right's faith were genuine, but it's not, so it won't be.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 04:32:36 PM »

Attorney General Barr ordered authorities to clear protesters near White House, DOJ official says.

Attorney General William Barr on Monday evening ordered authorities to clear a crowd of protesters that had gathered near the White House, according to a Justice Department official, minutes ahead of President Donald Trump's televised address from the Rose Garden.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/02/politics/barr-protests-white-house/index.html
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 04:43:35 PM »

It should be, but the religious right doesn't mind if its Christians are fake. 
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 05:42:58 PM »

Since, surprisingly, the polls today showed even evangelicals were not too fond of Trump's actions so far, perhaps there is more of a danger for this to bite him than you might think.

Obviously he won't lose evangelicals or anything, but this sort of thing might make those religious people who were already lukewarm about him less likely to vote for him than they were before, even if they don't vote for Biden either.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »

it's way worse. the tank thing was a meme, this is the president violating the first amendment
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 06:31:34 PM »

Yes, pending Trump doing something even stupider like singing karaoke of Gangsta Gangsta as outreach to the black community
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 06:37:14 PM »

Sinclair Lewis called it.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 06:39:37 PM »

Let's face it, Trump and a Bible go together about as well as Dukakis and a tank.

The Orange Clown could recite every segment of the 'Art of the Deal', but couldn't even say what his favorite passage of the bible was.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 06:40:01 PM »

It would be if the religious right's faith were genuine, but it's not, so it won't be.
They're not the swing voters. To them he looked absurd.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 08:49:23 PM »

No, it's more like [insert 3rd world dictator with no dignity]
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »

It's infinitely worse! Dukakis may have looked silly in an attempt to blatantly pander, but in hindsight it really was a nothing-burger of a controversy. He also didn't get hundreds of people maimed in order to do it.

As for the Bush "Mission Accomplished" fiasco from way back, that is one area where I'll defend him because I think that banner being behind him on The Intrepid was coincidental. If I recall correctly, it was unrelated to Bush's foreign policy. Still though, he indirectly harmed people like Trump did, so it is still similar to this in other ways.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 09:20:22 PM »

I don't know.  I think presidents need to be more open about their faith and actually attend church, but Trump did not go to the church to pray or make a statement calling for unity (as we're all God's children).  That was not the time for a political stunt, and I really don't like the Bible being used as one.

I can't vote for Biden because of abortion, but I'm starting to question whether I can vote for Trump again (that's not to say that I've come to the conclusion that I can't, because I still don't know).  I suspect that similar thoughts are going through the minds of a lot of Christians right now, especially those who only mildly supported Trump to begin with.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 09:27:17 PM »

I don't know.  I think presidents need to be more open about their faith and actually attend church, but Trump did not go to the church to pray or make a statement calling for unity (as we're all God's children).  That was not the time for a political stunt, and I really don't like the Bible being used as one.

I can't vote for Biden because of abortion, but I'm starting to question whether I can vote for Trump again (that's not to say that I've come to the conclusion that I can't, because I still don't know).  I suspect that similar thoughts are going through the minds of a lot of Christians right now, especially those who only mildly supported Trump to begin with.

Vote for Big Don a true conservative
roxas11
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 09:55:18 PM »

I personally think this is an awful comparison

Dukakis stunt hurt nobody but himself in the end
Trump stunt had cops attacking and firing tear gas at peaceful protesters

A laughed at Dukakis silly helmet but I do not find anything humorous or funny about what Trump did yesterday
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 10:21:23 PM »

I don't know.  I think presidents need to be more open about their faith and actually attend church, but Trump did not go to the church to pray or make a statement calling for unity (as we're all God's children).  That was not the time for a political stunt, and I really don't like the Bible being used as one.

I can't vote for Biden because of abortion, but I'm starting to question whether I can vote for Trump again (that's not to say that I've come to the conclusion that I can't, because I still don't know).  I suspect that similar thoughts are going through the minds of a lot of Christians right now, especially those who only mildly supported Trump to begin with.

Just so you know, you’ve been used as a pawn by racist Republicans for years. Initially, Southern evangelical leaders did not care about abortion at all and even affirmed it repeatedly following Roe v. Wade. (Ironically, they saw it as a Catholic issue, and Biden is a Catholic.) It was only when they realized they needed an issue to exploit and rally their base around (now that open racism and segregation didn’t work) that they suddenly changed their tune. Now it’s the worst sin ever (even though it’s never clearly mentioned in the Bible) and mass infanticide!

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/734303135/throughline-traces-evangelicals-history-on-the-abortion-issue

If you really are a single-issue abortion voter, and are evangelical (I know you’re Southern), you’ve been played. There’s no getting around it. It’s just such a dumb thing anyway. Trump hasn’t outlawed abortion and he’s not going to. We know he approved of it in the past and probably has paid for a few; he’s using you too. Roberts probably isn’t gonna allow Roe v. Wade to be overturned. Biden, who supported the Hyde Amendment until recently and has always been a moderate on the issue, is not some radical pro-abortion activist who is gonna make abortions in this country skyrocket. Nothing will change dramatically regarding abortion if he wins. It’s a dead issue that is cynically used by Republicans as a political ploy to manipulate people.

Please understand what the president actually does and does not do. Voting solely based on his (public) views on abortion is ridiculous. There is an insane amount at stake here, including whether our democratic rule of law stands. You seemingly recognize this man is a charlatan who is no Christian or even a conservative. Why would you ever consciously vote for that? You may not agree with Biden on everything, but you can’t seriously tell me you don’t think he’s a more compassionate leader who’s more sincere about his faith (and everything) and who will respect this nation’s citizens and laws more. And that’s what really matters for a president.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 10:58:00 PM »

I totally get where you are coming from and he can be a lot better with his words at times but I hope you vote for Trump in the end.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 11:22:32 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 11:26:23 PM by Associate Justice PiT »

Just so you know, you’ve been used as a pawn by racist Republicans for years. Initially, Southern evangelical leaders did not care about abortion at all and even affirmed it repeatedly following Roe v. Wade. (Ironically, they saw it as a Catholic issue, and Biden is a Catholic.) It was only when they realized they needed an issue to exploit and rally their base around (now that open racism and segregation didn’t work) that they suddenly changed their tune. Now it’s the worst sin ever (even though it’s never clearly mentioned in the Bible) and mass infanticide!

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/734303135/throughline-traces-evangelicals-history-on-the-abortion-issue

If you really are a single-issue abortion voter, and are evangelical (I know you’re Southern), you’ve been played. There’s no getting around it. It’s just such a dumb thing anyway. Trump hasn’t outlawed abortion and he’s not going to. We know he approved of it in the past and probably has paid for a few; he’s using you too. Roberts probably isn’t gonna allow Roe v. Wade to be overturned. Biden, who supported the Hyde Amendment until recently and has always been a moderate on the issue, is not some radical pro-abortion activist who is gonna make abortions in this country skyrocket. Nothing will change dramatically regarding abortion if he wins. It’s a dead issue that is cynically used by Republicans as a political ploy to manipulate people.

Please understand what the president actually does and does not do. Voting solely based on his (public) views on abortion is ridiculous. There is an insane amount at stake here, including whether our democratic rule of law stands. You seemingly recognize this man is a charlatan who is no Christian or even a conservative. Why would you ever consciously vote for that? You may not agree with Biden on everything, but you can’t seriously tell me you don’t think he’s a more compassionate leader who’s more sincere about his faith (and everything) and who will respect this nation’s citizens and laws more. And that’s what really matters for a president.

Evangelical leaders are highly imperfect, but I don't see what alternative Evangelicals who are convinced of the evil of abortion have. Especially considering that Biden now opposes the Hyde Amendment, if one is serious about opposing legalized abortion and sincerely believe it to be a horrendous act, the Republicans are easily the lesser of two evils. The motivations of Evangelical leaders aren't really relevant to whether an act is moral or immoral, and as you point out Catholics had already understood abortion to be immoral without the need for Evangelical leaders to persuade them, as well as the Protestant Reformers who had condemned the act of abortion in no uncertain terms.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 11:25:31 PM »

I suspect that similar thoughts are going through the minds of a lot of Christians right now, especially those who only mildly supported Trump to begin with.

The good Christians of this country didn't mind separating Mexican kids from their families, dozens of sexual assault scandals, the embezzlement of taxpayer dollars, and nepotism that would put the Carolingians to shame, but they'll be damned if they let a politician use their religion as a political prop for what I can only assume is the umpteen-billionth time.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 11:28:02 PM »

Evangelical leaders are highly imperfect, but I don't see what alternative Evangelicals who are convinced of the evil of abortion have. Especially considering that Biden now opposes the Hyde Amendment, if one is serious about opposing legalized abortion and sincerely believe it to be a horrendous act, the Republicans are easily the lesser of two evils. The motivations of Evangelical leaders aren't really relevant to whether an act is moral or immoral, and as you point out Catholics had already understood abortion to be immoral without the need for Evangelical leaders to persuade them, as well as the Protestant Reformers who had condemned the act of abortion in no uncertain terms.
In all honesty, I don't think Biden actually believes this or would enforce it. He seems to avoid abortion while campaigning too.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 11:34:47 PM »

Are there any self-described 'Christians' on this forum who actually approved of this stunt Trump pulled? 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies