Which states are in the Rust Belt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:33:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which states are in the Rust Belt?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Minnesota

Iowa

Missouri

Illinois

Wisconsin

Michigan

Indiana

Ohio

Kentucky

West Virginia

Maryland

Pennsylvania

Delaware

New Jersey

New York

Massachusetts

Connecticut

Rhode Island

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which states are in the Rust Belt?  (Read 923 times)
pikachu
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »

Inspired by a recent discussion on the 2020 board.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 05:29:53 PM »

Rust Belt is a state of mind, not a region per se IMO. Milwaukee is rust belt, Madison isn't. Birmingham is rust belt, Mobile isn't.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 12:23:12 AM »

If the definition of "Rust Belt" includes any state with regions containing significant numbers of abandoned former factories/manufacturing buildings, etc., then there is a case to be made for just about every state listed here. For example, I made a number of visits to Bridgeport, CT over the past 2-3 years, and while there I noticed at least one building which appears to be an abandoned former manufacturing building.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 08:30:41 AM »

Parts of each of these might qualify. As others mention, I could make a case for Fall River, MA; Birmingham, AL; Wheeling, WV; Kansas City, Kansas; Elmira, NY, etc.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »

The Rust Belt, like the Corn Belt, is traditionally not defined with entire states.  For example, Illinois is a state associated with the production of corn, but Southern Illinois is not at all a part of the Corn Belt.  It's forested (Shawnee National Forest), hilly, not good for agriculture and generally looks more like areas of Kentucky and Tennessee.  In the same fashion, there are very few states that would be "entirely Rust Belt."

There are a couple of interesting maps if you do a Google Images search.  I guess I will answer which states I think of when people say "Rust Belt," and that would be Ohio, Michigan and (strictly Western and Central) Pennsylvania.  I have never really associated Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, etc. with the "Rust Belt," even if they had significant manufacturing.  I associate the term with areas that were much more heavily invested in the manufacturing sector and hurt by its decline more significantly (think Detroit going from the "richest city in America" in the 1950s to its current state of trying to rebound).  The other states I mentioned have much of their economy tied to agriculture and other sectors.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 01:22:20 PM »

Rust Belt is more a culture than a region. If I had to go regional, I would say it occupies parts of NY, PA, WV, OH, MI, IN, IL, and WI, and you can find those parts by finding the areas where rural and/or very white counties swung heavily R in 2016.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »

Rust Belt is more a culture than a region. If I had to go regional, I would say it occupies parts of NY, PA, WV, OH, MI, IN, IL, and WI, and you can find those parts by finding the areas where rural and/or very white counties swung heavily R in 2016.

What an odd definition--why not include obviously rust belt cities like Detroit, Cleveland, etc.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:05:22 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 10:25:17 PM by EastOfEden »

What an odd definition--why not include obviously rust belt cities like Detroit, Cleveland, etc.

You've misinterpreted my definition. "Areas where rural and/or very white counties swung R" includes cities that are surrounded by such counties (as Cleveland and Detroit are).

If I was trying to exclude cities for some reason, I would have said "rural and/or very white counties that swung R."
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 05:25:39 PM »

Parts of Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin, plus the city of St Louis.
clever but short
andy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 11:08:32 PM »

Rust Belt is a state of mind, not a region per se IMO. Milwaukee is rust belt, Madison isn't. Birmingham is rust belt, Mobile isn't.

Yes this. Similarly, Duluth is Rust Belt, Twin Cities not so much. NE Ohio definitely is, Columbus not so much. Rust Belt is definitely a Northern thing though, and more specifically the heart of it is the Great Lakes. I see the very heart of the Rust Belt being a broad crescent around Lake Erie, broad enough to reach down to West Virginia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies